The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cam's progress in the supplement market

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Hello all,

The time has come to open up my progress thread on my latest venture. In the past I've tried and failed (Obviously not tried hard enough) But here I am, I've learn't from failure and I've corrected my roads. If you've been on the fastlane skype group then you will know quite a bit about what I'm doing.

How it started
I was at the gym and overheard a couple of intense gym goers complaining about how they need to create their own formulas because the ones on the market either have the wrong combination of ingredients or they simply have too little value in them to actually make any difference. This is where it clicked; companies now and cutting their ingredients to a value where for it to have some intense effect you need to be drinking at least 3x the so called recommended value. Few days later, I heard the same from a different set of guys, this is where it clicked. Over the week I spoke to the hardcore gym goers and then the noobies to find out what they look for, wrote it down and to the drawing board I went. It took a while to plan and find what I wanted, but I wanted to offer truly great performing products without the massive price label. I didn't want to private label because I wouldn't then be adding any value apart from 'Ooh another preworkout *reads ingredients* but it's the same as *blank*' I didn't want this reaction. I want to establish a true brand with actual values that we stick by.

The product
I was originally going to bring a range of 5 products out all at once, but after taking advice from fellow fastlaners, I decided to put all my focus on just the one product. After doing this, I then noticed how I could change the original base product at least 3 different ways to separate it more away from competitors, and becoming a more unique product. I do have my next product planned already, but won't be taking it any further until the launch and success of my first.

So here is a simple breakdown

NEED
The supplement market isn't going anywhere, and it certainly isn't declining. Across the UK and the US alone the figures are astonishing. I plan to just focus on the UK but if I get an international customer, hell I won't be refusing. The need I spotted you've already read. I also noticed people have been searching for supplements without added creatine, since most actually take it separate. As for the competitors, most do include creatine.

ENTRY
Most companies say this but the formula I've come up with is one of the safest, guaranteed best tasting, most effective formulas on the market. (Believe me I've tried a few). The fitness industry is a high on social media, so hitting these areas are key. I do have a plan for this, but it does need some work.

CONTROL
The only aspect I can't control is the delivery of the ingredients. There are plenty of distributors in the UK I can go to incase there is a stock problem. I chose my distributor simply because they are based near me, and can travel there within 20mins for emergency supplies.

SCALE
I do want to focus on just selling direct to the customer via the company site, amazon and ebay. I will try get the product on sites like groupon, after the first year depending on profit and income then I'll consider opening to wholesale. See what happens in this area.

TIME
I do want to be fully hands on with this as I have no doubts. But if I keep it direct to the customer for the first year and we grow steadily, it can very well automate itself. The hardest job will be the customer service and the shipping. (Well the easy job)

Not sure if I've missed anything, but I'm always open to questions. I will try keep it updated

Oh and I finished my packaging design today. Just need to put nutritional details on the back.

Thanks Guys

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Good for you! Creating your own unique formula and/or a brand I think is really the best way to go into the supplement market. There are far too many "me too" supps with generic stock formulas and that no-name feel to them out there. Stand out and make a name for yourself, and you can be onto something :)

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Good for you! Creating your own unique formula and/or a brand I think is really the best way to go into the supplement market. There are far too many "me too" supps with generic stock formulas and that no-name feel to them out there. Stand out and make a name for yourself, and you can be onto something :)

Thanks man! Appreciate it. I sent you an email btw!

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Update:
Today I sent an email to my manufacture to see if there is any chance of reducing the cost a bit more. I do plan on manufacturing myself a few months down the line, but with no capital to rent an office I can't produce at hope. WHY? Health and Safety inspections.

Hopefully something good will come out of the email; if not then my margins will be low for a while. I'm ok with this since it's not long term. I'm on bit of a crossroads at the moment, I'm trying to get notice on social media, is it too soon? Still to decide what my next step should be.

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
The product
I was originally going to bring a range of 5 products out all at once, but after taking advice from fellow fastlaners, I decided to put all my focus on just the one product. After doing this, I then noticed how I could change the original base product at least 3 different ways to separate it more away from competitors, and becoming a more unique product. I do have my next product planned already, but won't be taking it any further until the launch and success of my first.

Launch with more than one product if you want to be taken seriously.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK

Interesting.. Finishing things off on the website to get that fully going. To be honest I think I need to actually launch before I'm taken seriously.

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
Interesting.. Finishing things off on the website to get that fully going. To be honest I think I need to actually launch before I'm taken seriously.

You can be taken seriously way before launch. If you launch without the right relationships developed prior then the big timers won't take you seriously.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
You can be taken seriously way before launch. If you launch without the right relationships developed prior then the big timers won't take you seriously.

Good Point, Thanks for the heads up!

