The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bridge burned and lesson learned.

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
694cc63cc5a43e5ce472dfbb93ff86be.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Maybe your father is having a hard time too, and he just kind of blew up? Parents are people too man, they have emotions, hopes, doubts etc. etc.

I'm sure there's more to this than him not believing in your ambitions. Sometimes when you have a dysfunctional relationship with someone, everything you do can be contested.

I don't know much about your history with him, but take time to really think about it. Your dad could be there for you at times when it seems like no one else is.

marklov

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Maybe your father is having a hard time too, and he just kind of blew up? Parents are people too man, they have emotions, hopes, doubts etc. etc.

I'm sure there's more to this than him not believing in your ambitions. Sometimes when you have a dysfunctional relationship with someone, everything you do can be contested.

I don't know much about your history with him, but take time to really think about it. Your dad could be there for you at times when it seems like no one else is.

God knows I have tried man...

Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
If he's not willing to change his ways, you can't really help it. Ever heard of the movie Like Stars On Earth? It's an Indian movie. The way you described your dad, he reminds me a bit of the father in that movie.

I think the main issue here is that you have a strained relationship with your father. I know many people who are very distant from their parents, and I can feel their pain. You have to understand it's not your fault, and there isn't something inheritantly wrong with you that makes him distant. It's his shortcomings that are leading to the strained relationship. A parent should always try to be close with their child.
All you can do, as hard as it is, is be yourself, and do your own thing. Don't seek his approval, because you probably won't get it and just cause yourself more grief. You might have to distance yourself, but don't be rude or unnecessarily cold. Be welcoming to any attempts he makes to be friendly with you, but just don't expect all sunshine and rainbows yet.

There' a a story about a father with three kids on a subway. The kids are making a ton of noise, and the father isn't stopping them. A fellow passenger get's annoyed and tells the father: "could you make your kids behave? There's other people on this train too!"
The father replied, "I'm sorry, we're just coming back from their mothers funeral. I didn't want to be strict with them right now."

The moral is to never really know what someone else is going through.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
You're being a drama queen.

Your dad might not understand what you're doing, but he's kept a roof over your head, and food in your belly. So he does know something.

You're not over it, but you need to get over it, or pack up and move out before the bridge is actually burned.

I had to move out when I was a 20YO genius, I was amazed how smart dad had become just a couple of years later. ;)

marklov

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Its funny how a post looks so different when read the next day.

I just wish he was there more in my life in the past , what can I do.....

The past is is the past I even regret posting so much of a personal rant but I felt very betrayed and let down yesterday.

Things haven't improved between me and him but I will keep interactions friendly.

"Don't repay evil with evil or insult with insult" is what i'll do.

Thanks guys I really do appreciate it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.