The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can I get a job AND learn about business?

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I'm 16 and I'm taking my road test Monday. I have a few business ventures that I'm trying to develop but a steady income from a part time job wouldn't hurt either. I'm going to join my local real estate investing club that meets once a month at a hotel in order to learn and network. I was also hoping to possibly get a job with an REI or an REI organization to be around what I want to do. Are there any other jobs I can look into as a 16 year old that I can profit and learn from? Or should I just get the easiest/highest paying job I can find regardless of what I learn from it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Often times your job will open doors of opportunity for you.

1) Networking opportunities
2) Business/need opportunities.

There is NOTHING wrong with getting a job and if you talk to many successful entrepreneurs, they will tell you that they had a JOB first - usually goes something like this: "I was working for XXX and I saw how all my vendors had a need for YYYY, so I quit my job and starting selling YYY to the ZZZ industry".

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
As a follow up, one of my dead-end jobs led me to my business. If I didn't have that dead-end job, I wouldn't have recognized the opportunity.

rico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK
It's what I did.

I set up my first internet business whilst at uni. I was bored of my degree (but still studied hard and got a good result - good backup), so set it up. Grew it in my spare time.

Then took a full time job in an internet marketing firm. Did a year there and made sure I concentrated when the finance or admin guys were talking about their work. Listened to what problems and challenges they came across and made a note.

Left that after a year as I got a good opportunity and been working on that since. Those lessons from my full time job have proved very useful!!!

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Jobs are not evil.

However, I've thought of all jobs as temporary and contract.
That way I didn't get too comfortable,
I took care of myself financially,
and I went to work immediately
on the list of things I wanted to learn from the post.

Oh, yes,
I ALWAYS make a list of what I want to learn
BEFORE I take the job.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
Oh, yes,
I ALWAYS make a list of what I want to learn
BEFORE I take the job.

rep speed ++

If you are going to take a job to learn about business, PLEASE heed Kimberland's advice. I have been at my job for 3 years now, and only recently has it occured to me that had I made a list and had a plan for what I wanted to learn from this opportunity, I could probably already be working on my own deals.

Instead, its going to take me another year or so minimum. :iamwithstupid:

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
Do you guys suggest a certain position I should apply for or a certain company I should look into? I was thinking about a sales job but I'm much more interested in real estate so I might start looking for that type of job.

Thanks.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In my opinion, a RE job is ALWAYS a good investment over the long-term. Even if you don't make a career out of Real Estate, the knowledge you gain will be priceless when you go to buy your personal residences. Over the course of your lifetime as a non-RE-investor, you might buy 5-10 properties. That knowledge can go a long way. I'm 38 and going on my 7th transaction - Im not a career RE investor.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I think this is one of the best bets you can make. Get to work a RE job will give you a great insight and you will get paid for learning. Sounds like a great plan to me.

My only warning here is about making the right decision for the type of work you are looking for. If you are thinking in getting into commercial real estate then go looking for a job with a big or mid size property management company. If is about development then go after a job with a RE developer. It may sound obvious, but I've seen many ending up being the classical Realtor dealing with SFH transactions, when they intended to get into commercial real estate. When you ask why the reason is that becoming an agent is too simple, so many go for that forgetting why they were looking for this type of job in the first place.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I'm planning on applying for a job in the sales office of this new condo-complex being build down the street from me. I'm eventually hoping to get into development, so I think this would be a good learning experience.

I second andviv's advice. Get a job in the line of real estate that interests you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.