The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Changing Careers Oil & Gas to Dating Coach (Need Advice)

Wuhantang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 29, 2018
Hey guys,

My name is Tony and I am currently in transition of becoming a dating coach, but it hasn't been easy attracting clients even though I am currently offering my services for free in an attempt to build a name for myself and establish credibility. I currently only have one client, who I am helping for free.

As someone who went to University for 8 years to obtain a "lucrative" business degree from one of the best business schools in Canada I hate to admit but I feel that was a waste of time. Being 27 now I graduated at the age of 26 with $63,000 in student loan debt, however since then I've managed to pay off almost $40,000 of my student loans which ate into most of my savings.

But the thing is I have specialized in oil & gas, and the market in Canada has pretty much dried up. As a contractor (paid only when you work) there is a huge shortage of work and as a Landman (my day job) I'm now making maybe only $1000/month which is less than minimum wage.

I thought to myself about a month ago, why not follow your passion and try to do what you always wanted to do. There has always been an itch for me to get away from corporate work to become a life coach, and the hunch started over 2 years ago.

So about a month ago I finally decided to take action and act on this, I decided to pursue dating coach. I've created a website and started to make ads in local listings Kijiji (similar to craigslist) to recruit clientele. However it hasn't been easy, as I've only have 1 client so far.

I really enjoy this line of work because its something I'm naturally good at, and I enjoy helping others. This is because I've been in my clients situations before. I know what its like to be fat, to have low self esteem, and to have no social skills with women. It's a terrible life to live and I just want to help others in that situation because we truly can all make it.

With that being said, I'm having a hard time attracting clients and promoting my services. I still have lots of work to do such as writing some courses and developing my website further, and of course doing some learning myself.

I'm just wondering if you guys have any guidance on what to do here? Perhaps if you been in a similar situation, what are the steps to success?

Lastly, if you want to check out my website its www.30daygirlfriend.com

Thank you for reading.

Cheers,

Tony

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser0287

Do you know where your target demographic resides? After reading your post, it seems like that is what you are missing.

SubReddits have good targeting. Plus, it can be free. Although, your website name 30daygirlfriend sounds spammy as hell.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
If your Kijiji posts go to your website that may be killing your conversions. Fake testimonials, social links broken, book links broken, the color scheme is unappealing overall. I know you said it's a work in progress, but I would exclude anything that's not functional, even if the website is a home page and a contact page.

What do your ads look like?
How's your current client doing? Any chance for a referral?
Could you take on a few people for 2 weeks for free for a real testimonial?
What is your ongoing marketing/advertising strategy? If you're keen on creating content, I could hook you up with an excel doc that could last you years with topics to write about, make videos on, or record a podcast with.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
2 facts......

He didn't read TFLM

He will get roasted here for this thread lol

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
Following your passion is a terrible advice for most people. But if you are really serious about being a dating coach, I would say corey wayne from understandingrelationship.com does a great job. He has a great system with his youtube videos and books.

However the transition period is going to suck for sure. Think corey was millionaire from real estate / construction stuff, when he switched, it took years going back to broke, being a waiter before getting traction with a new thing.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I got buddies in Edmonton still making great coin in the oil patch. Look into NDT (inspecting welds). If you want I can connect you with someone.

John D.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Aug 26, 2016
I have a question for you:

What's making you different from the thousands of dating coaches out there using the same worn-out promises everyone's heard before? ('Get a girlfriend in X days', 'Get laid every weekend', 'Become an alpha male', etc.)

The dating market is a big market, and you're tackling it like you got there first. (News flash, you didn't.)

I suggest you niche down and find something to set you apart from the pack.

As an example, 'Dating for programmers/IT people' is one I've seen successfully implemented. These people tend to be more logical and more, let's say, socially uncalibrated than people in other fields.

So who do you think they will trust with their money:
a) Someone who is directly addressing their pains and challenges and offering specific advice on how to improve their situation.
b) Some run-of-the-mill dating coach who guarantees they can get anyone on this planet a girlfriend.

The choice is obvious. See what I mean?

Look at Jason Capital (that's his YouTube handle) for example. He's a former dating coach (and a marketing whiz, IMO) who started off as you did -- coaching a few people for free -- and marketed his business to a six-figure one.

There's a full interview with his story on YouTube somewhere.

Now here's some practical advice you can take action on RIGHT NOW:

Go to ClickBank and go over the affiliate marketplace section. Then navigate to the Dating section and sort by popular.

Now click on the links on the first few pages and visit the websites.

People are shelling out money for these products. Study the offers closely, and you'll see what promises and appeals work well in your market.

Chances are your niche is hidden in there somewhere. Your job is to find it and make it your own.

NOTE: Don't straight-up rip off people. Rather, use these top-selling products as an inspiration to discover your place in the dating coaching jungle.

babyballer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jul 16, 2018
I have a question for you:

What's making you different from the thousands of dating coaches out there using the same worn-out promises everyone's heard before? ('Get a girlfriend in X days', 'Get laid every weekend', 'Become an alpha male', etc.)

The dating market is a big market, and you're tackling it like you got there first. (News flash, you didn't.)

I suggest you niche down and find something to set you apart from the pack.

As an example, 'Dating for programmers/IT people' is one I've seen successfully implemented. These people tend to be more logical and more, let's say, socially uncalibrated than people in other fields.

So who do you think they will trust with their money:
a) Someone who is directly addressing their pains and challenges and offering specific advice on how to improve their situation.
b) Some run-of-the-mill dating coach who guarantees they can get anyone on this planet a girlfriend.

The choice is obvious. See what I mean?

Look at Jason Capital (that's his YouTube handle) for example. He's a former dating coach (and a marketing whiz, IMO) who started off as you did -- coaching a few people for free -- and marketed his business to a six-figure one.

There's a full interview with his story on YouTube somewhere.

Now here's some practical advice you can take action on RIGHT NOW:

Go to ClickBank and go over the affiliate marketplace section. Then navigate to the Dating section and sort by popular.

Now click on the links on the first few pages and visit the websites.

People are shelling out money for these products. Study the offers closely, and you'll see what promises and appeals work well in your market.

Chances are your niche is hidden in there somewhere. Your job is to find it and make it your own.

NOTE: Don't straight-up rip off people. Rather, use these top-selling products as an inspiration to discover your place in the dating coaching jungle.

Jason Capital was a dating guru for the nerds?

John D.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Aug 26, 2016
Jason Capital was a dating guru for the nerds?
No I actually took him as a separate example — one with humble beginnings that resemble OP’s. As I recall from his interview he marketed himself as ‘America’s Honest Dating Coach’.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Tony,

You gotta work on Advertising both in paid and organic ways

Paid Ads: Google & FB Ads -> Invest Money for Ad and Collect Leads = Email List Building with Website
Organic Posts: Give Give Give and Collect Leads = Email List Building with Website

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.