The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cash Flow 101 Vs Other Board Games

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Hi everyone, as I mentioned in my intro my wife and I are in the “get educated†mode. To help this along I was talking to Mike about playing Cash Flow 101 during our lunch breaks at work. Before we buy the game, I thought I would see what everyone’s opinion of the game is and see if anyone has any other games they feel would be a more effective use of time.

I did some Google searches and here is a list of games that got high rankings. I pasted in links from boardgamegeek.com (they basically do a low level review of every game on the market)

(If this has already been discussed can someone shoot me the thread.)

Cash Flow 101 Board Game Review:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6552

Cash Flow 202 Board Game Review:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6561

Abundance Board Game Review:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35282

The Millionaire Maker Board Game Review:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37785

Puerto Rico Board Game Review:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3076

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/228
A quick finical game list from boardgamegeek.com:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/36199

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
CF 101 is great. We played it at B&P and BFLBob showed us a lot of variations on the rules. Great learning tool.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Yeah we had a lot of fun with Cashflow 101 at the meetup this year. All I can say is think about taking 97% of the cashflow rules and throwing them out the window. Russ and Bob will blow your mind when you play with them. This past year Bob had a series of speed rounds that he had us play--I think the rounds only lasted something like 5 minutes. The point of the speed games was the importance of teams/delegation, learning (vs. just winning) and thinking fast. The way these guys play make Cashflow worth the trip to the Beer and Pancakes meetup alone.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I read the reviews of the game on the website you mentioned. Don't be dissuaded by people with poor people mentality (like the reviewer) - there is much to learn from this game. Unfortunately most people just won't believe it to be true (like the reviewer) because it's just not their reality or it challenges their beliefs about making money.

What's that saying about teaching a pig to sing? :smug2:

Anyways, I'd recommend the game - at the very least it will teach you how to read a financial statement and learn how to differentiate between a good investment and a bad investment. And the first few times you play it will show you how you go about life and how you tend to make investment decisions. The learning comes in the discussing and reflected on what you've learned with the other players. Then as you progress and begin trying different strategies, your eyes will be opened to the power of using leverage and creatively putting deals together with other players. That's where your education will really take off - and that's where you can justify the price of the game.

Good luck!

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
That explains the B&P. Any thoughts on the other games, particularly Abundance and The Millionaire Maker?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Scout-

Did you get a chance to read all the way through the CASHFLOW thread?

Lots of incredibly good stuff in there. :)

-Russ H.

zrooster

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 21, 2011
For those who want to play cash flow 101 without buying the board game, you can play it for free on rich dad's website.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
True but the online version does not offer the variables and creativity that playing the board game affords.

tyagar

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 24, 2011
It sounds like you are trying to adapt Cashflow 101 to play more like Cashflow 202?

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Nope... we adapt CF101 to play more like life.

During the credit crunch, we played that you were only allowed to borrow an amount equal to net worth.

During high unemployment, we played that you lost your job for a month if you rolled a 6.

But we also play games with multiple players where we develop a business plan prior to ever starting the game. We live by that plan until we hit our initial goal, then we write a new one based on our current "reality".

The computer game only lets you go from A to B.

The board game let's me (if I'm holding a ton of cash) lend money to you at 80% interest instead of the 120% interest the bank is charging. (Do the math: 10% loan interest per month = 120% per year.) I make a great return on my cash. You get to buy the 24-unit.

Bob

im_not_normal

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 13, 2011
Northeast Ohio
We have the Cashflow Game and sometimes we play it Dave Ramsey style. You still can get out of the rat race but it takes you longer. I'll have to try some of your variations. I think the game is only fun when you're trying to get out of the rat race. Once you get on the other track it gets kind of boring. Just my opinion.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
That's as far as we usually play too.

Well... I lied. Sometimes we play "until".

Until we have over $10mil in cash, or

Until we have over $50k in cash flow, or

Until everyone playing has become a millionaire.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Can the game be played by only one player,?

SGSystems

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 8, 2011
I feel stupid, years, years ago I bought 101 and 202 bundled on ebay for real cheap. I played it with my gf and at the time we got on the fastlane real quick and got real bored. Never touched the game because I guess I was just young and uncreative. These variations of playing with economic realities just escaped me, well I was only 18 at the time.

Kinda hard to be financially creative and knowledgable living at home with no rent I guess.

Sold both games for very, very cheap a few years go. Dammit!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.