The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Change your perception to achieve anything.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Baker

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2015
What drives human behavior? Why do we do what we do? We all live in the same timeline, the same 24 hours. Reality is reality, its just our perception of it that creates our lives.

Its all in your head, quite literally. We have our preferences, likes, favorite activities etc but from a biological standpoint we are here to reproduce and contribute to the insane complexity of nature and the universe. You are not you. You are your awareness of you. Take a moment of silence to OBSERVE yourself right now. What thoughts are crossing your mind. Are you creating the thoughts or do they just pop into your head? You can consciously create a thought, but they can also just "appear" out of nowhere. Your brain is a tool. An extremely complex and useful tool, its capabilities are endless but when the tool is broken or not working efficiently its capabilities are limited.

When you are feeling "down", depressed, sad, unmotivated you are in a limited state. Bad thoughts will come to you. "I cant do this, this is impossible, im a piece of shit etc. If you remember a time you have thought things like this did you do it consciously or did it just come to you? Think really hard here. You may think you thought of it yourself because thats what your mind wants you to think. Anytime your mind plants these negative thoughts into your conscious awareness it is doing so because it feels threatened, your mind is wired for survival but it doesn't completely know what is what. Is has no bias, no right or wrong, no real or not real it is just a blank state with instilled programming and bases its assumptions on that programming. So when you consciously conceive something that YOU (your awareness) might want to do in this world, for example a risky move such as starting a business (vague example here) your mind will first try make sense of what your decision may entail, and if it involves breaking everyday habits it will see this move as a threat to your survival and try convince YOU (your awareness) to not do that by implanting negative thoughts so that you make the decision to not change your behaviors that would veer you on that course in the grand scheme of your life. Now this doesn't mean making that move is the WRONG decision, but remember your mind is a blank state, it doesn't have any bias so whilst you (your awareness) can see the benefits down the road for taking that risk and know that it is a good thing for YOU (remember your mind is not you) your subconscious just sees the immediate threat NOW (subconscious is ALWAYS in the present) and veers you off that track by stopping you from taking actions down that path by implanting the limiting thoughts into your awareness. And the worst past about all this is that your mind is set up in such a way that YOU believe you are thinking these thoughts. Because you believe you are thinking these thoughts yourself, you TRUST them. YOU BELIEVE you cant do something. But you can. Anyone in this world can achieve anything they desire, but it all starts with separating your awareness from the tool that is your mind and instead of believing everything you conceive in your head, USE your mind as a tool to FIGURE out how to do the things YOU want to do.

So back to the start, why do we do what we do? We are wired to survive and reproduce at the most basic level of our organism. How do we do that? We make sure we dont die and then make babies, then they do the same, and it keeps going down the evolutionary train into who knows whats going to happen. Modern civilisation has only lasted a tiny fraction of time in comparison to our caveman days. Back then in order to not die we had to eat, but food doesn't just show up out of nowhere. We have to go and seek it. We have to hunt. This is where your minds (your mind is a tool) reward system comes into play. You brain knows it needs the nourishment from the food but it cant get it itself, its just a piece of fatty organ, a very complex organ but still just an organ. It needs a vessel to go get the food (your body) and an AWARENESS to drive the vessel. (YOU). But you arent just going to go get the food for no reason. You need something to motivate you. Otherwise whats the point of life? If you cant feel anything theres no point. So our brains give our awareness pleasure. This is the most basic level of everything. Satisfaction, pleasure, whatever you want to call it we all live life to feel, and we want to feel good. That is you. Your awareness of what you are feeling. So to make the vessel go and retrieve the nutrients from the food so that the organism (human being) can reproduce at some point in its life (you need a healthy organism to make a healthy offspring), it figures out what "things" in its scope of reality it is situated in will provide the right nourishment, and wires its reward system to make it easy for you to go and seek the food. It does this with mainly with the brain chemical dopamine.

So when the brain knows it needs food, through extremely complex mechanisms it will try to bring to your awareness a picture of food, based on all the images and experienced you have buried deep in your subconscious, and a little burst of dopamine to give you the motivation to start consciously figuring out how to obtain it. This is where you come into play and use your mind (the tool) to figure out a solution to the problem (hunger). The output of dopamine is increased as you get closer to your goal, so that you can obtain it. It is released in anticipation of a reward. When you then obtain the food your brain will release a larger burst of dopamine as a reward for giving your body the nourishment to continue on its survival and (hopefully) reproduce for the better good of your species. Dopamine is also used for learning and remembering. So when you get the burst of dopamine for obtaining the food you will learn what you just did and encode the memory MUCH better because its a beneficial behavior for you.

This is the fundamentals of your everyday behavior which is why its so useful to know because when you master your mind the possibilities are endless. You want to be rich and retire? Harness the powerful tool that is your mind and use the understanding of how it REALLY works to create the life you have always wanted. You and your mind are separate. Your mind doesn't care how much money you want in the future because it is wired to ALWAYS be in the present. It is wired to survive NOW.

