The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bringing my first Android app to market - The process

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
A couple of weeks ago I decided I would start making(or paying to have made) Android apps. I need to find a way to bring in income without calling or receiving calls from customers. I also need to generate cash flow without face to face customer interaction. Applications seem to be a good way to do this. I realize it won't be easy but you don't get anywhere without trying.

I'm in Afghanistan. I'm at work close to 70 hours a week and nearly all other business ideas are damn near impossible to execute on. Last year I made what I believe to have been an awesome real estate website. I busted my a$$ on it for 2 months straight(not all that long but 5+ hours a night after a 10.5hr shift) managing 5 part time Elancers. I had just launched my website when I was told I was going to have to move from my cushy base with a private internet connection to an overcrowded shithole in Kabul with only Government provided internet. I ended up "quitting" my job over it. About a week into my 3 week notice I talked to my boss and ended up backing out of it. I decided to keep my job :nonod: I have a family to support so decided to keep earning. I did not have enough to time to prove my website was going to become profitable and didn't have the balls to walk.

I let the site die and didn't look back. On to my next venture..Apps!

Once I came up with my idea for an app I checked out google play. Google play is the new Android market where you can upload your app and sell it to the masses. I did a search on the market to see if my idea had already been created. it had! Many times...Great! The idea is proven and it's selling like crack. I plan on taking market share away from the couple that are dominating and get compensated with a nice little stream of income. If I'm able to successfully penetrate the market I'll release app #2. With 2 apps on the market earning money without me trading hours for dollars I believe I'll be able to quit my job and focus on building more apps or another venture that I haven't been able to put in the time to get off of the ground yet.

After I came up with the first idea I decided that it was time to start learning all I can about these little applications. I picked up the book App Empire. It's a good read if you're new to the app business but it is completely focused on Apple iOS. I decided I needed to learn more about Android so I knocked out 2 more short books that are specifically about Android, Genius Android Marketing and The Best Book on Marketing your Android App. They were both short reads and I'd recommend reading Genius Android Marketing if you're going to read a book on Android.

On May 31st I posted a very vague work request on Elance. I said I would like to have an Android app created and that was pretty much it. I received 32 responses within about 12 hours and I contacted somewhere around 10 of them. Most of them were pretty slow to respond so I crossed their names off the list. I decided to contact 1 more programmer who didn't have much of a portfolio but he had created an app that I wanted tied into mine. He was super responsive from the start and seems to work all hours day and night. He must sleep when I do because he always responds within 15 minutes of my emails.

I decided to select him yesterday and try my luck. He's been devoted to this since then and sent me the apk of the UI today. Pretty sweet having the app on my phone already :icon_super: even if it is just a rough user interface things are moving along.

So this is where I will document "the process" I hope to have it live within 3 weeks..probably even sooner at this rate.

if you made it this far thanks for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Pretty cool, and congrats on getting the ball going.

About your app, are you planning to sell the app? or make it free with in-app sales? or is it going to make money with in-app ads?

Good luck!

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Thanks, andviv. I'll have a free trial..full functionality for a limited amount of uses and a paid version. Ads wouldn't work well on this type of app.

Long term I think a combination of free and paid apps is the best strategy. Funnel users of your free apps to paid ones and if it's an app that gets a lot of uses or users on for a decent amount of time you can monetize with ads.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Funnel users of your free apps to paid ones and if it's an app that gets a lot of uses or users on for a decent amount of time you can monetize with ads.
My gut feeling is that this rarely works, but have no data to confirm it.

Do you know of good examples of apps where people get the "lite", free app, and then upgrade? (I don't recall ever upgrading from lite to full for my iPhone. maybe the Android crowd behaves differently, or I am just the odd ball)

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Yes, you can find a lot of examples in the Android market. Android OS is spread across a wide variety of phone models so sometimes the apps do not function correctly on certain models. It also has a large community of rooted phones and some apps will not function on phones that are not rooted. It allows users to test it out on their phone to see if it works before they buy.

It should also prevent a lot of 1 star reviews from showing up on your paid app. If someone pays for an app that doesn't work they'll give out a negative rating. If someone downloads a free app and they don't like it they may not waste their time giving a rating because it didn't cost them anything. That's the theory anyway. I obviously have not put it to the test yet.

I'd give examples I know of but it would give away exactly what I'm having built. I'd look for other examples now but I'm on a connection that does not allow me to see paid apps. Horrible working environment but it's one of the many things I deal with out here. Time to get my VPN sorted.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Just a thought, I could be wrong, but from what I have learned about apps I think it would be better to implement ads on an Android app. Reason being, Android users are less likely to pay for apps. That is actually why I went with an iPhone app. There are many more Android users than iPhone but iPhone users are more willing to spend money with apps. My app is actually a free app with in-app purchases.

Just a thought. Subscribed for future updates though. Good luck!

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009
Funnel users of your free apps to paid ones and if it's an app that gets a lot of uses or users on for a decent amount of time you can monetize with ads.

I've checked a lot of apps with free and paid versions and it seems that ~1% conversion is the norm....

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Android apps largest profits are in IAP's, not ads or paid apps

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Android apps largest profits are in IAP's, not ads or paid apps
Thanks for sharing that.

