The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can 'Doing what you love ' be ones passion or not?

Shaswat singh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Sep 25, 2022
Hlo guys and @Andy Black , I have a question for you. I've been reading the book fast lane millionaire for some time now and I got to a point where MJ describes 'that we should not do what we love for money otherwise it corrupts our love towards that activity, just like how Mj hated driving after doing the limo job'. After this topic MJ talks about passion of how he had passion for a Lamborghini for which he was willing to do whatever it takes . My question is what is passion, as for me I like to make Art I'm an artist. I spent hours making art everyday whenever I get time. All of this started because i was a kid so loved video games but never got a chance to play one. After that one day I saw a game called last of us on YouTube and I was super fascinated by it. At that very moment I decided to make games and I started gaining the required knowledge , things were going pretty normal. But then one day I stumbled upon a question in my life 'How am I going to get money for making this game'.

I was not the brightest kid in my class but I always tried to be one. Although I got interested in computers and got quite knowledgeable on it. I always hated the idea of doing a job from starting and since I was not very good in studies in my school days. So I can't be one of those said to be high income doctor, engineer or lawyer etc . So I got an alternative of it, I made up mind for being businessman. Still learning on how to be one. In the end all I'm asking is what is passion is it something materialistic or something we love to do. Coz I really think I love game and making it. So am I being true to myself , that I really like doing what I believe I like to do. And lastly can (doing what you love) be ones passion as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
my question is what is passion, as for me I like to make Art I'm an artist.
Are you good at it? Sounds like you are if you are spending so much time.

You probably can and will make money off it if you can find a way to distribute either your art or your process of making art in a way that provides massive value.

Massive value means entertainment or edutainment in this sense, or anything else you can come up with. Wanting to sell expensive art is stupid if you have no reputation to your name. If you can become a brand, then it becomes massively smart.

There's a million of other good artist, if not unnamed Picassos, wanting to sell their art. They'll probably remain unknown too just because they think they're special. You have to create something or attack it at an angle that you will allow you to stand out. There's also selling custom furry or fetish art piece, which I bet will earn you quite a bit because there are some weirdos sitting on fat stacks of cash. I don't know your tolerance and morals, so these are just ideas.

Example of creating a business around art:

Watch anyone of his video and you will realize oh shit. He's not just an artist. He's a PRO videographer, editor, sound designer, and story teller. He learned everything by himself and online courses.

You can probably make money off your art too if you're creative and find a good angle to monetize it. This guy make his art an experience, can you do it too? You'll probably have to learn a few more skills, but no biggie. An artist that can shoot, film, and tell good story is an artist I'd pay big bucks for with money if not with a bit of my time...

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
Jan 18, 2022
Hlo guys and @Andy Black , I have a question for you. I've been reading the book fast lane millionaire for some time now and I got to a point where MJ describes 'that we should not do what we love for money otherwise it corrupts our love towards that activity, just like how Mj hated driving after doing the limo job'. After this topic MJ talks about passion of how he had passion for a Lamborghini for which he was willing to do whatever it takes . My question is what is passion, as for me I like to make Art I'm an artist. I spent hours making art everyday whenever I get time. All of this started because i was a kid so loved video games but never got a chance to play one. After that one day I saw a game called last of us on YouTube and I was super fascinated by it. At that very moment I decided to make games and I started gaining the required knowledge , things were going pretty normal. But then one day I stumbled upon a question in my life 'How am I going to get money for making this game'.

I was not the brightest kid in my class but I always tried to be one. Although I got interested in computers and got quite knowledgeable on it. I always hated the idea of doing a job from starting and since I was not very good in studies in my school days. So I can't be one of those said to be high income doctor, engineer or lawyer etc . So I got an alternative of it, I made up mind for being businessman. Still learning on how to be one. In the end all I'm asking is what is passion is it something materialistic or something we love to do. Coz I really think I love game and making it. So am I being true to myself , that I really like doing what I believe I like to do. And lastly can (doing what you love) be ones passion as well.
Entirely circumstantial.

Personal experience: Yes, it's a huge F*cking trap, despite the fact I (personally) found minor success "following my passion/hobby." Despite said minor success, I now hate the industry and no longer participate in said hobby in any way, shape, and/or form and never will again.

To be fair, however, I spent 3 years working 7 days/week, at the cost of approximately 90 hours/week (sometimes more). I signed up for a job, not a business. After the initial 3 years, we began expanding, and now have 3 locations. My partners bought me out before expanding as I, quite frankly, wanted nothing to do with it anymore.

TL;DR: it's a trap if you're actually signing up for a job, not a business. It's a trap if it isn't something you're willing to swallow on a 24/7, 365 days/year basis. It's a trap once your customers/"friends" (that you spent years hobbying with) turn into pieces of shit, that are impossible to please, regardless of how many money shots you take.

Yogi_Fastlane

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
May 3, 2022

Hi, I think you need to give it a try in a commercial setting.
If you're good at art try it, you've already invested a lot of passionate time in it, find out what art sells and how others have made the money? What innovative trick can put you in the market in front of the people who spend money?

Also, developing Video games is different than developing art, but sure is a creative activity, you can sure work your way into video gaming as well, you can begin with what you're good at, Game developers often look for people with art, you can perhaps increase your skill and learn animation.
At last you can learn game development, although it takes a team effort usually to develop a game big enough to get the gaming studios interested.
At this point of time I would suggest you to first test your Art, where you stand in the market, before proceeding any further, I would say MJ is right when he says you got to be extremely lucky to be passionate about a product/service, which also a huge market demand.
Nevertheless, you can make it I reckon with your passion.

I feel businessmen are passionate about Money more than anything else, everything else is an excuse, Money demands sacrifices and nobody makes it without making them, sure MJ defines it as Family, Fitness and Freedom as the trinity but Money is the one thing which brings it, so Businessmen are good at helping people with a problem and are good at crunching numbers and making money out of that, meanwhile developing a brand, it's not simple, Money can be the goal but one should not focus on the goal but the execution, i.e that is solving a problem.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Shaswat singh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Sep 25, 2022
Hi, I think you need to give it a try in a commercial setting.
If you're good at art try it, you've already invested a lot of passionate time in it, find out what art sells and how others have made the money? What innovative trick can put you in the market in front of the people who spend money?

Also, developing Video games is different than developing art, but sure is a creative activity, you can sure work your way into video gaming as well, you can begin with what you're good at, Game developers often look for people with art, you can perhaps increase your skill and learn animation.
At last you can learn game development, although it takes a team effort usually to develop a game big enough to get the gaming studios interested.
At this point of time I would suggest you to first test your Art, where you stand in the market, before proceeding any further, I would say MJ is right when he says you got to be extremely lucky to be passionate about a product/service, which also a huge market demand.
Nevertheless, you can make it I reckon with your passion.

I feel businessmen are passionate about Money more than anything else, everything else is an excuse, Money demands sacrifices and nobody makes it without making them, sure MJ defines it as Family, Fitness and Freedom as the trinity but Money is the one thing which brings it, so Businessmen are good at helping people with a problem and are good at crunching numbers and making money out of that, meanwhile developing a brand, it's not simple, Money can be the goal but one should not focus on the goal but the execution, i.e that is solving a problem.
Thanks alot man

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.