The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Breaking the golden handcuffs

EasyRider

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 26, 2019
Hello forum,

I'm 28 years old, and I work in Silicon Valley as a software engineer. I've been doing quite well in my career, including financially, and I could probably stick to it for another 10-15 years and retire comfortably.
However, I have several reasons to start a SaaS business:
1) Hedging bets. Software engineering is a lucrative career right now, but things may change (for example if there's another dotcom bust).
2) Learning a new skillset. Entrepreneurship will force me to step outside of my comfort zone and learn about marketing, sales, etc.
3) Fun. I've always found building stuff from scratch immensely satisfying. It's much more fulfilling than adding features to an already successful product.

I have built and deployed my first service, and it has a grand total of 20 users, out of whom maybe 2-3 even use the product :) So, obviously, I have a lot to learn about the non-technical aspects of the game.

On this forum, I'm looking for knowledge and accountability. And I hope to be able to give back and contribute from my experience.

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you're operating from a position of strength. Nice to place to be.

I have built and deployed my first service, and it has a grand total of 20 users, out of whom maybe 2-3 even use the product :) So, obviously, I have a lot to learn about the non-technical aspects of the game.

What makes this different than available options? What's the value skew that compels users?

EasyRider

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 26, 2019
What makes this different than available options? What's the value skew that compels users?
It is designed as a lightweight alternative to cheap flight monitoring services like Scott's Cheap Flights, AirfareWatchdog, etc. The main advantage of trxFares is that instead of giving the user a vague guidance ("you can buy tickets to London for $300 for some dates, now go search for them"), it gives them direct search/booking links. Also, instead of spamming the user with all flight deals, it allows to select preferred routes and dates to monitor.
I think my problem is I haven't put enough effort into marketing the service, putting it in front of many users, and getting feedback instead of operating on assumptions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...