The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Chronic laziness. How to overcome?

Cato

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
367%
Sep 29, 2016
Europe
I believe that one get off from laziness mode by building yourself out from it.
By setting small goals and actually achieving them. One goal at the time. That gives momentum and flow.

Things that worked for me to get out of passive mode or laziness.
  • Eating well. (Gives good well being and higher energy levels at all day, without crashes)
  • Training more endurance over weight lifting. (I like boxing exercises: Jumping rope, big bag- and speed bag boxing.)
  • Sleeping less than 8 hours. 6-7 is ideal for me to feel sharp and motivated.
  • Taking one goal (project) at time. No multitasking.
  • Doing every day 4 tasks to get me closer to my goal. 1 big and 3 small tasks.
  • Working every day.
If all this is not enough to get you moving, then maybe listening this guy helps.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I realized that I need help. Well, the first step is admitting you have a problem.

See, throughout school days I never studied and just went with the flow and somehow made it through with Bs and As. At my slowlane job, I never lifted much a finger. Well, the first one involved pushing buggies into the store, but there I made it look more like I was working than actually doing work although the management loved me and i didn't complain. The second job didn't teach me much more. I worked security night shifts where I also befriended the management and literally did not do jack shit in 12 hour shifts except for my own stuff.

What I realized is that I always had it easy. I always looked for a path of least resistence. And now, that I am out of university, quit my job and in another country, I have it easy again because I know I have enough to live for the next month and then I have a gig secured that doesn't require much effort for a month that will make me enough to last for the next 4 months.

I hate it. I honestly hate it.

I hate the feeling that everything is coming so easy. I am not satisfied with it. I want something to be hard, but when it is, I flop. That is why I failed at making mobile games because I wanted it easy and was not going to put in the effort to learn 3d, plus that would ensure I slave off.

Does anyone have any tips on building a habit of working my a$$ off? I want it hard? I want to be punished to build endurance.

Because what I am doing right now, making a website and finding products is easy, it does not require much actually effort aside from getting it done, but I always get side tracked because it seems to me easy while in reality that is what is hard.

I am sorry for rambling on, I just felt the need to share. I would appreciate any wonderful insights on how to build a habit for working hard and overcoming laziness. Any suggestions for exercises or anything of any help.

Thank you for reading through what I had to say. I really do appreciate the time people spend on this forum to help others.
You are way too comfortable. You've never been hungry. You've never felt the sting of failing. What comes to mind is "Pride cometh before a fall." Are you willing to fall that far?

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
I'm in the exact same situation. One of the best ways I discovered was to find a hands on mentor or a business partner. Personally I prefer working for myself so I just found a very active mentor (I see him in person most days not someone from the forum) and I don't want to let him down so that keeps me grinding daily. I also set myself the target of having a profitable business (Doesn't matter how profitable) by August the 17th when my finals results come out and I have to chose whether I go to college or not!

The Autobahn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Mar 2, 2013
Switzerland
Get a job that you will feel as a slave.:D
Do exercises but dont do too much that you will wreck yourself the next day.. (i do that often which i need higher regeneration; sleep :headbanger:)
Live by the philosophy everyday without improvement is a lost day...:dead:

G

Guest34764

I've been recently riding the bikes I'm buying to flip on Craigslist.

I'm having too much fun on them and It's getting me out of the house and instead of sleeping I'm cycling.

It's great exercise too if you stick with it and build up your endurance!

I'd recommend getting a bike that's expensive enough that it makes you actually use it, and not some cheap Walmart bike you can just forget about.

QyTmtIY.jpg

(yes it's totally a women's bike but I don't care.)

Severe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 2, 2021
Marrakesh, Morocco
This quote I've heard stuck with me:
"We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret." Jim Rohn
I'm in the same boat as you, but, I'm changing.

Edit: a bit late to reply to the thread, but.. I managed to find it, and so will other members..

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
This quote I've heard stuck with me:
"We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret." Jim Rohn
I'm in the same boat as you, but, I'm changing.

Edit: a bit late to reply to the thread, but.. I managed to find it, and so will other members..
Could you explain the pain of discipline?

D

Deleted68316

My diet???? Probably among the worst of the worst.

Sleep? 5-6 hours a night.

:) :)

Seriously, this question gets asked a lot here on the forums. Sometimes I work hours that others would never consider. I work from 4:30 am until 6-7 pm seven days a week right now. I have to sneak away to get in my 8-12 mile runs.

Then I may go for years without doing anything work related.