How do we apply this knowledge to achieve your conscious goals? You harness your brains motivational system. You train yourself to produce dopamine in accordance to the activities that will get you closer to your goal. You have the consciously project the activities that may get you to a goal, then train your brain to want the reward of completing these activities. This way your brain will release the motivation chemical as you are anticipating the completion, which will give you drive to do it. Its how you get shit done, fast. But because your subconscious mind works in the present you cant be daydreaming. Set aside time to daydream, plan, conceive what you have to do, then knuckle down and set yourself micro goals to complete so you are constantly motivated.

Modern society has f*cked up your brains natural systems with lack of exercise, poor diet but most importantly, the wrong behaviors. Our attention is flying everywhere every minute and it puts your mind in chaos. Your mind cant focus. We are not meant to multitask we are wired to be focusing on one thing at a time. This is where meditation becomes the most powerful exercise to change your life to what you want it to be, but that's a topic for another time.

In order to achieve things you must DEEPEN your understanding of how the vessel that will undertake the activities that will lead to the achievement works. The deeper the understanding, the faster and more efficient you will be in gaining your own satisfaction from life.
What you can consciously conceive, and believe, you can achieve.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
What drives human behavior? Why do we do what we do? We all live in the same timeline, the same 24 hours. Reality is reality, its just our perception of it that creates our lives.

Its all in your head, quite literally. We have our preferences, likes, favorite activities etc but from a biological standpoint we are here to reproduce and contribute to the insane complexity of nature and the universe. You are not you. You are your awareness of you. Take a moment of silence to OBSERVE yourself right now. What thoughts are crossing your mind. Are you creating the thoughts or do they just pop into your head? You can consciously create a thought, but they can also just "appear" out of nowhere. Your brain is a tool. An extremely complex and useful tool, its capabilities are endless but when the tool is broken or not working efficiently its capabilities are limited.

When you are feeling "down", depressed, sad, unmotivated you are in a limited state. Bad thoughts will come to you. "I cant do this, this is impossible, im a piece of shit etc. If you remember a time you have thought things like this did you do it consciously or did it just come to you? Think really hard here. You may think you thought of it yourself because thats what your mind wants you to think. Anytime your mind plants these negative thoughts into your conscious awareness it is doing so because it feels threatened, your mind is wired for survival but it doesn't completely know what is what. Is has no bias, no right or wrong, no real or not real it is just a blank state with instilled programming and bases its assumptions on that programming. So when you consciously conceive something that YOU (your awareness) might want to do in this world, for example a risky move such as starting a business (vague example here) your mind will first try make sense of what your decision may entail, and if it involves breaking everyday habits it will see this move as a threat to your survival and try convince YOU (your awareness) to not do that by implanting negative thoughts so that you make the decision to not change your behaviors that would veer you on that course in the grand scheme of your life. Now this doesn't mean making that move is the WRONG decision, but remember your mind is a blank state, it doesn't have any bias so whilst you (your awareness) can see the benefits down the road for taking that risk and know that it is a good thing for YOU (remember your mind is not you) your subconscious just sees the immediate threat NOW (subconscious is ALWAYS in the present) and veers you off that track by stopping you from taking actions down that path by implanting the limiting thoughts into your awareness. And the worst past about all this is that your mind is set up in such a way that YOU believe you are thinking these thoughts. Because you believe you are thinking these thoughts yourself, you TRUST them. YOU BELIEVE you cant do something. But you can. Anyone in this world can achieve anything they desire, but it all starts with separating your awareness from the tool that is your mind and instead of believing everything you conceive in your head, USE your mind as a tool to FIGURE out how to do the things YOU want to do.

So back to the start, why do we do what we do? We are wired to survive and reproduce at the most basic level of our organism. How do we do that? We make sure we dont die and then make babies, then they do the same, and it keeps going down the evolutionary train into who knows whats going to happen. Modern civilisation has only lasted a tiny fraction of time in comparison to our caveman days. Back then in order to not die we had to eat, but food doesn't just show up out of nowhere. We have to go and seek it. We have to hunt. This is where your minds (your mind is a tool) reward system comes into play. You brain knows it needs the nourishment from the food but it cant get it itself, its just a piece of fatty organ, a very complex organ but still just an organ. It needs a vessel to go get the food (your body) and an AWARENESS to drive the vessel. (YOU). But you arent just going to go get the food for no reason. You need something to motivate you. Otherwise whats the point of life? If you cant feel anything theres no point. So our brains give our awareness pleasure. This is the most basic level of everything. Satisfaction, pleasure, whatever you want to call it we all live life to feel, and we want to feel good. That is you. Your awareness of what you are feeling. So to make the vessel go and retrieve the nutrients from the food so that the organism (human being) can reproduce at some point in its life (you need a healthy organism to make a healthy offspring), it figures out what "things" in its scope of reality it is situated in will provide the right nourishment, and wires its reward system to make it easy for you to go and seek the food. It does this with mainly with the brain chemical dopamine.

