The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Corporation

jcpoolgod

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 10, 2013
I'm planning on making a successful YouTube channel..I also plan on selling books and other stuff..what business structure should I use? And what's the best place to go through to set up my business ---and another question what should I do about trademarking my brand and what not

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011
You don't need a business structure for that. No need to trademark until you start, and even then, you probably don't have to worry about it for a while. Your successful youtube channel probably won't be happening for a while.

jcpoolgod

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 10, 2013
Try to answer your first question on the businss structure first -

For most of the business, there are five ways to get started - sole proprietor, Partnership, LLC, S Corporation and C Corporation. It's not required for the sole proprietor to get EIN/FEIN (Federal Employer Identification Number), you can just use your SSN to report the business income or loss on Sch C of 1040. You have to get an EIN, if you are conducting business as partnership, LLC, S Corporation or C Corporation.

1. Which legal form of business to choose, sole proprietor, Partnership, LLC, S Corporation and C Corporation? It's suggeted to choose LLC, S Corporation or C Corporation to get the limited liablity protection. Note that LLC and S Corporation may help you to pay less tax as it's single layer of income tax. However, C Corproation is the best form to get funding from Venture Capital, go IPO, etc. You can read this post and relevant links, and make the decision based on your case. http://bzelf.com/legal-form-of-business/
  2. Here is the general startup checklist: http://bzelf.com/start-up-checklist/
  3. Here is the checklist for C corporation: http://bzelf.com/checklist-for-starting-a-corporation/

Regarding business name, here is some get-started info: http://bzelf.com/choose-a-corporate-name/

- check the name's availability, start with the reservation with your chosen state's SOS first. Work on trademark later.

let us know if you have any follow-up questions, and we will write more posts.
*******how much does it cost to set this all and how long does it take? I appreciate all your help.

D

DeletedUser394

With all due respect, these are very basic questions, that are entirely location dependent.

Use google, start trying to get traction/build an audience for this youtube channel, then worry about this stuff. Because it'll probably be a lot harder than you think.

You're trying to come up with a solution for a problem that you don't have.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
Odds are ... the only net result of incorporation will be a lot of unnecessary fees paid to the government and some pain in the a$$ paperwork.

It is highly unlikely you will need ... or even be able to avail yourself of ... the limited liability protections that entice many to incorporate.

So I say save your money ... and operate as a solo dba for now.

Otherwise ... I would recommend incorporating as a Wyoming LLC.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
and what if i don't get all this in place then everything takes off quickly?
Chances are it won't, successful youtube channels don't happen overnight

unless you have other big names promoting you

Don't worry about a business license at all right now, wait till the ball has already been rolling for some time even then you probably still wouldn't need it

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EntreAdvisor

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 17, 2015
Nashville
and what if i don't get all this in place then everything takes off quickly?
Worst case is you register your business when you gain momentum or traction. Right now, just track your expenses. When you make some income, come back and talk. A few other comments:
  • Talk to a tax CPA before making decisions on business structure
  • Do not use a "box" service like legal zoom to set it up. That is both a waste of money and doesn't give you the "why" behind why you are choosing one structure over another
  • The guys are spot on - it is location dependent and you are just signing up to pay fees and do paperwork

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.