The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building a reviews website

Entrepreneur

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 4, 2010
Hi I have no experience with web-based entrepreneurship, but I have an idea to build a niche reviews based site, but am having trouble finding free sites or programs I can use to build my website.

Is wordpress free? Is there any other source I can use to build a simple reviews-based site (simple like craigslist for a start)?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
What kind of review site? Such as you post a blog post about your thoughts on a product, or one in which the community would be voting?

If it's the former, WordPress would work fine(and is free). The options for the latter may be Joombla or Drupla. Idk for sure, but they probably have an extention for something like that.

Entrepreneur

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 4, 2010
I am just thinking of reviews being posted by users who have something to say about the particular niche category...just postings - kind of basic like craigslist for the beginning, but hopefully if it grows I can have real computer techies help develop the site further with more features. I think I'll start with wordpress, but I've heard that even with wordpress I can have community voting features. Is this the case?

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
There is a lot you can do with wordpress, free and paid, through the use of plugins. There are a few plugins that I know of that are free that allow your visitors to give a star rating to a post or thumbs up/down.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
You can use wordpress and just use the comments as review fields of you're unsure of customizing it.

gdreview star plugin will prob help too.

TOLDUSO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 29, 2008
New Orleans
Not to say you can't do it better, or that you shouldn't try, but when remodeling a rental a year or so ago my wife and I looked into creating something like this only to find "angieslist.com" as well as some others that already exist. I've since heard angieslist advertised via radio also. Seems a lot of folks are using it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.