The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can I live off of interest on $100 Million for life?

FastLaner007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Jan 28, 2014
If I earn $100Million after taxes via businesses in the USA and Europe, what taxes will I need to pay on yearly interest/dividends of 5% from investments of the $100Million principal after accounting for 3% inflation for example? I am 27 now BTW. And let's assume that I will live till 85. Can I live a luxurious lifestyle while simultaneously beating inflation and not touching the principal forever? In fact I want the principal to grow every year in proportion to inflation.

Appreciate your valuable replies, FastLaners.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Harbourmaster

If it is to be, it's up to me.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Mar 2, 2017
Canada
I only have one question - how did you make your $100,000,000??

Sounds like a story that is worth telling!

Or is this a hypothetical situation?

The answer is, of course you can. At a 2-6% return (depending on risk tolerance) you’d be generating between $2M-$6M dollars a year. If inflation is 2-3% you are ahead of the curve.

To be honest though, if this is hypothetical you are better off putting your mental energy and focus towards getting to that point as opposed to thinking about what you will do with the money once you’re there. It’s like deciding what colour Lambo you will get right now, even though you can’t afford one.

Last edited:

Healthfulness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Oct 7, 2018
Denmark
I only have one question - how did you make your $100,000,000??

Sounds like a story that is worth telling!

Or is this a hypothetical situation?

The answer is, of course you can. At a 2-6% return (depending on risk tolerance) you’d be generating between $2M-$6M dollars a year. If inflation is 2-3% you are ahead of the curve.

To be honest though, if this is hypothetical you are better off putting your mental energy and focus towards getting to that point as opposed to thinking about what you will do with the money once you’re there. It’s like deciding what colour Lambo you will get right now, even though you can’t afford one.
I believe that person who has 100,000,000 wouldn't need to ask such question, as he/she would definitely know what to do with It. I am assuming this as It takes insane knowledge and experience to aquire that money and that knowledgeable and experienced person would have multiple different income streams that would mutliply his 100 millions many times until age 85.

FastLaner007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Jan 28, 2014
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I have not earned the 100 Mil yet. I wanted to ask the question for motivation as I am on track to starting some high growth ventures. Many guys in my markets have made hundreds of millions and even billions.

So, coming back to my question. Can someone clear my doubt with some numbers? Let's say:

5% dividends and interest from investments => $5 Million
Inflation => 3% ($3 Million)
Taxes => 15% to 40% approx? (Not sure how much would the capital gains tax is be).

Will I be paying taxes on the whole of 5% interest/dividend income or on 2% (after deducting the 3% inflation rate from the 5% interest)?

Please kindly answer my question above guys as I have not yet found an answer online for many days.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I have not earned the 100 Mil yet. I wanted to ask the question for motivation as I am on track to starting some high growth ventures. Many guys in my markets have made hundreds of millions and even billions.

So, coming back to my question. Can someone clear my doubt with some numbers? Let's say:

Taxes => 15% to 40% approx? (Not sure how much would the capital gains tax is be).

Will I be paying taxes on the whole of 5% interest/dividend income or on 2% (after deducting the 3% inflation rate from the 5% interest)?

Please kindly answer my question above guys as I have not yet found an answer online for many days.
Why do you think you would get a deduction for inflation? Do you now? If not, why would you *when* you're rich?

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Why do you think you would get a deduction for inflation? Do you now? If not, why would you *when* you're rich?
You're missing the point. There's no point in going for the hundred million in 10 years if it's only worth 90 million in today's dollars.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
You're missing the point. There's no point in going for the hundred million in 10 years if it's only worth 90 million in today's dollars.
Good point. Guess I won't get off my couch today then. Not even worth it for only $90 million.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
If I earn $100Million after taxes via businesses in the USA and Europe, what taxes will I need to pay on yearly interest/dividends of 5% from investments of the $100Million principal after accounting for 3% inflation for example? I am 27 now BTW. And let's assume that I will live till 85. Can I live a luxurious lifestyle while simultaneously beating inflation and not touching the principal forever? In fact I want the principal to grow every year in proportion to inflation.

Appreciate your valuable replies, FastLaners.
Joking aside, this question is a little like the kid at batting practice worrying about if his agents going to screw him if he somehow gets signed by the Yankees in 10 years.

Don't worry about it, and just focus on the business you're working on.

Harbourmaster

If it is to be, it's up to me.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Mar 2, 2017
Canada

You missed the entire point and now you are wasting everyone’s time.

By your own words, you have spent days researching this without an answer. What a waste of energy.

Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

Concentrate on growing your business and end this thread.

If you lack the capability to even two-minute google some of these hypotheticals, then you lack the capability to grow a $100M venture.

Stop being an idiot. Start working.

When you make your first $1M, come back and post this stupid thread again.

FastLaner007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Jan 28, 2014
You missed the entire point and now you are wasting everyone’s time.

By your own words, you have spends days researching this without an answer. What a waste of energy.

Wasting time? There is no such thing as a dumb question. I wanted to research the same after finding some conflicting numbers in some examples on Quora.

Guys, please clear this up. One Quora answer first deducts inflation rate from the yearly interest rate and then applies 15% tax on the difference. Is that how it works?

