The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating a Consumable/Edible Product

CKoski90

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Feb 17, 2012
So i've had a few ideas floating around that would fit into the sports supplement industry. I understand that most of these aren't approved by the FDA, but are there any other big expenses or approvals i would need to get? Or is it as simple as creating the product and packaging, branding it, and selling it through an online platform like any other product?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Figure out what your product does and then find a manufacturer that private labels a similar solution. You're talking about a long approval process, possibly lab testing, if you're out to create your own product.

If you private label something from a manufacturer that has gotten approval to sell, then you've made it much easier.

CKoski90

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Feb 17, 2012
Well some of the ideas i have are essentially combining already commonly sold supplements. It isn't a new compound and liquid or anything like that. So would finding private labels for the separate products be good enough to sell them as one?

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
I understand that most of these aren't approved by the FDA

Unlike prescription drugs and medical devices, supplements aren't individually approved by the FDA. You will need to accompany product marketing with a disclaimer that states this.

Figure out what your product does and then find a manufacturer that private labels a similar solution. You're talking about a long approval process, possibly lab testing, if you're out to create your own product.

A bit misleading. Introducing "new ingredients" not registered with the FDA comes with costly, extensive testing and red tape but this is not the case when manufacturing a custom formula containing established ingredients.

You'll need to adhere to the stipulations here: http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceReg...oryInformation/DietarySupplements/default.htm

Engage a supplement manufacturer who does contract manufacturing and they'll be able to do R&D on your formula and guide you through much of the regulatory framework.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CKoski90

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Feb 17, 2012
Thank you for the input, as the ingredients are already approved by the FDA, the thing to do is contact a manufacturer

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.