The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating a referral system for a commercial service business

Marketing, social media, advertising

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I figured Marky Z has enough money so am going to start diving deep into referrals and seeing how good I can get at building something that turns into an absolute machine for sending me high-quality leads.

I have a new commercial cleaning business that's a few months old, and my latest client that just signed on was via referral. The wife of the manager at one of my sites we clean referred me to a commercial real estate agency that I hope to turn into a lot of referrals.

I'm about to read a book called The Referral Engine by John Jantsch (Duct Tape Marketing), but would love to hear others experience in getting referrals for local service businesses, which I think will end up being different to how referrals are set up for B2C product businesses.

ref.jpg

One thing I do remember from years ago, was people getting a really high success rate in making the reward for referral not something that the referrer gets, but something that they can pass along to someone else. So in my case it would be telling the real estate something like any clients that lease commercial property through them can be offered some kind of xyz..

The other point I remember is being careful with offering a discount as it can sometimes cheapen the look of the service. Maybe better to offer something additional for free upon signing. In my case, maybe that's a free carpet clean, or a free initial clean that's usually more expensive and like an exit clean etc.

Would be great to hear others thoughts, and I'll update this thread as I go.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
thanks for recommending this book Matt excited to read this and see others thoughts here

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
thanks for recommending this book Matt excited to read this and see others thoughts here
Only just started but right away goes into people that are afraid to ask for referrals. This is definitely not a problem for me lol.

It's something I've seen tonnes of though, with people afraid to ask for reviews.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Up to 21 weekly clients now but holding off on any serious referral strategy until I have some casual employees. Growing fast enough naturally and I'm feeling my age a little at the moment.

The problem is in the first clean. Had 3 new clients last week, which is great, but the first clean is a deep one that can take anywhere from 4 to 10 hours.

I think I will have at least 2 different ways of going about it. There are a few that would LOVE to get something for free for themselves in exchange for a referral, and many that would prefer something that they can pass on to someone else.

I have 2 clients in particular that wouldn't be interested in either but would be more than happy to help me. With them I will ask for a short video testimonial, something brief like the personalised welcome videos you sometimes see attached to an email after signing up for something. Probably email them a link to something they can record infront of their screen right then and there. They are both in a building surrounded by great potential clients but they aren't really social with each other.

Will be interesting to compare the results.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I help a lot of cleaning businesses get more referrals using automation.

My app automatically invites them to leave a review after the job, then invites them to recommend them to their friends on Facebook by simply clicking a link and it will post something like this image below. (can be incentivised or not)

Reviews and Referrals are great as people trust more what other people say about your business than you.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 08.39.53.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 08.39.53.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 2

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I help a lot of cleaning businesses get more referrals using automation.

My app automatically invites them to leave a review after the job, then invites them to recommend them to their friends on Facebook by simply clicking a link and it will post something like this image below. (can be incentivised or not)

Reviews and Referrals are great as people trust more what other people say about your business than you.
I think that works well in residential services, I'm a big fan of review funnels for that, but I'm discovering commercial is really different.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Look up a business called Clean as a Whistle Houston. They clean carpets etc but they have the referral program on their website.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Look up a business called Clean as a Whistle Houston. They clean carpets etc but they have the referral program on their website.
Ah, yeah it's similar to mentioned above, 10% referral finders fee. I'm trying to think a bit more outside the box.

I've updated the thread title to commercial as there's such a big difference to what works with b2b.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Ah, yeah it's similar to mentioned above, 10% referral finders fee. I'm trying to think a bit more outside the box.

I've updated the thread title to commercial as there's such a big difference to what works with b2b.

That should work for commercial clients too. If they pass on some work your way could you not give them 5% off or something like that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.