Do you have any link where they talk about this?

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009
Thanks for sharing that.

I've read this a few days ago, you just go to the top grossing apps and you'll see most of them are free with IAPs...
Right now I see 16 apps with IAPs on the Top 24...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/topgrossing

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2012/05/in-app-subscriptions-in-google-play.html

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I've read this a few days ago, you just go to the top grossing apps and you'll see most of them are free with IAPs...
Right now I see 16 apps with IAPs on the Top 24...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/topgrossing

In-app Subscriptions in Google Play | Android Developers Blog

I watch the top grossing on the iphone daily, if you look at the popular IAP for a particular app the prices can be stunning. Usually they are under $20 but I've seen $50 and $100 IAP before. Flurry did some research and the average IAP was $14. Also, users who buy in-app are 54% more likely to buy again.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Just a thought, I could be wrong, but from what I have learned about apps I think it would be better to implement ads on an Android app. Reason being, Android users are less likely to pay for apps. That is actually why I went with an iPhone app. There are many more Android users than iPhone but iPhone users are more willing to spend money with apps. My app is actually a free app with in-app purchases.

Just a thought. Subscribed for future updates though. Good luck!
Apple does sell more apps than Android but I don't like Apple products or the way the market is structured. Android is a bit more open. If Apple doesn't like your app they're not going to allow it on the market and you just wasted your time / money. We'll use a flashlight app as an example. If I build a flashlight app and upload it to Apple it will get denied because in their mind they already have too many flashlight apps on the market. No go.

When it comes to paid vs ads - Ads just aren't going to work on some apps. Tool apps are not going to generate ad revenue like an addictive game will. If someone opens up a flashlight app every 2 weeks for 15 seconds you ad revenue is going to slim to none.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Thanks for sharing that.

I read it a week or so ago so I don't have the exact article, sorry about that

Apple does sell more apps than Android but I don't like Apple products or the way the market is structured. Android is a bit more open. If Apple doesn't like your app they're not going to allow it on the market and you just wasted your time / money. We'll use a flashlight app as an example. If I build a flashlight app and upload it to Apple it will get denied because in their mind they already have too many flashlight apps on the market. No go.

When it comes to paid vs ads - Ads just aren't going to work on some apps. Tool apps are not going to generate ad revenue like an addictive game will. If someone opens up a flashlight app every 2 weeks for 15 seconds you ad revenue is going to slim to none.

I agree that Apple is a bully and iOS doesn't allow for as much "manipulation" of the phone, I think it all depends on the type of app, if it is a game with IAP, I would go android, if it was a .99 game, I would go with iPhone, if it was an app that required more phone function integration, android and so on

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I set up my developer/publisher and merchant account. Still undecided about the name I'm going to release apps under.

There's a one time fee of $25 to publish apps on the Android market(Google Play)

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Thanks..but I'm no longer in the service. I'm a Contractor.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Keep in mind that users can easily get a refund from Google play, on my app I use that as the "trial", I mean really, it is cheaper than anything at Starbuck's, if that amount of money is important, ask for a refund. With android apps you need to stay up with the SDK kit releases as the new phones don't always support the older SDK. Don't stress about the ratings, but you do have to develop a funnel to get users to your app, just hoping they search for the right thing on the app store doesn't lead to good results.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I believe the refund was changed to 15 minutes. Not very long. I'll offer up a refund regardless. I agree with you on the funnel. Long term I would like to have a combination or paid and free apps feeding each other but for now I'll worry about getting this one in front of as many eyeballs as I can and of course making it as good as it can be.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I started a contest with 99Designs to get my icon created. Contest cost $149 and designers enter the contest with submissions. Once they submit their designs you can rate them and leave feedback. I don't think there's a max amount of submissions a designer can do so they can submit new designs off of your feedback.

It's going pretty well so far. I have 21 entries.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I started a contest with 99Designs to get my icon created
I love to read about your progress.

You can share your contest's link here and get people's input and feedback, if you want (many others have done that here)

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Thanks! I thought about posting the contest here but then held back. Since you asked

Icon or button contest | Jake needs a new icon or button design | 99designs

The more opinions the better. For some reason I put a rush on the contest. 3 days..I wish I would of let it run for the 7. I don't need the icon just yet so I'm not sure what I was thinking

Edit: just looked at getting it extended

Extend by 1 day - ($60)
Extend by 2 days - ($120)
Extend by 3 days - ($180)
Extend by 4 days - ($240)
Extend by 5 days - ($300)
Extend by 6 days - ($360)
Extend by 7 days - ($420)
Extend by 8 days - ($480)
Extend by 9 days - ($540)
Extend by 10 days - ($600)
Extend by 11 days - ($660)

No, thanks. I paid extra for the shorted contest and now I'd have to pay more to extend it :smx4:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Thanks for the feedback. My wife just said the same thing a few minutes ago. I'm leaning towards 13 or 6 but I think that both of them could use a minor tweak or two.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I like the ones without Android buddy in them so you can expand to other platforms if the need arises

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Thanks guys! I'm hoping a few more submissions come in. Tough decisions

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Some more entries have been added if you want to take another look. 50 and 44 are sitting at the top of my list.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.