The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can you help a 18 yo girl?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Luna

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 7, 2020
Bosnia
Hi everyone:)

I've finished High School a month ago and I'm looking for a job. I don't have any work experience. Only option for me is to work as a Virtual Assistant. If anyone needs one, I'll be more than happy to work for a minimal wage. I live in a 3rd world country and maybe 3-4$/h would be fine. Just need to start from somewhere. Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Hi, your country is surrounded by the EU and will be in the EU some day.
Help people in your surroundings and make that a service. When Bosnia joins the EU, you can expand your business immediately and scale!

Making any business in the EU from a country not being D, F, I, is much easier because of less regulations.

In short terms: walk through your city/village and talk to the people you meat. maybe the need some help!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Hi everyone:)

I've finished High School a month ago and I'm looking for a job. I don't have any work experience. Only option for me is to work as a Virtual Assistant. If anyone needs one, I'll be more than happy to work for a minimal wage. I live in a 3rd world country and maybe 3-4$/h would be fine. Just need to start from somewhere. Thanks.
You can check out Upwork, Fiverr or other freelance sites to get a much BIGGER pool of jobs to pick from.

Here's how a certain Villain signed up for an Upwork profile WITHOUT any portfolio or other forms of tangible experience- and sent proposals to reach good clients.

A quick tip:
Raise that rate from $3-4/hr to $10-15/hr, at the very least.

I've no idea what exactly your services can be, but my guess is that you can actually do more than you think.

Or think about charging by project basis. I remember one of my first jobs was like $30 per a few sets of powerpoint slides for a student's coach. I probably SHOULD have charged $50-100 for a well-made one, but that was a start.

P.S. speaking of services, what exactly can you help with as a Virtual assistant? PowerPoint? Excel? Internet research? Emails?

Luna

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 7, 2020
Bosnia
You can check out Upwork, Fiverr or other freelance sites to get a much BIGGER pool of jobs to pick from.

Here's how a certain Villain signed up for an Upwork profile WITHOUT any portfolio or other forms of tangible experience- and sent proposals to reach good clients.

A quick tip:
Raise that rate from $3-4/hr to $10-15/hr, at the very least.

I've no idea what exactly your services can be, but my guess is that you can actually do more than you think.

Or think about charging by project basis. I remember one of my first jobs was like $30 per a few sets of powerpoint slides for a student's coach. I probably SHOULD have charged $50-100 for a well-made one, but that was a start.

P.S. speaking of services, what exactly can you help with as a Virtual assistant? PowerPoint? Excel? Internet research? Emails?

I've made a profile on UpWork by following the tips on this forum. I sent a few proposals and haven't got any answer. Here's how my description looks on UpWork:

*Do you need a Virtual Assistant? What kind of business do you have and how can I help you?

Hi there!
I'm a quick learner, hard worker, and have great organizational skills. I guarantee to accomplish all requirements.

When you work with me you'll get fast response and clear communication.

Specialties:
- Scheduling
- Data entry
- Email Management
- Google sheets
- MS Office expertise
- Social media managing
- Translation

If any of that is what you need, contact me!

Respectfully,
Adisa.

P.S.
Did I mention that I offer fixed-rates?*

Maybe I should've make something for portfolio? What could it be?

If I'm being honest, my proposals aren't written good, since I don't have any experience in this area.

I want to start with blogging on Wordpress and my blog could be an example for portofolio. Also I want to learn programming in Wordpress, but judging by the internet, first I need to know HTML, CSS and PHP to start with it.

What should I do?

Luna

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 7, 2020
Bosnia
Help people in your surroundings and make that a service. When Bosnia joins the EU, you can expand your business immediately and scale!

Making any business in the EU from a country not being D, F, I, is much easier because of less regulations.

In short terms: walk through your city/village and talk to the people you meat. maybe the need some help!

Well thanks to corona I won't be able to. I mean, I could try, but this country is one of the poorest in Europe and it's sad how many people even with University diplomas are jobless.

D

Deleted74338

Bosnia is a mess(no offense), I doubt it that it will get to join the EU before 2030. There is however a big chance that she can get croatian or serbian passport by descent.
Well thanks to corona I won't be able to. I mean, I could try, but this country is one of the poorest in Europe and it's sad how many people even with University diplomas are jobless.
You should aim to get out of Bosnia, can't you get croatian citizenship because you are bosnian or something? I know it is a mess because the country is basically two split in half(republika srpska) but you can still do something out of it. You can set up an EU business with the estonian e-residency.

