The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

building website

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Hi Michael, this a great forum for that. There are several threads here about web dev (both technical and business sides), and several people including myself who have a background in different aspects of web technology. I think it would be really helpful for you to say a little more about what audiences you want to reach, and what your business purposes are for your web site. Is it to find clients? Deliver media from a library, online to paying subscribers? Have a way for media design clients to drop off materials for you to work on, and discuss projects that are underway? Also, how familiar are you already with the technology? Are you comfortable getting into all the tech geek details yourself, or would you want to hire someone for that?

Michael N

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 27, 2018
Hi Michael, this a great forum for that. There are several threads here about web dev (both technical and business sides), and several people including myself who have a background in different aspects of web technology. I think it would be really helpful for you to say a little more about what audiences you want to reach, and what your business purposes are for your web site. Is it to find clients? Deliver media from a library, online to paying subscribers? Have a way for media design clients to drop off materials for you to work on, and discuss projects that are underway? Also, how familiar are you already with the technology? Are you comfortable getting into all the tech geek details yourself, or would you want to hire someone for that?
I definitely want to do it myself, i have several ventures i want to pursue so i want to be able to learn all that I can. its more going to be a social media and booking site. im fairly new to the web building game, so im trying to read and watch as much as i can.

Michael N

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 27, 2018
Are you more interested in building a website or building web applications? The latter involving a backend.

A social media and booking site sounds like the latter.
Yeah it would be the web applications,
I have a couple ideas I'm pursing and all of them are web application based.
I am trying to find means of which i can learn some meaty stuff.
I have done some research, but i was just curious as to if you guys have any golden nuggets worth sharing?

SoftStone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
There are a ton of resources for building web applications.

First off for the frontend: HTML, CSS and JavaScript are the standards. You can find great resources out there, many of them free.

For the backend, which is where you handle the database and so on, there are many choices as to which lannguage to use. Some common ones are PHP (with Laravel), Python (with Django or Flask), JavaScript (with NodeJS, you would have to learn JavaScript anyways, because it's the main frontend language).

So, pick one and then start learning.

A great resources for getting an overview of web developent is this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVXcqO9A1vo

(Don't get overwhelmed or discouraged by all the things you'll see, it's really a collection, and you don't need to learn all of it).

Anyways, I hope that helps. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with! :)

Michael N

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 27, 2018
There are a ton of resources for building web applications.

First off for the frontend: HTML, CSS and JavaScript are the standards. You can find great resources out there, many of them free.

For the backend, which is where you handle the database and so on, there are many choices as to which lannguage to use. Some common ones are PHP (with Laravel), Python (with Django or Flask), JavaScript (with NodeJS, you would have to learn JavaScript anyways, because it's the main frontend language).

So, pick one and then start learning.

A great resources for getting an overview of web developent is this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVXcqO9A1vo

(Don't get overwhelmed or discouraged by all the things you'll see, it's really a collection, and you don't need to learn all of it).

Anyways, I hope that helps. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with! :)

thanks for sharing the video, way better then I anticipated.
cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Yeah it would be the web applications,
I have a couple ideas I'm pursing and all of them are web application based.
I am trying to find means of which i can learn some meaty stuff.
I have done some research, but i was just curious as to if you guys have any golden nuggets worth sharing?

I would do would SoftStone said. I have enjoyed working with Python/Django as my backend framework.

I find python syntax to be clean and easy to pickup. You wouldn't be steering yourself wrong with Ruby on Rails, or Node and JavaScript.

The actual coding isn't necessarily the most difficult part of the process. I think smart design of your application, how you organize your database schema, how you are passing around data and where you're handling logic is what separates a more seasoned developer from the rest.

I currently work as a full stack developer at a very respectable company, and have no background in software besides teaching myself for over a year and a 9 week bootcamp I attended.

Youtube is super helpful. repl.it is a cool site where you can have an IDE setup for various languages and test both front and backend code.

I would also recommend building single page web applications with the aid of AJAX and a front end framework like React or Angular. Single page is basically the modern internet. You don't want to be making calls to the backend every button click or page a user goes to, slowing the application.

Django has a good tutorial in its documentation. I would follow and build the app they have you setup. Reading docs is essential for dev.

Best advice I can give - Just build something, and don't give up when frustrated.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.