The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

cant think of any ideas for being an entrepreneur (college student)

Idea threads

LeonC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 18, 2020
I'm 20 years old and in college in Dublin ,Ireland studying engineering but I'm not sure if I want to give up 5 years of my life just to finally get a job. I would like to become an entrepreneur but I have no ideas as of yet what I would like to do. Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

marc.israel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Nov 7, 2020
Mauritius
I'm 20 years old and in college in Dublin ,Ireland studying engineering but I'm not sure if I want to give up 5 years of my life just to finally get a job. I would like to become an entrepreneur but I have no ideas as of yet what I would like to do. Any suggestions would be great thanks.
My 2 CENTS... Look around you for clues in needs (may be your own need as an individual), and pass them through the CENTS filter (Control, Entry, Need, Time and Scale). Then Act, Assess, Adjust. If you're not sure, pay a visit to a start-up incubator in Dublin (Accelerators & incubators | Dublin.ie) and chat with people, discuss with incubated start-ups, it may spark ideas. You can then float your ideas on the forum and get feedback from other entrepreneurs/founders.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Hi mate,
Welcome to the forum. I totally understand your frustration I dropped out of university that summer.
I'd recommend you start a side hustle asap. You could start a blog, an eCommerce store, or create your brand.
While you do that you can either keep studying or try to network as @marc.israel said.
If you need any help or advice just let us know.

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016

Read all the Gold posts in this forum to develop the needed mindset
When you are done head to the INSIDERS section to read about the execution and how to part.
For the repeat-questions such as this you can search your query for instant-answers.

To add to the above, Dublin is a major startup hub. Your University might have some programs, groups and probably offer support. You might find an entrepreneurial course or incubator near you.

Imo, sound like you have a lot to learn; hence I think the above post approach is wrong for you.

___

Viable business ideas are only ones which solve a problem or a real need. Therefore you need to look for everyday problems and issues around you (B2C) and problems that businesses have (B2B). When you find an issue (there are a lot of them everywhere) your business can come in the form of a product or service.

Example:
We are in COVID times and many of us in lockdown. Its mothers day and you want to buy some flowers for your mum, because you know, you are a nice kid. The florist is closed (COVID) so you have a problem. You head online to find extremely expensive bouquet that cost 60-80 Euros delivered. Actually, before COVID you once bought one of your Tinder-dates an online bouquet worth 45 Euros. She didnt like it. The quality sucked and the pricing was insane.
As an entrepreneur you are a problem solver so you start to examine all the florists and online shops that ship bouquets. You figure out that there are really a lot of them in Dublin and that the online supply is limited to 3x businesses. You buy some flowers from brick and mortar florists and buy bouquets from all 3 online businesses. You noticed that there is no next day delivery or personalised service. Its also pretty complicated, but you are tech savvy.
All of the flowers are delivered wrapped up to your door few days later. They are dry, partly dead already and damaged by the transport. The ones that survived did not make it even past 2 days.
In your flower-research you find out that there is a rather traditional logistical chain. Farmers cut the flowers, a few B2B warehouses source and sell to further middle men-companies, which deliver the flowers to the florists in Dublin. You find out that from cut to florist-shop, it takes 7 days. The farmer sells his flowers literally in weight.
You identified that the issues are pricing, quality, short-lifetime, no personalised service, complicated online stores. You also are pretty obsessed and passionate about this problem so you come up with the following idea.

An online-sameday delivery-florist which delivers freshly cut and modernly packaged beautiful bouquets anywhere in Dublin.

By cutting all the middlemen and delivering flowers right from the farmers side, you greatly increase the lifespan of the flower. You also develop a simple water tubing system for the transport, so that they have enough water for up to 2 days. The delivery box is designed in a beautiful way and protects the flower from transport handling. You realise that by having special agreements with the farmers you can pay them more but also retain insane margins.

aka. thebouqs Company which was on shark tank in 2014, sold 1mil USD in a day and by feb 2019 has sold 30 mil flowes.

________

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.