Luna

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 7, 2020
Bosnia
It
Bosnia is a mess(no offense), I doubt it that it will get to join the EU before 2030. There is however a big chance that she can get croatian or serbian passport by descent.

You should aim to get out of Bosnia, can't you get croatian citizenship because you are bosnian or something? I know it is a mess because the country is basically two split in half(republika srpska) but you can still do something out of it. You can set up an EU business with the estonian e-residency.

It is a mess ahahah. I really want to escape. Is it profitable to have business in Estonia? I know Russian and it could be useful if I get residency there.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I've made a profile on UpWork by following the tips on this forum. I sent a few proposals and haven't got any answer. Here's how my description looks on UpWork:

*Do you need a Virtual Assistant? What kind of business do you have and how can I help you?

Hi there!
I'm a quick learner, hard worker, and have great organizational skills. I guarantee to accomplish all requirements.

Specialties:
- Scheduling
- Data entry
- Email Management
- Google sheets
- MS Office expertise
- Social media managing
- Translation

Respectfully,
Adisa.

P.S.

If I'm being honest, my proposals aren't written good, since I don't have any experience in this area.

I want to start with blogging on Wordpress and my blog could be an example for portofolio. Also I want to learn programming in Wordpress, but judging by the internet, first I need to know HTML, CSS and PHP to start with it.

What should I do?

Mind that you don't always need Upwork to get jobs.
I keep a few channels open on social media and WhatsApp for networking, but the process of finding clients is similar.

Looking at your profile....yeah..needs a ton of work.
In the second thread link I sent you earlier, there's a vid of Lex Deville doing an entire demo of writing a profile.

I'll suggest some quick improvements for your part though.

Is that your profile title?
Or first sentence?

It's good to start with a few questions- as you can directly address problems and qualify clients (not all client are created the same)

The first question 'Do you need a Virtual Assistant' is odd.
On Upwork, THEY are already looking for VAs...
You don't have to ask them something that's already obvious.

A better way of thinking might be 'what kind of VA are they looking for?'
Or rather, 'What job do they need the VA for, that they or other people can't solve?'

To find out what problems business folks have, that need VAs, hit the forums, Already, Reddit has lots of sharings and rants, on what folks want to see in a great VA.

Just google something like 'reddit what do you need virtual assistants for'.

From the first page of results, here's a thread I like- full of complaints on shitty VAs you can offer improvements on:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smallbusiness/comments/b8mv2t View: https://www.reddit.com/r/smallbusiness/comments/b8mv2t/are_virtual_assistants_worth_it_who_do_you/

From a brief read, the thread tells me that not having VAs to help
  • robs people of their time (especially for family time)
  • robs them of their sanity and mental health
  • create doubt in clients (your prospects don't have enough time or energy to support them, as they are caught up with the small tasks)

So you could say something like:
'Are you driven sick of your small business by the 'small' tasks?

Missing out on family dinners, birthdays and kisses- with ALL 6 days booked on your schedule?

Would be a shame if you missed something important.
Something that not only risks shaking up your clients' trust in your plans, but also your family's sense of security.

That's what I'm here to help protect you from.

Hi, I'm...'

Something like that. There's more ways to go about it.

What kind of business do you have and how can I help you?

As for the second question...feels rather insecure to me.
I'd like to hire a VA that has some focused and confident experience in a certain sector. Not always job experience, but any experience solving problems in that area.

But I see there's room for an idea there...

Try to differentiate yourself from the masses by offering to be a 'Virtual Assistant for Educators', 'Virtual Assistant for Accountants', 'Virtual Assistant for Start-Up Founders' and so on.

Each different career will have different ways of doing business, even though they use the same Facebook and Excel tools haha.

A VA who is native to their career may be more easily accepted.

TBH, I'd expect these qualities from any VA. These are part of the job!

This seems to be your next sentence. I think you should tell what you can offer- right here- your main offer.

Example:
I am a virtual assistant who helps accountants to complete tasks that have NOTHING to do with accounting- such as email handling, Wordpress setup and proofreading.