I have a lot of trouble analyzing why people can't work when they need to. All I can figure is that I really like to accomplish. It means a lot to me.
That's amazing, man.

An idea is to do something difficult physically.

So much respect.

Christopher104

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 27, 2020
Because what I am doing right now, making a website and finding products is easy
Well for dropshiping on spotify maybe but learning the languages and libraries required is hella challenging.

I realized that I need help. Well, the first step is admitting you have a problem.

See, throughout school days I never studied and just went with the flow and somehow made it through with Bs and As. At my slowlane job, I never lifted much a finger. Well, the first one involved pushing buggies into the store, but there I made it look more like I was working than actually doing work although the management loved me and i didn't complain. The second job didn't teach me much more. I worked security night shifts where I also befriended the management and literally did not do jack shit in 12 hour shifts except for my own stuff.

What I realized is that I always had it easy. I always looked for a path of least resistence. And now, that I am out of university, quit my job and in another country, I have it easy again because I know I have enough to live for the next month and then I have a gig secured that doesn't require much effort for a month that will make me enough to last for the next 4 months.

I hate the feeling that everything is coming so easy. I am not satisfied with it. I want something to be hard, but when it is, I flop. That is why I failed at making mobile games because I wanted it easy and was not going to put in the effort to learn 3d, plus that would ensure I slave off.

Does anyone have any tips on building a habit of working my a$$ off? I want it hard? I want to be punished to build endurance.

Because what I am doing right now, making a website and finding products is easy, it does not require much actually effort aside from getting it done, but I always get side tracked because it seems to me easy while in reality that is what is hard.

I am sorry for rambling on, I just felt the need to share. I would appreciate any wonderful insights on how to build a habit for working hard and overcoming laziness. Any suggestions for exercises or anything of any help.

Thank you for reading through what I had to say. I really do appreciate the time people spend on this forum to help others.
Well when it comes to discipline your mind is the enemy and it wants you to suffer 24/7. Society will take advantage of this weakness and

Let me tell you something that might set you free. You say you want to do something hard right?

The difference between something hard and something easy is the amount of time and mistakes it will take to get a task done. Not to mention the amount of boredom you will endure while doing the task for long periods of time.

Working to become rich isn't fun. Its quite tedious actually. Especially when the honeymoon phase of the new idea wears off. The reality is life isn't meant to be fun most of the time when you're working towards a worthy goal.

Your brain's ability to tolerate dull lifeless moments day in and day out is the key factor in succeeding in the long run. Because discipline is boring.

Think of grinding like going to your day job. It's just something you do because you dont really have an option. You like it sometimes but there will be days when you dont want to step up and do it. But what you want is irrelevant.

This sounds depressing but its helped me get through all of the moments where I wanted to quit. Remember, there is no such thing as burnout. Being mentally tired is a feeling. emotions and money dont mix well.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland

Buy this The Time of Your Life ®

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
People see laziness as a bad thing. I just see it as a consequence of having no purpose/goals combined with comfort.

The biggest trap there is.

When you have a WHY (especially combined with a F*ck This Event) it is pretty much impossible to be lazy.

I am very lazy with things that I don't care about. I am very obsessed with things that help me achieve my vision.
Absolutely love this <3

maximusharrison

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 1, 2021
This is an amazing and extremely relevant thread. I think this pandemic has hit every single one of us really hard. It's hard when work is constantly invading our supposed haven or sanctuary at home nowadays. I tend to be the type of person that is highly dependent on my environment to function (i.e. i study at school, work out at the gym, work at the office, etc).

But a few things that helped me break out of the laziness spiral:

*Getting ahead of myself
-> I know, for a fact, that when I wake up, the first thing I do is check my phone. That, in itself, can be a platform for me to be lazy. I'll start by checking my emails, then mindless switch to Facebook/Other social media, and end up wasting a good hour or two. I get ahead of myself by purposefully not charging my phone so that it's drained come morning. While I do my morning rituals, the phones are plugged in–and I'm not.

*Rehydrating a lot
->
I sweat a lot when I drink a ton of water. This forces me to take 2-3 showers a day, which is a very calming and thought-provoking moment of peace in my dailies (if you're not subscribed to the r/showerthoughts subreddit you're missing out) and I know this is common–but more than half of the time, my problems get resolved while thinking in the shower.

Exercise
-> Most of us dread it, but the reality is, once you've forced yourself into the habit of moving about, it's hard to stay still. Plus, it improves you holistically (mind, body, and everything in-between).

Again, this thread is a goldmine. Actually boosted me to be more productive for today. Stay safe everyone.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.