The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Closed On A House: Quit My Job: Here I Go

Lustgarten

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Jan 23, 2018
Arizona
Hello all,

Just turned 30, closed on our first home, found out my wife and I are expecting again, and quit my comfy salaried job to go into business for myself for the first time ever. All of which, happened all at once, last week.

I’m overwhelmed, scared shitless, panicking, excited, pumped, you name it. I’m every emotion imaginable right now.

I’ve toyed with entrepreneurship ever since I was 12 and finally something has clicked and I finally took the leap and now I’m building the parachute on the way down.

The biggest thing that drove me to taking the plunge was that I finally found the biggest motivator for me.

Control.

For me, realizing how much control I could have over my life but otherwise don’t due to my choices, bahaviors, actions, or inactions was enough to push me over the edge and go for broke.

The things I can or can’t buy, the experiences I can or can’t experience, the time I have available; all things I can control but have given up control over.

So I’m done. I control me now.

I’m here to learn as I go. I’m here to do the work. I’m here to help when and if I can.

Should you have any questions ask away, otherwise I’ll see you on the other side.

@MJ DeMarco Your email intro said to tag you in this.

Lustgarten

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Good luck! That's a lot to take on at the same time... May you have a winning streak.

NickB

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jan 19, 2018
Colorado
Congratulations and good luck! My first objective is the same as yours; control.

Lustgarten

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Jan 23, 2018
Arizona
Congratulations and good luck! My first objective is the same as yours; control.

@NickB 100%. There are things that are tied for first of course such as children, wife, experiences etc but the number one thing that drives me forward and makes my skin crawl if I don’t have it is Control. Took me a while to put my finger on it.

Best

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Good for you deciding to take the leap. It’s the first of many steps. My sincere hope for you and anyone in your position is that you built a lifestyle that you can ride out the ups and downs of entrepreneurship without the personal worries for the rest of your life.

I decided long ago that I would strive for this kind of lifestyle, where business things could totally suck for years straight and I would personally be just fine. It turned out to be a pretty good decision. Some call that “F*ck you”.

I like the peace of mind so much, I no longer try to buy a better and better lifestyle, but simply move the “F*ck you” level up instead. I have decided to NEVER give my “F*ck you” status away even if it’s tempting sometimes to go out be like the sheep.

I’d say “Best of luck!” but I don’t believe in luck. Enjoy the forum!

Last edited:

Lustgarten

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Jan 23, 2018
Arizona
Good for you deciding to take the leap. It’s the first of many steps. My sincere hope for you and anyone in your position is that you built a lifestyle that you can ride out the ups and downs of entrepreneurship without the personal worries for the rest of your life.

I decided long ago that I would strive for this kind of lifestyle, where business things could totally suck for years straight and I would personally be just fine. Some call that “f*ck you”.

I like the peace of mind so much, I no longer try to just afford things, but simply move the “f*ck you” level up instead. I have decided to NEVER give my “f*ck you” status away even if it’s tempting sometimes to go out be like the sheep.

@Kak Appreciate that. I secured a contract that pays me a set amount or overrride on production, whichever is higher, so worse case scenario is I’m fine, best case I make out substantially. I have an aggressive savings plan. I don’t so much want things. I want security for my family and to provide them experiences. Two year goal is to have the house paid in full. I can pull it off.

F*ck you status pretty much somes it up.

I’m not interested in the old way of doing things anymore. If my kids want to see a movie and the light bill is due, I should be able to do both without it stressing me out. My wife’s life long dream of a Disney Cruise shouldn’t have to be labeled a “dream”. And I shouldn’t have to hope that my child’s first steps or words fall on a weekend. No thanks.

Best

Sharko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
424%
Apr 17, 2015
Don’t give up. It can and will work if you do.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
For some reason when you mentioned paying the light bill or going to a movie with your kid it reminded me of one time the only thing I had to eat/drink was a bottle of Welch's Grape Juice and some BBQ chips. I was so hungry I scarfed it all down and liked it. I wouldn't eat those together these days if you paid me. Yuck!! While it seems like yesterday, it seems so long ago at the same time. Hang in there, it can be done. There may be a few ups and downs along the way but that just means your human.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I secured a contract that pays me a set amount or overrride on production, whichever is higher, so worse case scenario is I’m fine, best case I make out substantially.

So what's the plan, consulting?

Congrats on the big moves! Autonomy has been proven to account for 50% of your happiness, so control (whether it's an illusion or not) is a good reason to get going.

Lustgarten

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Jan 23, 2018
Arizona
So what's the plan, consulting?

Congrats on the big moves! Autonomy has been proven to account for 50% of your happiness, so control (whether it's an illusion or not) is a good reason to get going.

@MJ DeMarco Yes, consulting of sorts. I’ve been asked to establish a large direct sales infrastructure. Think call centers, door to door, etc.

In addition, I have a product I spent some time developing and testing. It’s in a few households and decent feedback on it so when things stabilize a bit I’ll put more time and effort into expanding that and have another source of income.

I’m notoriously flighty so I’m working on my focusing skills so the product I made is on the backburner so I don’t screw everything up.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...