The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business Interest

ErikV10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 2, 2007
How did you know you wanted to start a business?

Were you interested in starting a business ever since you were young?

What got your interest to enter the business world?

Are there any jobs you considered before besides business?

Ever since I was young, I always wanted to be an astronaut. That was one of my biggest dreams until 2003 when disaster happened to Space Shuttle Columbia. Right when I saw the news, I lost my interest in becoming an astronaut and considered many different careers.

The other careers that I considered were being a pilot, being an engineer, then architect, to being a mechanic but when I was searching for salaries to each one of them, I was shocked about what I saw. They were way lower than what I expected.

Not until lately when I figured I wanted to be in the business world.

Dad purchased a Ferrari 360 and I joined a forum for Ferrari owners. First thing I came across was a topic called "How can I afford a Ferrari?"; most of the owners said they own a business, invest, and RE.

Since my parents also own a business. I thought eventually I would go into it too. I typed in "benefits of owning a business" in Google and after reading for about 2 hours, I finally decided that I want to own a business as well. (The universe has a good way of getting things connected.) :coco:

Now I'm really interested in business. I read many books, magazines, forums, online journals, and news (CNBC) regarding business. To date, I have learned so many things about it and have never considered another career.

:cheers:

Erik G.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Good story and good topic.

I've always loved money and luxuries, so I've had my mind set on making a lot of money since I was very young (which some might say I still am :)). At around 10 or 12, I wanted to be an architect. Then, after visiting a new RE development, I wanted to become a land developer. I thought of combining my interests for architecture and developing to create a firm that offered both when I was around 13.

That seemed like a viable option until my friend's dad and I were talking and he introduced me to investing in RE. He's a RE Attorney, but he doesn't invest. However, he does a lot of deals for his brother and his brother's kids, who own an investment firm around NYC (perhaps in NYC, actually). From that point on, RE has been my biggest passion. My interest in RE led me into the world of business, and to this site in particular. Very glad that happened. :)

As of now, it looks like my future will center around a combination of business income and a RE portfolio.

Rep for the topic, Erik!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How did you know you wanted to start a business?

When I figured-out that the lifestyle I wanted was not available by a job unless I slaved my life away up the corporate ladder where the big $$ is OR unless I got lucky on the ground-floor of some startup ... which back then, was unlikely.

Were you interested in starting a business ever since you were young?

Long ago when I was a teen: Anybody that had the lifestyle I wanted either 1) Owned businesses or 2) Was famous thru music, sports, or acting. I knew my chances of being an entertainer or athlete was slim and none.

What got your interest to enter the business world?

Watching my mother toil for $5.00/hr at fast food joints trying to support her kids. Realizing that money is made thru replication of products/units and not hours of your life traded away.

Are there any jobs you considered before besides business?

The jobs I had were either 1) To make ends meet or 2) To experiment in an industry I wanted to start a business within.

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
Well, here's my story which by the way I find very funny:
I was born in a place where most people were farmers, I was always told "if you wanna be something other than a farmer then be the best at school", so that was what I did because I'd do anything but do that (not being an a**hole, it's just that I once helped my 70-year-old farmer grandpa, and boy was that the hardest low-paying job ever). So I was really doing great, had the best grades in class and spent most of my time trying to be the best!
I had a cousin who was 8 years older than me, he was the worst at school, got into a shitty college to get a history degree! Being a freshman, he dropped out, everyone was like "wait until you see him in 5 years, he'll be misreable, no safe job, just nothing, he'll be worth nothing", so I went to this cousin of mine and had a chat with him, he said he wanted to become an investor (which I didn't know the meaning of it by that age) and he read much about it and got sick of school because it didn't provide him with anything good for his investing career, so he left the village, went to the city and we haven't heard about him until 6 years later!
At the age of 25, he was making more money than the whole village, combined, and today he's 27 and worth more than 20 million NIS (which equals to 5 mil$)! I ask my dad "what happened to him, how come he became rich while he was the worst at school?", he replies "it's luck son, nothing else", but deep inside I know it wasn't luck, it was hard work and self-esteem and most importantly "screw the haters" attitude that led him to his huge success, and since then, I always wanted to do what he did, I wanted to become as successful as he was doing what I love the best which is business and not the crappy job my parents are talking about!! :smxF:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I was always fascinated by business. Actually, lifestyle things didn't motivate me much- it was (and still is) the thrill of creating something out of nothing. (Granted, lifestyle things motivate me more now...planes, boats, lake house...) ;)

I've always had all ideas running through my head- there have been actually times where I've prayed about God slowing down the ideas because I just can't handle them all!

Business, (for me) is not all about the money. I would gladly help someone build a business for free because I enjoy it so much. Of course, I love the fact that I can make money doing something that I love- and I would welcome the problem of having too much money, but it isn't my driving force. ...It's some weird internal challenge with myself I guess.

But, yeah- I've always been this way. I fought it hard my whole life, as I was always a rebel, and wanted to do things either my way, or the most effective way- not necessarily the standard way!

I fully embraced being this way after I got out of college and quickly realized that I didn't want to work in the system- I wanted to create the system.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.