So when the brain knows it needs food, through extremely complex mechanisms it will try to bring to your awareness a picture of food, based on all the images and experienced you have buried deep in your subconscious, and a little burst of dopamine to give you the motivation to start consciously figuring out how to obtain it. This is where you come into play and use your mind (the tool) to figure out a solution to the problem (hunger). The output of dopamine is increased as you get closer to your goal, so that you can obtain it. It is released in anticipation of a reward. When you then obtain the food your brain will release a larger burst of dopamine as a reward for giving your body the nourishment to continue on its survival and (hopefully) reproduce for the better good of your species. Dopamine is also used for learning and remembering. So when you get the burst of dopamine for obtaining the food you will learn what you just did and encode the memory MUCH better because its a beneficial behavior for you.

This is the fundamentals of your everyday behavior which is why its so useful to know because when you master your mind the possibilities are endless. You want to be rich and retire? Harness the powerful tool that is your mind and use the understanding of how it REALLY works to create the life you have always wanted. You and your mind are separate. Your mind doesn't care how much money you want in the future because it is wired to ALWAYS be in the present. It is wired to survive NOW.

How do we apply this knowledge to achieve your conscious goals? You harness your brains motivational system. You train yourself to produce dopamine in accordance to the activities that will get you closer to your goal. You have the consciously project the activities that may get you to a goal, then train your brain to want the reward of completing these activities. This way your brain will release the motivation chemical as you are anticipating the completion, which will give you drive to do it. Its how you get shit done, fast. But because your subconscious mind works in the present you cant be daydreaming. Set aside time to daydream, plan, conceive what you have to do, then knuckle down and set yourself micro goals to complete so you are constantly motivated.

Modern society has f*cked up your brains natural systems with lack of exercise, poor diet but most importantly, the wrong behaviors. Our attention is flying everywhere every minute and it puts your mind in chaos. Your mind cant focus. We are not meant to multitask we are wired to be focusing on one thing at a time. This is where meditation becomes the most powerful exercise to change your life to what you want it to be, but that's a topic for another time.

In order to achieve things you must DEEPEN your understanding of how the vessel that will undertake the activities that will lead to the achievement works. The deeper the understanding, the faster and more efficient you will be in gaining your own satisfaction from life.
What you can consciously conceive, and believe, you can achieve.

I didn't read the whole post because it was kind of long and I just hiked 14 miles through a national park....but we are definitely on the same wavelength.

You should look deeper into NLP and EFT - to create identity level shifts.

The person you identify yourself as, is the person you act congruently with - and when you shift an identity, it automatically releases a lot of the bad habits all at once.

I'll read the rest in the morning!

Baker

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2015
I didn't read the whole post because it was kind of long and I just hiked 14 miles through a national park....but we are definitely on the same wavelength.

The person you identify yourself as, is the person you act congruently with - and when you shift an identity, it automatically releases a lot of the bad habits all at once.

Yes I've been meaning to look into NLP, the identity shift sounds very interesting thanks. The way our minds work interests me a lot.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Yes I've been meaning to look into NLP, the identity shift sounds very interesting thanks. The way our minds work interests me a lot.

It definitely does.

I started that journey in July 2014 - I got really deep into the inner mind....but for six months, I neglected the practical business skills to grow my business, so the stuff we are learning is addicting...but remember to balance. I say this because I see the problem a lot with others who get big into this stuff.

Baker

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2015
It definitely does.

I started that journey in July 2014 - I got really deep into the inner mind....but for six months, I neglected the practical business skills to grow my business, so the stuff we are learning is addicting...but remember to balance. I say this because I see the problem a lot with others who get big into this stuff.
Yes definitely, good point. I'm in a very early stage of my own personal development but can see the insane growth I've already achieved since starting my business journey a few months ago. Focusing on myself for now as I'm still young and need to work on myself before I venture deep into business building but am enjoying the journey and the person I'm becoming.

jb5150

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 18, 2016

NLP is a sham and has been debunked numerous times as nothing more than pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo over the past decade.

Not sure about EFT but the REAL EFT (Emotionally Focused Therapy) works and its positive effects substantiated by numerous peer reviewed studies.

OP, i can sum what you said up with what Marshall Rosenberg talks about: whenever you feel guilt, shame, anger, or blame those feelings are cues that you are blocked off from your own needs. When you act on any one of those, it is a 'tragic expression of an unmet need'.

Once you've given yourself the empathy you need, you will then be able to see behind those toxic feelings and beneath that, the need.

This is all based on Marshall Rosenberg's Non-violent Communication which is probably the most pragmatic form of communication I've ever come across. it is a language based on connecting to what's alive within ourselves, as well as what's alive in others.

Once you understand the core principles of NVC you no longer hear what people think of you, rather you hear unmet needs and how you can help that person (or yourself) meet those needs as a 'gift'.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
The output of dopamine is increased as you get closer to your goal, so that you can obtain it. It is released in anticipation of a reward.
I think it's interesting like in this article it states Introverts are different. "acetylcholine makes us feel good when we turn inward."
http://www.quietrev.com/why-introverts-and-extroverts-are-different-the-science/
http://barefootmeg.blogspot.nl/2010/01/dopamine-vs-acetylcholine-and-blood.html

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.