Hey Fastlaners,
I know this is a business forum, but my business happens to be in sports (hockey specifically) so let me pick your brains for a moment if you would be so kind!
I currently play professional hockey and have lived my whole life playing competitively. As a kid it all seemed completely normal to me, skipping school to attend tournament games on Fridays (sometimes even missing Thursday because I needed the “rest” before the big tournament), outrageous equipment cost, team fees, and not to mention a regular weekly rotation of feuding parents fighting and yelling at pretty much anyone and everything including their own children.
I could go on for days talking about crazy parent stories that I have witnessed first hand as a kid, and I know minor hockey has only become more competitive since I was playing so I can only imagine what’s going on today!
Anyways, now that I am older, do not have kids myself, and am looking to create my business in the minor hockey market I look back at my experiences and think, HOW IN THE HELL IS THIS NORMAL?? HAVE PARENTS LOST THEIR MINDS?
So I have a few questions for any parents who have experienced “competitive” sports or are currently experiencing them...
Questions:
First of all, as a parent, is their any sort of goals to having your child play competitive sports? Example: Get a scholarship? Play for their country in the Olympics? Or is a 7 figure contract in the National League the only reason they are playing?
Secondly, do parents have any sort of knowledgeable direction for their child’s path through the sports they choose for them? Example: if the goal for my child is to get a scholarship in this sport, then does he have the grades? What is the NCAA’s requirements for my child’s eligibility? Are they on track and currently playing on a team that will allow for them to get the exposure they need to be seen by NCAA teams?
Finally, do parents believe that after all the money and time they have invested into their child that screaming and yelling at them is a beneficial way of seeing a return on that investment? Example: are you helping shape your child into a respectable, strong, confident person... and athlete?
Appreciate any input or advice!
Thanks
I know this is a business forum, but my business happens to be in sports (hockey specifically) so let me pick your brains for a moment if you would be so kind!
I currently play professional hockey and have lived my whole life playing competitively. As a kid it all seemed completely normal to me, skipping school to attend tournament games on Fridays (sometimes even missing Thursday because I needed the “rest” before the big tournament), outrageous equipment cost, team fees, and not to mention a regular weekly rotation of feuding parents fighting and yelling at pretty much anyone and everything including their own children.
I could go on for days talking about crazy parent stories that I have witnessed first hand as a kid, and I know minor hockey has only become more competitive since I was playing so I can only imagine what’s going on today!
Anyways, now that I am older, do not have kids myself, and am looking to create my business in the minor hockey market I look back at my experiences and think, HOW IN THE HELL IS THIS NORMAL?? HAVE PARENTS LOST THEIR MINDS?
So I have a few questions for any parents who have experienced “competitive” sports or are currently experiencing them...
Questions:
First of all, as a parent, is their any sort of goals to having your child play competitive sports? Example: Get a scholarship? Play for their country in the Olympics? Or is a 7 figure contract in the National League the only reason they are playing?
Secondly, do parents have any sort of knowledgeable direction for their child’s path through the sports they choose for them? Example: if the goal for my child is to get a scholarship in this sport, then does he have the grades? What is the NCAA’s requirements for my child’s eligibility? Are they on track and currently playing on a team that will allow for them to get the exposure they need to be seen by NCAA teams?
Finally, do parents believe that after all the money and time they have invested into their child that screaming and yelling at them is a beneficial way of seeing a return on that investment? Example: are you helping shape your child into a respectable, strong, confident person... and athlete?
Appreciate any input or advice!
Thanks
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