Specialties:
- Scheduling
- Data entry
- Email Management
- Google sheets
- MS Office expertise
- Social media managing
- Translation
Ok....I'm full of questions:

• How do you do the scheduling? For appointments? Project deliverables? What software tools do you use? Asana? Trello? Many clients prefer to use certain tools, and it would be great if you can say, 'I know how to use your tools!'
  • What kind of data entry can you SPECIFICALLY help with? I won my first job by explaining I could help with data entry for students and coaches. Give data entry more specifics.
  • MS Office Expertise...with what? Excel? PowerPoint? (each of itself can be a BIG OFFER IDEA for a good freelance service, but that's for another post/thread)
  • Social media...which platform? Facebook? Twitter? Rarely would I expect any VA to be great with all platforms, as they have their own rules and stuff.
  • Translation- from what language to what language?

There's a lot of other things I could say, but I think you need to read MORE of the past TFLF threads I linked you to.

And also, READ THE OTHER UPWORK VA PROFILES.

Most of them will be crap. But after reading 3-5 pages to get a feel of their structures and offers, you might have some idea.

And also read other Upwork/ freelance profiles of other industries e.g. graphic designers, writers, reporters, etc.

I want to start with blogging on Wordpress and my blog could be an example for portofolio.
Yup, can be helpful to include that as a portfolio, if you are aiming to help clients with Wordpress installation and similar tasks.

Or even for article-writing and content marketing...which may be a step higher than just being a VA

Snapshot the blog and put it as a thumbnail or document insert. You could even put up the link, if you want clients to visit.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
You can either look at Upwork job posts and create some 'prototype' (e.g. some sample articles for an article writing job).

Yet, some clients demand that your portfolio contains 'paid work'. Which needs to be created at the request of actual market demand, instead of your own fiddle-diddle.

If you have some great school work that is relevant to some project needs, that could do.

For example, I got my first job for a students' coach, by showing him a PowerPoint presentation I made in school on leadership. It wasn't the best, but that got me in the door.

Some folks might recommend for you to work for free or lower pay with family and relatives to build up the portfolio, but I prefer the first two options.

For the choice of works to put on your portfolio- again, it depends what kind of VA you want to be, and what kind of clients you want to work with (hence the research)

D

Deleted78083

What a weird thread.

Bosnia is neither a third-world country nor a mess and won't likely join the EU either any time soon (and it's not because of Bosnia, but because all of current EU countries must agree on Bosnian membership).

Having said that, there are many opportunities in Bosnia in

- tourism: tourists only go to Mostar and Sarajevo. What other beautiful places aren't tourists going to? I remember specifically a cascade near Mostar we never could go to because there weren't any bus companies taking tourists there. We had to rent a car which we dind't because it bloody expensive.

Furthermore, many yachts are sailing around Croatia and Montenegro, you should have a look at whether you can't work on one of them as a first job experience, then further investigate what types of unmet needs these billionaires have.

- Manufacturing: I believe the EU has an agreement for certain Bosnian products that you can ship tax-free. You could therefore manufacture anything as we consume everything, from foodstuff (I remember specifically the delicious meat I ate in Mostar and the best ice-cream in the world I ate in Sarajevo) to clothes. What is your country producing? Let me tell you there are no Bosnian products in Belgium, and we would be glad to have some.

You think coming from a poor country is negative? Life may be more difficult, but that only means that there are more opportunities. A good way to make money is indeed to empower people, to give them tools so that they can become more productive. Another examples is having a look at how you could modernize agriculture, as I remember seeing people harvesting crops by hands (in 2016).

So instead of thinking how you can get another passport, how about you start thinking about how you can take Bosnia from a poor country to a rich country? Imagine what would happen if everyone left Bosnia and went to another place? When efforts are to be made, someone has to make them, and this is good because it means opportunity.

In 1949, China, Singapore and South-Korea were among the poorest countries in the world. Then people got to work. Today, they are the richest countries in the world with many billionaires. If your country has problems, provide solutions to fix them. The more problems, the more solutions. If you don't know where to start, you might get some inspiration reading Lee Kuan Yew's biography. And if you think you are nobody and will never make a change, then read Margaret Thatcher's biography.

Last piece of advice: if you want to start making a quick buck rather fast, forget about VA sign up on iTalkie and become a community teacher of Russian. You'll have people flocking to you in no time.