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016

That's because there isn't an answer.

What will inflation be?
What assets will you own?
What form of income will you have? (passive? active?)
What tax deductible expenses will you have?
What business structure will you employ?
Which countries taxes will be applicable?
Which state's taxes (assuming USA) will be applicable?
How will tax laws change between now and then?

But overall, yeah. If you're not paying to fly super models out in your private jet for bottle service at the club on a nightly basis, you'd probably be just fine.

I could live on $100 million without touching the principal. (although I might have to adjust my current lifestyle down a bit lol)

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Wasting time? There is no such thing as a dumb question. I wanted to research the same after finding some conflicting numbers in some examples on Quora.

Guys, please clear this up. One Quora answer first deducts inflation rate from the yearly interest rate and then applies 15% tax on the difference. Is that how it works?
There are in fact dumb questions, but you've gotten a couple of answers that would have helped steer you in a more productive direction.

If you're looking for a clear numerical answer, then the answer is always 7.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

No.

You pay taxes on the capital gains. The inflation rate is just how much less your money is worth.

You'd only deduct the interest rate if you were running a net present value calculation on the annuity.

FastLaner007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Jan 28, 2014
No.

You pay taxes on the capital gains. The inflation rate is just how much less your money is worth.

You'd only deduct the interest rate if you were running a net present value calculation on the annuity.

Thanks for your useful answer bro. Let me paste a Quora answer with some numbers below and tell me if he is right. I am assuming his calculations are wrong judging by your answer.

Quora answer:

You have an equation that looks like this:
income = (principal) * (1 + interest) / (1 + inflation) - (principal)

Let's say principal = $1M, interest = 5% (to be safe), inflation = 3%

Then what you have each year to live off of - in 2015 dollars - is $20,000, the equivalent of a full-time job at $9.60 / hr. That leaves you with $17,200 after taxes. If you're supporting a spouse and one child, you're below the poverty line.

So the guy is applying taxes on the difference between the interest rate and inflation rate. Is he right or wrong?

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
So the guy is applying taxes on the difference between the interest rate and inflation rate. Is he right or wrong?

That's not what he's doing.

He's saying that you'd have $50,000 from the interest, and after adjusting for a 3% inflation rate you have $17,200 equivalent spending power after taxes.

You would physically have the $50,000 to subtract tax from.

But you'd have the spending power of $20,000 to subtract tax from.

Let's say I have $100 and Snickers bars cost exactly $1

$100 = 100 Snickers Bars

Next year I have $100, but Snickers Bars have inflated to $2

$100 = 50 Snickers Bars

Same $100...less Snickers Bars for me.

Inflation = less Snickers Bars

The same money can buy less stuff

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
He's saying that you'd have $50,000 from the interest, and after adjusting for a 3% inflation rate you have $17,200 equivalent spending power after taxes.
This is what he's saying, but that's not how you factor in inflation.
Just poor methodology all around.

FastLaner007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Jan 28, 2014
That's not what he's doing.

You would physically have the $50,000 to subtract tax from.

But you'd have the spending power of $20,000 to subtract tax from.

Let's say I have $100 and Snickers bars cost exactly $1

$100 = 100 Snickers Bars

Next year I have $100, but Snickers Bars have inflated to $2

$100 = 50 Snickers Bars

Same $100...less Snickers Bars for me.

Inflation = less Snickers Bars

The same money can buy less stuff

Thanks a ton for clearing this for me brother. So from the $50000 interest example above, can a person beat inflation by reinvesting 3% from the interest back into the principal after paying taxes on the 5% interest and live off of whatever's left from the interest after paying taxes and reinvesting the inflation rate?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Here you go. If you had $100M in a bank account at 5%, you'd likely pay 40% taxes on it. So, $5M income @60% is what you have left. $3M a year. Now you have to decide if you can live on that.

Of course principal is not growing this way. And you don't realize this yet, but yes your question is stupid. You will come back in 5 years and agree.

How close are you to $100M, I'm assuming you must be at least over 1M?

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
"if"

in the meantime.... Enjoy a woman snoring with a airplane. @Kak

Last edited:

FastLaner007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Jan 28, 2014
Here you go. If you had $100M in a bank account at 5%, you'd likely pay 40% taxes on it. So, $5M income @60% is what you have left. $3M a year. Now you have to decide if you can live on that.

Of course principal is not growing this way. And you don't realize this yet, but yes your question is stupid. You will come back in 5 years and agree.

How close are you to $100M, I'm assuming you must be at least over 1M?

My question must be silly if that is coming from a reputed old member like you unlike an amateur calling me an idiot above just for asking an innocent question. I have never done taxes on my own as all my business affairs are managed by my family's accountants. Also, I have been pampered by my parents since birth, so I have very little real world tax experience. And yes, I never worked a day in my life. All in all I am not ashamed that I had to ask this stupid question as it's been answered nicely by the lovely TMF community.

Biophase, in the $5 Million interest example above, how do you suggest I grow the principal to negate inflation? And will I still be paying 40% taxes if that interest comes from dividends or capital gains and not necessarily bank interest?

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.