The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Conflict of interest when starting a side business while working full time?

Idea threads

soulprenuer

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 23, 2021
Hi everyone! I'm interested in starting an online C2C marketplace, but I work for a company that is also an online C2C marketplace. However, they specialize in the verification of luxury brands to prevent buyers from getting fakes, which is a big part of their success. In contrast, my business idea is for a marketplace for used clothing - so I wouldn't even be trying to attract their user base at all. I spoke with a pro bono lawyer yesterday and he said it's fine to do this idea on the side, but don't be public about it because they could fire you since it could be a conflict of interest.

I'm torn because I like my job, but I don't want to be prevented from starting my business. I'm 24 and really excited to get started on it and build it! What do you think I should do? Part of me feels like my only option is to start looking for a new non-compete job lol but does that sound reasonable??

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
I think you should research this further until you are pretty sure what can and can’t happen. I wouldn’t be public about it, not because of conflict of interest, but because your employer may think that you are working on your project instead of his.

soulprenuer

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 23, 2021
I think you should research this further until you are pretty sure what can and can’t happen. I wouldn’t be public about it, not because of conflict of interest, but because your employer may think that you are working on your project instead of his.
Yea I've decided to put my business idea to the side for now and focus on other, less complicated ideas. Thanks for your input!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.