Don't run away from problems: get paid to fix them.

Good luck,

M.

Adisa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 6, 2020
Europe
You can either look at Upwork job posts and create some 'prototype' (e.g. some sample articles for an article writing job).

Yet, some clients demand that your portfolio contains 'paid work'. Which needs to be created at the request of actual market demand, instead of your own fiddle-diddle.

If you have some great school work that is relevant to some project needs, that could do.

For example, I got my first job for a students' coach, by showing him a PowerPoint presentation I made in school on leadership. It wasn't the best, but that got me in the door.

Some folks might recommend for you to work for free or lower pay with family and relatives to build up the portfolio, but I prefer the first two options.

For the choice of works to put on your portfolio- again, it depends what kind of VA you want to be, and what kind of clients you want to work with (hence the research)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Adisa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 6, 2020
Europe
What a weird thread.

Bosnia is neither a third-world country nor a mess and won't likely join the EU either any time soon (and it's not because of Bosnia, but because all of current EU countries must agree on Bosnian membership).

Having said that, there are many opportunities in Bosnia in

- tourism: tourists only go to Mostar and Sarajevo. What other beautiful places aren't tourists going to? I remember specifically a cascade near Mostar we never could go to because there weren't any bus companies taking tourists there. We had to rent a car which we dind't because it bloody expensive.

Furthermore, many yachts are sailing around Croatia and Montenegro, you should have a look at whether you can't work on one of them as a first job experience, then further investigate what types of unmet needs these billionaires have.

- Manufacturing: I believe the EU has an agreement for certain Bosnian products that you can ship tax-free. You could therefore manufacture anything as we consume everything, from foodstuff (I remember specifically the delicious meat I ate in Mostar and the best ice-cream in the world I ate in Sarajevo) to clothes. What is your country producing? Let me tell you there are no Bosnian products in Belgium, and we would be glad to have some.

You think coming from a poor country is negative? Life may be more difficult, but that only means that there are more opportunities. A good way to make money is indeed to empower people, to give them tools so that they can become more productive. Another examples is having a look at how you could modernize agriculture, as I remember seeing people harvesting crops by hands (in 2016).

So instead of thinking how you can get another passport, how about you start thinking about how you can take Bosnia from a poor country to a rich country? Imagine what would happen if everyone left Bosnia and went to another place? When efforts are to be made, someone has to make them, and this is good because it means opportunity.

In 1949, China, Singapore and South-Korea were among the poorest countries in the world. Then people got to work. Today, they are the richest countries in the world with many billionaires. If your country has problems, provide solutions to fix them. The more problems, the more solutions. If you don't know where to start, you might get some inspiration reading Lee Kuan Yew's biography. And if you think you are nobody and will never make a change, then read Margaret Thatcher's biography.

Last piece of advice: if you want to start making a quick buck rather fast, forget about VA sign up on iTalkie and become a community teacher of Russian. You'll have people flocking to you in no time.

Don't run away from problems: get paid to fix them.

Good luck,

M.

I'm surprised that someone thinks like that about my country. I'll definitely consider your advice. Thanks!

D

Deleted78083

I'm surprised that someone thinks like that about my country. I'll definitely consider your advice. Thanks!
Bosnia is lovely, has amazing culture and food, fantastic history and is strategically located. Should I have the occasion to move there, I would do it without a blink.

Luna

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 7, 2020
Bosnia
Bosnia is lovely, has amazing culture and food, fantastic history and is strategically located. Should I have the occasion to move there, I would do it without a blink.

Cool. As long as you'd live from a foreign payments. Average salary here is 250€ and people are barely surviving. If situation isn't how it is, I would still move out.

Foreigners can't understand how war affected people here. I'm after-war baby and I remember when I was a little, maybe 4 or 5 years old, I was playing with a son of Croats. His grandmother succeeded with making sure us to know that Bosnian Muslim girl and Croatian Catholic boy are not allowed to play together. They teach us to hate eachothers, from the day we're born basically.

It's not only about money. Just that mentality of people is soo draining. However, I'm glad that someone thinks good about my country.

D

Deleted78083

Cool. As long as you'd live from a foreign payments. Average salary here is 250€ and people are barely surviving. If situation isn't how it is, I would still move out.

