The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building a $30k p/m revenue business with Cold Email

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
...and $30k p/m is just the first milestone.

Some of you may have read my thread on Building a Giveaway Empire.

Well, I plan to build that revenue initially with leads coming via Cold Email.

I will keep writing on the other thread, but this thread will PURELY be about winning business via Cold Email.

The Premise

I am going to acquire lists of relevant contacts and send them a sequence of emails. These automated emails will stop as soon as someone replies.

I will do this on a HUGE scale. I'm talking hundreds, if not thousands of emails per day when this is at scale.

In order to do this I will use dozens of email addresses across dozens of domains, meaning each email account only sends a few emails per day, keeping deliverability and trust of these email addresses high.

I will use a centralised cloud-based software to manage all of this. As part of the service most of these platforms perform a "warm up" of your email addresses which gets the email address established and trusted.

My Current Tech Stack

- Google Domains & Namecheap (~$14 per domain, per year)
- Zoho Email Hosting ($0.80 per email address, per month - billed yearly)
- Instantly (from $37 per month)

In terms of pulling lead lists I had been using a combination of LinkedIn Sales Navigator, GrowMeOrganic, and Neverbounce. However, since joining the Instantly Facebook group, I have realised that there are individuals in there who have enterprise versions of software like Apollo who are willing to export lists to your specifications for really reasonable pricing. To me, this is much more cost-effective so I plan on doing this for the time being

Where We're Up To

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 13.50.13.png

I have been warming up a handful of email addresses since the end of last year, so was pretty much ready to get going this week.

I got one of my team to write a 7/8 email sequence based on Jon Buchan style copywriting.

As you can see above, the open rate seems very impressive and we've got one positive lead we are interacting with.

My gut feeling so far is that the copy of the first couple of emails isn't strong enough to get a response, however as people receive more of the email sequence, maybe this will improve.

As I mentioned before, I have been starting to get involved in the Instantly Facebook group, I will probably get more of a feel for benchmarking in there.

I've got someone helping me to get a further 30 email addresses set up so we can start warming them up and try some different lists as targeting is going to be important here too.

Questions?

I have probably forgotten to mention things, so feel free to hit me with any questions you may have. I'll keep posting updates.

Let's GET this

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
...and $30k p/m is just the first milestone.

Some of you may have read my thread on Building a Giveaway Empire.

Well, I plan to build that revenue initially with leads coming via Cold Email.

I will keep writing on the other thread, but this thread will PURELY be about winning business via Cold Email.

The Premise

I am going to acquire lists of relevant contacts and send them a sequence of emails. These automated emails will stop as soon as someone replies.

I will do this on a HUGE scale. I'm talking hundreds, if not thousands of emails per day when this is at scale.

In order to do this I will use dozens of email addresses across dozens of domains, meaning each email account only sends a few emails per day, keeping deliverability and trust of these email addresses high.

I will use a centralised cloud-based software to manage all of this. As part of the service most of these platforms perform a "warm up" of your email addresses which gets the email address established and trusted.

My Current Tech Stack

- Google Domains & Namecheap (~$14 per domain, per year)
- Zoho Email Hosting ($0.80 per email address, per month - billed yearly)
- Instantly (from $37 per month)

In terms of pulling lead lists I had been using a combination of LinkedIn Sales Navigator, GrowMeOrganic, and Neverbounce. However, since joining the Instantly Facebook group, I have realised that there are individuals in there who have enterprise versions of software like Apollo who are willing to export lists to your specifications for really reasonable pricing. To me, this is much more cost-effective so I plan on doing this for the time being

Where We're Up To

View attachment 46751

I have been warming up a handful of email addresses since the end of last year, so was pretty much ready to get going this week.

I got one of my team to write a 7/8 email sequence based on Jon Buchan style copywriting.

As you can see above, the open rate seems very impressive and we've got one positive lead we are interacting with.

My gut feeling so far is that the copy of the first couple of emails isn't strong enough to get a response, however as people receive more of the email sequence, maybe this will improve.

As I mentioned before, I have been starting to get involved in the Instantly Facebook group, I will probably get more of a feel for benchmarking in there.

I've got someone helping me to get a further 30 email addresses set up so we can start warming them up and try some different lists as targeting is going to be important here too.

Questions?

I have probably forgotten to mention things, so feel free to hit me with any questions you may have. I'll keep posting updates.

Let's GET this
Maybe I'm missing it, because I haven't read the other thread, but what needs are you serving with this? Or are you just spamming people to get cheap and potentially crappy leads in order to monetize?

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Maybe I'm missing it, because I haven't read the other thread, but what needs are you serving with this? Or are you just spamming people to get cheap and potentially crappy leads in order to monetize?
I am selling "Giveaways as a service".

Effectively, brands that want to grow on social media pay for the service and will gain *real* followers on social media via giveaways.

I've done this for my agency clients as part of their 6-figure per year retainers - now I want to productise it.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I am selling "Giveaways as a service".

Effectively, brands that want to grow on social media pay for the service and will gain *real* followers on social media via giveaways.

I've done this for my agency clients as part of their 6-figure per year retainers - now I want to productise it.
Interesting. While not entirely the same, have you checked out lmctplus from Australia (lmctplus.com)? The guy is making a killing. It's a subscription 'loyalty program' where for a $20/mo subscription he offers deals from over 1000 businesses that partner with him. There's a giveaway component layered on top to help with ongoing engagement, but the giveaways are substantial; lots of cars, houses etc. There's also a philanthropic angle but that could be more of a write-off

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Interesting. While not entirely the same, have you checked out lmctplus from Australia (lmctplus.com)? The guy is making a killing. It's a subscription 'loyalty program' where for a $20/mo subscription he offers deals from over 1000 businesses that partner with him. There's a giveaway component layered on top to help with ongoing engagement, but the giveaways are substantial; lots of cars, houses etc. There's also a philanthropic angle but that could be more of a write-off
That sounds SUPER interesting and definitely the sort of direction we could end up going in building such a large list of segmented contacts.

I will check it out - thank you so much.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I wonder how many regular subscribers he has
Snapshop stats on their About Us page "We're now trusted by over 400,000 aussies and along the journey have held Australia's most exciting promotions with the help from our partners with over 350 total prize winners"

...or ~$8M/mo. Not a bad gig for a business that started in 2018

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Further 30 email addresses have been set up for $50 by a kind soul from the Instantly Facebook group. That has saved me a ton of time and frustration!

One thing to bare in mind is that it's recommended that you "warm up" the email addresses for at least 14 days, so, you kind of need to be ahead of where you want to be so you aren't left frustrated!

I have also ordered 10k cleansed email addresses for $50 - based on an Apollo search I specified. Excited to receive that early next week and see how it performs. If well, I will for sure cancel my LinkedIn Sales Navigator and GrowMeOrganic - just not worth it for the time and money when it can be so easily outsourced.

I've had a couple more replies, but nothing super concrete.

Right now I am targeting the owners of SMALL businesses, 1-10 employees.

The new data I am purchasing is much broader than that, including senior marketing professionals in organisations up to 1000 employees. I am excited to segment and test these to see if the response rate is higher.

Either way, there are quite a lot of variables to play with, both on the targeting side AND on the content side to get this dialed in.

As always - will keep you posted!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.