The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Chinese manufacturer's and expensive, "express" shipping costs for samples

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
What is with all these manufacturers from China always wanting to send me product samples only with "express" (like 1-2 day or overnight!) delivery at ridiculous prices using Fedex or UPS - when they can just send me it with regular mail for a fraction of the cost?

Is this a way for them to try and make some monies off of sample orders?
(We're talking light-weight, material samples, etc. Nothing fancy)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MNentre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Dec 11, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm wondering the same thing. I ordered a few samples last week ~6lbs and it cost $56 standard shipping through DHL. They justified the more expensive shipping because it would go through customs easier and they said they've had problems shipping with the standard Hong Kong Postal Service. Whether or not that is true, I have no idea..

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Yeah I have been given similar excuses as well, but what's interesting is that my wife and I have been buying tons of personal stuff off of eBay for over a decade (many of which come directly from China via regular mail) and it has always arrived without a problem.

Most actually ship for free, and it arrives in less than a week. So how come it is so complicated and expensive for manufacturers... Makes you wonder.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I think their thought process is that the faster they get you the sample order, the faster you will turn around and place a regular order. They don't CARE about costs because :
1. large (U.S.) companies overlook that and
2. since you pay the freight, they don't care. If THEY paid it, they would care.

Even when you provide your account #, you should specify speed. I recently had some knucklehead pay for some friggin' AIRPLANE RIDE for a sample using my UPS account #. I can just picture this little sample being strapped into a seat and offered a cocktail from the stewardess in first class. Live and learn. Leave NOTHING to chance. Detail everything. Assume common sense doesn't prevail with suppliers you don't know.

You should be able to dictate though the carrier they use for the sample shipments to directly impact the cost.

EMS is the best option because its the cheapest of the express options and comes with a tracking. If you want absolute cheapest you should pick hong kong post or china post, but it can take weeks instead of days.

Check this out :

http://help.aliexpress.com/delivery_options.html

PITCHwiz

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 2, 2012
Florida
I am so glad you posted this msg. Same darn thing happened to me. In my opinion, ChinaPost is the cheapest way to ship samples but the CN mfg wanted to ship via FedEx at an outrageous rate. They're trying to gouge us. I express to them that I am on a budget and they usually understand that.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
When you guys contact a manufacture for the first time...how long does it normally take for them to get back to you?

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
I've had some get back to me within hours, but many never get back at all. I get about 20% response rate. I'm sure I can improve that by placing a phone call during their business hours.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I think their thought process is that the faster they get you the sample order, the faster you will turn around and place a regular order. They don't CARE about costs because :
1. large (U.S.) companies overlook that and
2. since you pay the freight, they don't care. If THEY paid it, they would care.

I believe that this is exactly their thinking.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Also, from their standpoint. If you cringe at spending a little on express mail for a sample, how can they expect you to follow through a place an order for a few thousand dollars? It's also a way of qualifying you.

My suppliers now ship me samples for free, both for product and shipping. I just ask for a sample and it arrives in 2 days. They know that if I get something I like, I will place that large order.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
You have to think like youre the supplier.
I few months ago I was cruising the Ali msg boards.
There was a thread where Manufactures were complaining about people contacting them with unreasonable expectations.
Evidently a lot of people contact them demanding free samples, email them once and never contact again, etc...
So some of them are probably swamped with bogus request.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Actually, you make an interesting observation. When you put on your "How can I provide value" hat, it doesn't necessarily have to be value to a consumer. Here's where you can provide value to suppliers. Maintain good communication, don't make unreasonable demands, don't be bogus, and in return you can expect better treatment from prospective suppliers. You make some money on the front end by not wasting time on long drawn out negotiations and perhaps getting favorable terms from suppliers that appreciate working with you.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Vigilante, Likwid24, and biophase; Thanks for clarifying this. What you're saying makes total sense and I'm sure it is their way of gauging how serious you are.

PITCHwiz

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 2, 2012
Florida
I think some CN mfgs respond to big time spenders like Conair or Rebok etc. When they take on spec OEM and design projects, they risk their time and energy on small orders that often don't pay off or just disappear.

onlyup

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 8, 2011
You have to think like youre the supplier.
I few months ago I was cruising the Ali msg boards.
There was a thread where Manufactures were complaining about people contacting them with unreasonable expectations.
Evidently a lot of people contact them demanding free samples, email them once and never contact again, etc...
So some of them are probably swamped with bogus request.

Good point. The Internet Marketing /Be your own boss craze has caught on so well in the past few years, that a lot more people are getting in to it. I bet they get TONS of tire kickers. And as a result, I bet manufacturers have adjusting their prices accordingly.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.