The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Competing with the Big Dog?

PurEnergy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 4, 2008
I've located my target market. The big dog on the block is ranked in the top 4000 in traffic in the US. Thier site is extensive and seems to have all the bases covered, they offer everything and make a beginner look like it would be impossible to ever catch up. In my initial research I don't see much competition as they seem to have the market locked up.

Although it seems daunting, it also looks like a possibility of being bought out if something of value is created to this market.

I am experienced in the area of interest. How can I go about beginning to find a niche within the community to ulimately generate my own traffic? Or is this even the way I should be thinking? Thier site is obviously working and has been for a long time. They have an affiliate program but I'm not sure if this is fastlane.

Any suggestions would be of great help at this point. Thank-you. :coffee:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I've located my target market. The big dog on the block is ranked in the top 4000 in traffic in the US. Thier site is extensive and seems to have all the bases covered, they offer everything and make a beginner look like it would be impossible to ever catch up. In my initial research I don't see much competition as they seem to have the market locked up.

Although it seems daunting, it also looks like a possibility of being bought out if something of value is created to this market.

I am experienced in the area of interest. How can I go about beginning to find a niche within the community to ulimately generate my own traffic? Or is this even the way I should be thinking? Thier site is obviously working and has been for a long time. They have an affiliate program but I'm not sure if this is fastlane.

Any suggestions would be of great help at this point. Thank-you. :coffee:
No more parking for you; rep+++ for the good thread!

It's difficult to give advice when the specific industry is not known, but how about catering to specific demographic within the market? For example: instead of being a toy store, you could become a toy store that specializes in gifts for infants/toddlers, or you could cater to newborns with personalized gifts for their rooms. Again, it will obviously be different when applied to your specific industry, but I think you get the idea.

Anywho, this thread brought up a question I've had before. I'll keep it within this thread b/c it's definitely related, but it can be moved if need be. You talked about building something that would be a viable option to sell to the Big Dog. What are all of your opinions as far as this? I've always considered it as a good option when people claim, "I can't get into that business because it's already dominated by [dominant company name here]." However, should this be your initial motivation, or would it be better to go in with the attitude to be better than them?

bpk1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jan 13, 2008
I would go in with the idea of improving or doing one better than your competition. That'll make them want to buy you out, to get rid of competition and use the lapse in their company you found to their advantage. Saying you can't go into one business because it's dominated by a company, to me is lazy(not fastlane), and doesn't show initiative.

Pur, to create this value, find a flaw in their procedures, or some part of their business and make it the best you can. Or if you can find an area that isn't covered well, such as what Yankees suggested with being more specific, business could grow very rapidly.

PurEnergy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 4, 2008
HEY, thanks for taking me out of the parking lot!

I'm really hesitant to put out specifics simply because, well you know, we're on the Internet. But, I will say that my experience and interests led me to what I'm thinking. I have experience with a certain market and located the big dog in the market. I've now noticed that they are owned (I believe) by a very big dog.

The competitors site is vast and doing a copycat site doesn't seem to be the way to go. The interest I have in the market is not being taken advantage of by the site currently. So, now I'm thinking that if I keep my site in-line with the way they conduct themselves, something could come of it. By that I mean that I probably can't offer adivce to my market on how to sweet talk Russian girls and post naked pictures. So there goes all the fun right! No.

I don't think that focusing on something so specific as selling to one company is such a good idea. But, I also don't think there's anything wrong with monkey see monkey do.

Other than participating on the Internet for a long time and knowing how to do a search, I'm brand new to e-business. This site and MJ (from years back) have inspired me to at least finally get started in the right direction. E-business IS the way to go and the place to be. You guys will be the first to see my new site once it's up and I'll be looking for some help with content.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
This is a post MJ posted some while back...you may of read it. When you are thinking about your business, don't think of how you can beat the other guys but think how you can bring better value to your target market. If you can do this, marketing will be much less stressful. So while thinking of your potential site, also think about following 9 items below. If you can solve some of these with your business (especially if you can solve more than the other guys are) then you got something that could be special!

http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/showthread.php?t=3056

If you can make 1,000,000 people achieve any of the following:

1) Make them feel better
2) Help them solve a problem
3) Educate them
4) Make them look better (health, nutrition, clothing, makeup)
5) Give them security (housing, safety, health)
6) Arise a positive emotion (love, happiness, laughter, self-confidence)
7) Satisfy appetites of all kind, from basic (food) to the risqué (sexual).
8) Make things easier
9) Enhance their dreams and give hope

Do any of the above and I can guarantee you this: You will be worth millions.

So, the next time you hear yourself trolling around for opportunities to make you money, sit back and ask yourself this ...

"What do I have to offer the world?"

Offer the world something of value and the money will be close behind.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
You can use this forum as an example.

What did MJ do?
He hung out on the Rich Dad forum,
saw the issues that they were having,
that the visitors there were complaining about
and then launched a forum that fixed those issues.

So hang out at the big boy site
and listen, truly listen.
Your future customers will tell you how to compete.

PurEnergy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 4, 2008
Great ideas everyone. Kimberland, rep + for the best idea so far. Thank-you, I'll be doing exactly that. :notworthy:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.