The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

CHANGE CENTS TO DENTS

Idea threads

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 1, 2022
@MJ DeMarco the famous blueprint for fastlane business is called CENTS, or if you're older, CENTS.
This is honestly and amazing blueprint that can help anyone blazetrail almost any business, BUT, i have a question:
The first commandment is called the commandment of Need.
However, There ARE some businesses that we dont NEED, but there is a demand for it. I could argue that no one NEEDS a gucci bag, but there is demand for it. No one necessarily NEEDS the latest iphone, but there's a demand for it. So in this light wouldnt it be safe to say that it's not the need that matters, but the demand? And keeping this in view, should we change CENTS to DENTS?
MJ what are your thoughts on this? I could be horribly wrong and i'd love to see why. Also people of the forum, what are your thoughts on this? Do you work in a niche that relies not on need but demand?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
@MJ DeMarco the famous blueprint for fastlane business is called CENTS, or if you're older, CENTS.
This is honestly and amazing blueprint that can help anyone blazetrail almost any business, BUT, i have a question:
However, There ARE some businesses that we dont NEED, but there is a demand for it. I could argue that no one NEEDS a gucci bag, but there is demand for it. No one necessarily NEEDS the latest iphone, but there's a demand for it. So in this light wouldnt it be safe to say that it's not the need that matters, but the demand? And keeping this in view, should we change CENTS to DENTS?
MJ what are your thoughts on this? I could be horribly wrong and i'd love to see why. Also people of the forum, what are your thoughts on this? Do you work in a niche that relies not on need but demand?
Need is a synonym for demand

Plus you changed the C to D and eliminated “control” instead of “need”

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
Need is a synonym for demand

Plus you changed the C to D and eliminated “control” instead of “need”
ya plus, do you really don't think that MJ hasn't thought about the function of demand like a billion times even prior to writing the book.

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 1, 2022
ya plus, do you really don't think that MJ hasn't thought about the function of demand like a billion times even prior to writing the book.
Im not ACTUALLY saying change the damn book it was a joke, but the part about demand not necessarily being need is true

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 1, 2022
Can you explain the joke to me? It’s funnier that way. Thanks.
The very notion of me suggesting that MJ DeMarco, a millionaire author change and entire established concept that has appeared in multiple books and videos for the sake of more technical accuracy is so absurd as to become humurous

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Looks like it auto corrects

Me too

N E C S T

Oh that's hilarious!

Sorry @MJ DeMarco we broke it.

Originally the discussion was about ranking them in importance. It's probably an endless debate but I still bring this framework up as one of the best that's ever been created!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Maslow’s hierarchy’s need.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

You've got to post about loving MJ.

You've got to post that's a supposedly a joke about his philosophy.

Do you have a business? Are you starting something? Are you thinking about starting something?

Now I'm a BIG fan of loving AND joking, but I'm wondering...

Is all this loving and joking leading somewhere? Are you DOING anything with all this information?

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 9, 2021
I still have the first published version that says CENTS (and I still call it that occasionally!) :blush:
Does it not anymore? My hard copies and audiobooks say CENTS and imo that is more affable, "Does your business make CENTS?" double entendre and so forth

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
I think we need to scrap the whole CENTS idea, and use a brand new model for entrepreneurship.

Let's call it PANTS.
  • Passion
  • Anyone can start
  • Nobody buys
  • Trade crypto and
  • Stocks

First one to get to $1M (in debt) using this model should write the next business best seller: "The Millennial Fastfail"

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In light of some of the posts around here from people who supposedly read the books, perhaps DENTS is a good idea.

Drop-shipping
Everyone
NFTs
Trading
SMMA

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
In light of some of the posts around here from people who supposedly read the books, perhaps DENTS is a good idea.

Drop-shipping
Everyone
NFTs
Trading
SMMA

What's your take on selling marketing as a service? I am seeing people selling marketing services to say Roofers, usually running Facebook Ads to a landing page and then the potential client fills out the information that goes into high-level. Ive seen a lot of people have success with this. One guy calls it SNMA instead of SMMA haha.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
What's your take on selling marketing as a service? I am seeing people selling marketing services to say Roofers, usually running Facebook Ads to a landing page and then the potential client fills out the information that goes into high-level. Ive seen a lot of people have success with this. One guy calls it SNMA instead of SMMA haha.
The future is going to be Social Media Marketing Service As A Service For Marketing Social Media Agencies Ad Networks, also known by the short and easy to remember acronym: SNMA-SaaS-B2B-ChatGPT-MLM-AI-DropShipping

Don't miss out on this opportunity!

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 1, 2022
You've got to post about loving MJ.

You've got to post that's a supposedly a joke about his philosophy.

Do you have a business? Are you starting something? Are you thinking about starting something?

Now I'm a BIG fan of loving AND joking, but I'm wondering...

Is all this loving and joking leading somewhere? Are you DOING anything with all this information?
i do indeed have business(s). i am working creating a digital product (i wont give much information about what that is but it's something). i have a course that i sell in my school for students appearing for exams and i've made some money off that. i've got a stand-franchise business which sells like food at events and i'm about to start an actual permanent stand and i've got the plan for that fully ready the only thing that stands in the way is my exams and the initial investment (although the second one isnt much of a problem). i'm only 16 btw so i think i'm doing ok (but i could do better). none of these "hustles" make me BIG money, but I believe i can achieve that too, however, i am restricted since i have to study for the exams.
thanks for asking, this is why i love this forum, cut the bullshit, straight to business.
ly bizydad. peace
ly

Providence

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Oct 21, 2020
Zambia
Hilarious laughs... Well your question is ok but i think you missed a certain point; behind that Gucci bag is the aspect of "utility" its just like any other bag out there it just carries stuff except Gucci added a little more to the bag, glitz and glamour - communicating status and that's what people want to feel right? Same applies to the iPhone at the base of "everything" is the aspect of communication.

So i think it's safe to say if you take any need based business and repackage it in a better way that makes your clientele feel special or an extra "something" you would have an advantage over your competition. The examples are everywhere just take time to look: Lamborghini over Toyota, iPhone over Huawei etc....

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.