The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can something as simple as this be FASTLANE?

jbar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Oct 21, 2010
From MJ's book:

Need - Everyone owns many of these
Entry - A niche industry that's hard break into
Control - I can control every aspect of this (I think)
Scale - Definitely worldwide
Time - Initial setup and then all there is to do is ship out the product

So you're probably wondering what it is.

I started a casual wear t-shirt business in the golf industry that I'm trying to get off the ground. Obviously its been done before but the design concept on the shirt is very unique and has not been done before (that's what the folks at the PGA Tour told me too). I contacted them, sent them samples and they told me that the idea was great but since I did not have enough experience in the industry they could not give me a license. They said to go get some experience and call us back.

So far we have ordered the shirts. If all goes well we should have the shirts in hand by the end of next week. I also have a golf store that will hold them on a consignment basis. (Hey it's a start) They love the design and want them for the holiday season. I know they have nothing to lose but it will get the shirts out there. This way I can also go to other stores and tell them that they are being sold in XYZ store so you should try to sell them too. We'll see what happens. I am hoping to have the website done shortly also.

Any ideas suggestion comments would be appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sounds Fastlane -- sometimes it isn't all that complicated. Was Snuggie complicated? No slip hangers? There's an endless list of simple Fastlanes.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
sounds great i do not know much about the industry though. I would say do not get too excited on the idea, it never means too much. From an outside perspective i would suggest.

Gather a focus group (or ask 1 on 1) many people on do they like your product and would they ever really purchase it, say you just work for the company so you get an honest opinion.

Next, how to get it into as many stores as possible on consignment.

I have no experience but would figure alot of clothing sales are done through advertising and incising people to purchase the clothing because you made it desirable.

Go to the first store you put the clothing into and stay there all day, or for 5 days 7 days. If anyone walks past your clothing chase them outside and ask why they didnt buy and what would have made them. Then when the first customer bought the shirt chase him outside and ask why he purchased it.

It sounds slowlane but once you see your changes are making an impact its time to scale.

Also make a special station for your clothing. If you have clothing displayed with or on a cool novelty it is much better than folded in a corner, remember you have no brand recognition so you must be aggressive.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Most often, the one common denominator of great ideas are the ones that are simple and make you think "gee, why didn't i think of that?" I assumed it was already done, it was right in front of me. Hidden in plain sight.

Speaking of apparel, I dated a good friend of Sara Blakely that started Spanx. I remember Sara telling us about her idea when she cut off the legs of panty hose at the knees to wear them under her capri pants. she was turned down by many apparel companies. A few years later she blew it up huge.

A great way to get in w/ the PGA/LPGA is supply shirts as gifts for Pro-Ams etc... I played in a few pro ams as a sponsor and got shirts for my $1000-$3000 donation ;)

good luck!

jbar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Oct 21, 2010
I would say do not get too excited on the idea, it never means too much. From an outside perspective i would suggest.

No fun if you can't get too excited about your idea.

Go to the first store you put the clothing into and stay there all day, or for 5 days 7 days. If anyone walks past your clothing chase them outside and ask why they didnt buy and what would have made them. Then when the first customer bought the shirt chase him outside and ask why he purchased it.

That's a good idea. Do people really do this? I've never had it happen to me before.
Also make a special station for your clothing. If you have clothing displayed with or on a cool novelty it is much better than folded in a corner, remember you have no brand recognition so you must be aggressive.

Let's see if they sell first and then go with the kiosk idea.

Thanks for your input.

jbar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Oct 21, 2010
A great way to get in w/ the PGA/LPGA is supply shirts as gifts for Pro-Ams etc... I played in a few pro ams as a sponsor and got shirts for my $1000-$3000 donation

I thought about giving away shirts to the PGA tour players' wives and the LPGA tour women. I love the idea about the Pro-Ams gift. Thanks!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread moved to Gen Discussion, no worries J!

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
From MJ's book:

I started a casual wear t-shirt business in the golf industry that I'm trying to get off the ground. Obviously its been done before but the design concept on the shirt is very unique and has not been done before (that's what the folks at the PGA Tour told me too). I contacted them, sent them samples and they told me that the idea was great but since I did not have enough experience in the industry they could not give me a license. They said to go get some experience and call us back.

So far we have ordered the shirts. If all goes well we should have the shirts in hand by the end of next week. I also have a golf store that will hold them on a consignment basis. (Hey it's a start) They love the design and want them for the holiday season. I know they have nothing to lose but it will get the shirts out there. This way I can also go to other stores and tell them that they are being sold in XYZ store so you should try to sell them too. We'll see what happens. I am hoping to have the website done shortly also.

Any ideas suggestion comments would be appreciated.

Check out the video on how I made my millions and click on the life is good video.

News Headlines

Bert and John Jacobs came up with the Life is Good logo for their T-shirts and started selling out the back of their minivan. Now they have workers, and a store to handle their million dollar business. Continue to think how you want to market your product. Another idea may be to visit golf shops, talk to the owner and introduce your product. Ask if you can get a set block to show off your shirts.

I think one key word you need to add to your list is sacrifice. Millionaires did not become millionaires overnight. They did many things we normally don't hear about.

Tom

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
Got them printed, in 3 stores. Sold 2 so far. It's a start!

Speed ++

As I wrote for you comment, stay focused and be prepared for possible times when there are slow sales.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.