Foreigners can't understand how war affected people here. I'm after-war baby and I remember when I was a little, maybe 4 or 5 years old, I was playing with a son of Croats. His grandmother succeeded with making sure us to know that Bosnian Muslim girl and Croatian Catholic boy are not allowed to play together. They teach us to hate eachothers, from the day we're born basically.

It's not only about money. Just that mentality of people is soo draining. However, I'm glad that someone thinks good about my country.

That is sad...but it is everywhere the same. In my country, considered "rich", the poverty level is 20% of the population. 1/5 people live under the poverty level and unemployment in my city is 21%.

The country is made up of two communities that don't speak to each other, so even if one kid had the chance to play with another...they wouldn't be able to because they don't speak the same language.

Now, you could complain and say "geeez, if only I was born in Sweden" and just spend your days being angry at destiny.

---------------

Or you could build a cultural and community center. You could organize an exhibition about the war to attract attention on this problem (I went to see a very interesting one in Sarajevo). You could start a school with a high cultural diversification. You could even write a blog about it. "But no one will read it", yeah, bs, Malala Yousafzi (apologies if name is wrongly spell out) built a blog to spread her ideas and ended up winning Nobel Peace Prize. Yep with a blog. And why???? Because of the size of the problem she started solving. Big problem = big reward. And she was only 14!

You have access to the internet, that's already something 3 billion people don't have. So get to work.

daftypunk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Mar 29, 2020
Asia

Hi there!

Specialties:
- Scheduling
- Data entry
- Email Management
- Google sheets
- MS Office expertise
- Social media managing
- Translation

Respectfully,
Adisa.

P.S.

What should I do?

Seems like you already know a lot.
Considering the skills you have, i think you will be able to find a well paid job while learning a side skill - web design/copywriting/sales/graphic design/coding

Choose any of them and stick to it.

Also, if i were you i would focus on translation. If you are fluent in writing bosnian/ translate it to english or vice versa you will be able to find work quite easily since its in high demand.

Good Luck!

Luna

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 7, 2020
Bosnia
That is sad...but it is everywhere the same. In my country, considered "rich", the poverty level is 20% of the population. 1/5 people live under the poverty level and unemployment in my city is 21%.

The country is made up of two communities that don't speak to each other, so even if one kid had the chance to play with another...they wouldn't be able to because they don't speak the same language.

Now, you could complain and say "geeez, if only I was born in Sweden" and just spend your days being angry at destiny.

---------------

Or you could build a cultural and community center. You could organize an exhibition about the war to attract attention on this problem (I went to see a very interesting one in Sarajevo). You could start a school with a high cultural diversification. You could even write a blog about it. "But no one will read it", yeah, bs, Malala Yousafzi (apologies if name is wrongly spell out) built a blog to spread her ideas and ended up winning Nobel Peace Prize. Yep with a blog. And why???? Because of the size of the problem she started solving. Big problem = big reward. And she was only 14!

You have access to the internet, that's already something 3 billion people don't have. So get to work.

You know what they say: "Everyone thinks that their problems are the worst." That's true, maybe this is a little bit cynical or pessimistic, looking at other people's problems won't solve mine. Just because someone is living worse than me, in worse conditions or circumstances, that's not helping me. It makes me feel grateful for what I have, but what I have is not enough. Actually, is there any human being who really thinks that what he/she has is enough? It's in our nature to always strive for more, in fact it's all about an ego.

I'm sorry to hear that. In my country native languages are Bosnian,Croatian and Serbian and 99.9% is the same language. We all perfectly understand eachothers. And of course, we even argue about our language, for ex. : Does Bosnian has Serbian or Turkish roots? It's silly and people until this day are talking about that. I wonder will life in this country ever be on European standards..

You have amazing ideas! I've never thought about them. Thanks for recommendations, I've read very interesting biographies of people you told me about. After all, I don't have that big ambitions. We all are unique and we all have the same end-death.

Luna

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 7, 2020
Bosnia
Seems like you already know a lot.
Considering the skills you have, i think you will be able to find a well paid job while learning a side skill - web design/copywriting/sales/graphic design/coding

Choose any of them and stick to it.

Also, if i were you i would focus on translation. If you are fluent in writing bosnian/ translate it to english or vice versa you will be able to find work quite easily since its in high demand.

Good Luck!

Thank you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.