The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

business schools compare to college

lobster

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Oct 23, 2007
hi, i was wondering if business schools are any good compared to colleges? i did some research on local business schools in my area, and there seems to be many of them. but then i googled the reviews on them and none of them got well reviews. so im just going to ask the boards for some advice on them. im currently thinking about going to one instead of a normal college. its more appealing to me because im actually going back after years of heading in the wrong direction. as for the business schools the most common ones i see are devry, strayer, kaplan, etc. so what i wanted to ask is these business schools a waste of money? i do see alot of people or employers say that they wont hire people from these schools. do you think its the wrong direction to go with these business schools? if so any suggestions on other business schools? thanks for any info. :huh2:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
My understanding is that the term business school, when used legitimately, refers to post-graduate institutions in which students work toward their MBA or similar. In other words, one must have completed "normal college" to go to B-school. See The Princeton Review for rankings based on whichever categories are important to you. Top names in B-schools (right now) are Booth, Harvard, Kellogg, Wharton, and the like.

Maybe naming some names would help you get the feedback you seek. What "business schools" are you looking at?

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
The first thing to ask yourself is if you want to run your own company or run someone else's.

If your answer is the latter (or ladder, ha!) they will probably want you to have some sort of formal education be it business school or college.

If you want to start your own business then there are many, many "shortcuts" to the same knowledge. Join score.org and your local SBDC (Small Business Development Center.) Most cities offer both and you can take a crash course in what you'll need to know to start a business.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Yves, I skipped both of these (out of ignorance). I have an international business degree. Do you think either would be beneficial in my case?

Score.org and your local SBDC are great resources if you are "stuck" in a certain area in your business, or you want a second set of eyes to review your plan. My experience with both of these resources is that they are mainly for B&M type businesses, as most of the members are retired business people and have little to no experience with online business/marketing/advertising.

Skyler, I think for what you are wanting to do, your best resource is this site and maybe other sites that you can network with people who have successfully launched a book/ebook.

lobster

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Oct 23, 2007
thank you sooo much for all the great advice. originally i was planning on going back to a not so popular business school like devry to get some type of degree. i did hear that employers dont like that school. but the reason why i was thinking about these types of schools was to try to speed up the school processs and not have to take course that i dont really need such as fine arts, english, etc. i know this sounds lazy but im already 35 years old and dont want to go to school for ever. since i never went to college due big set backs. so now im trying to get out of the streak of bad jobs that ive been working at. i was hoping to get some kind of degree to get a some what decent job which pays at least 45k- 50k. then try to move up from there and start investing to try to get out of the rat race. but after all the super helpful advice that you have given me, has got me rethinking about this entire school thing. im going to look into all this helpful info which you have given me and then take it from there. i do want to own my own business instead of working for someone else. i do have at least 125k in hand to invest in it. most of my other money has been tied up in messy stocks at the moment.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.