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Update:

Over the weekend I did a bit of slacking, saying that I was at a wedding then spent time with the family yesterday. It felt good to have a couple of days off. So far this morning, I've purchased the domain I need (Already had webhosting) I've sent another email to my manufacture regarding the best price he can do for me. Once I've got the site online, ordered bulk packaging I'm pretty much ready to go. I will set up eBay and Amazon at a later date.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Been a while since I updated. Well the time is nearly here to launch, I got my day/night job back in security (I was running low on funds) so my time is bit limited to get the website up an running. Day off in 2 days so will complete the site then, until then I threw up a landing page last night.

My plan is while I'm currently at work to start listing my products on Amazon. I did change the game plan of my products a little bit, (I was over thinking the business and formulas) I've aimed it towards a lifestyle brand not a brand where you buy the products to get huge.

Sat thinking I do want to push people to make the transition to an healthier life, so aside from products there will be recipes, tips etc eventually on the site.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I did change the game plan of my products a little bit, (I was over thinking the business and formulas) I've aimed it towards a lifestyle brand not a brand where you buy the products to get huge.

Ummm seems you are not entirely sure of your market and if you are not 100% certain of who your your customer is you can be sure your market won't know either which means mediocre response and sales at best.

You need to focus in on who this product is for. Gender, age, fitness level, lifestyle, income etc.. Determine everything about your target customer. Create an avatar of who you are aiming this product at then base your packaging and marketing specifically at that one person. Don't try to be all things to all people as your marketing focus will become too diluted stopping you from standing out from the crowd.

Better to be a shining beacon to a small group than a candle to a multitude.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
I wasn't entirely sure before but now I am, I think the update could of been a bit clearer. The target which is wide spread is everyone. Doesn't matter what age, gender or fitness level you are. If you want to get fit here we are. Something that stands out from our products is, we don't hide ingredients like majority of the brands.

Don't get me wrong females will be easier to sell to, especially with the weight loss. Which is the products I'm going to be marketing more.

That's the good thing about the products I've created, the products are simple. Non of the confusing overselling bullshit like these major brands. The descriptions and ingredients are in simple English.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
The target which is wide spread is everyone. Doesn't matter what age, gender or fitness level you are. If you want to get fit here we are. Something that stands out from our products is, we don't hide ingredients like majority of the brands.

If the target is everyone then by definition it's not a target, its a barn door. Swap your shotgun for a snipers rifle.

Believe me you cannot effectively market to everyone. You will die poor trying. People make the mistake thinking they are losing out unless they sell to the biggest possible audience. This is not the case. It means you will try to be all things to all people and therefore not have a unique enough selling proposition to stand out from the crowd.

Not hiding your ingredients, although commendable, is not a big enough USP to make a difference. It just makes you another candle in a sea of candles. You need to stand out to the people that matter and to do that you need to strike a cord. A single specific cord chosen to resonate with a single specific group who want to hear it.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
So would you let's say, first range of products to bring out focus on weight loss first for example. Target for that is easy enough, build on that then as you develop slowly add other ranges?

I mean I've developed products across several categories, main ones are weight loss/tone and energy/focus. So to postpone some isn't a major problem if I can enter the market right.

smithsta

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
May 4, 2014

Sorry but I disagree. There's been plenty of supplements out there that have and are being taken seriously with only one product. One product that comes to mind is 'Driven Sports Craze'. This product was insane. It's banned now due to the DMAA substance but when it was available it was very popular (was being sold for £100 at one point when supplies were limited).

Another is 'Quest Bars' they have a very small range consisting of their protein bars and peanut butter cups, but they started with only the bars and these quickly became to be the best on the market. They still are the best tasting in my opinion.

This goes to show that it doesn't matter about how much products you have. One great products is better than 5 average products. Quality not quantity.

Anyway, nice work Cam. I'm going to set up my own supplement business in the near future, so I'll be following this thread closely.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Sorry but I disagree. There's been plenty of supplements out there that have and are being taken seriously with only one product. One product that comes to mind is 'Driven Sports Craze'. This product was insane. It's banned now due to the DMAA substance but when it was available it was very popular (was being sold for £100 at one point when supplies were limited).

Another is 'Quest Bars' they have a very small range consisting of their protein bars and peanut butter cups, but they started with only the bars and these quickly became to be the best on the market. They still are the best tasting in my opinion.

This goes to show that it doesn't matter about how much products you have. One great products is better than 5 average products. Quality not quantity.

Anyway, nice work Cam. I'm going to set up my own supplement business in the near future, so I'll be following this thread closely.

I agree with you smithsta, there's a ton of UK companies which have very limited products but are known across the board.

I think for now I'm gunna focus on one range of product then depending on the demand I'll slowly add more. That way I can focus solely on growing and it's easier to manage in the time being.

Thanks a lot man, good luck with your venture. Feel free to drop me a PM any time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.