The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Brainstorming: Webmusic stock market

gebbers

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 8, 2007
So I hope this is the right section for this one.
I'm starting my business plan and wanted some feedback.

This is just an idea, not real jet, no details jet.^^

I few month ago I opend Itunes and listen to some of my older tracks.
I love searching for new artists and music.
So I noticed that some of my older songs are really big now (Peter Bjorn And John if you know them ^^)
Than I start betting with a friend which artist will be the next "star"!
This was really fun, so from that day I have this idea of making a stock market for music.
I hope you know what I mean. I'll post some more details and ideas later, but I need to do some stuff for school now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
It sounds more like gambling than stock market which hints at "investing.

But if you want to develop it, I will take on the project.

Tom
www.aptohosting.com

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It sounds like a great idea ... but with many ideas, the devil is in the details ... or in business terms, the execution plan. I can see something like this being a big hit, assuming that execution plan is nailed down. Please let us know your progress!

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
It's a cool idea. Reminds me of Blog Shares (a stock market for blogs: http://blogshares.com/ ) which seems to be a lot more popular than I would expect. I'm an avid stock trader and an avid blogger and I don't really find it interesting...but that's just me.

How about, rather than a stock market, a Digg type site for music?

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I know sites that have taken this approach to sports have done well. You pick a team or player if you think they will play well in the future and purchase the stock. They also did something with individual games. I know one guy sold a sports stock market site for over a million dollars and that was probably around the year 2000. Anyways, I think it is something that could work but like MJ said....the devil is in the details.

gebbers

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 8, 2007
Thank you guys...even I'm drunk right now because of my birthday it's still very motivating!

gebbers

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 8, 2007
UPs^^ Thank you all, I'll try to make a small business plan.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Interesting idea. I've used one of those sites Luke wrote about for the Sports "Investing". I found it quite fun and interesting.

One recommendation I'd have is to try and make it more of a "need" for people. If it's just something they come across and find interesting, they'll join up, try it out, and probably leave after a short period of time once they get bored of it. Try to provide something for them, whether they be rewards/prizes or anything else that will keep them coming back.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Just to add to your idea, I've seen websites based on the idea that if multiple people join together with a little fee they could own a football/soccer team and become the owners and make the decisions.

Similar to these is a website where people donate to help music bands record at a studio and promote the album. Then the profits can go back to the people.

Links:

http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk/

http://www.sellaband.com/

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
You could exchange links and banners with the companies who are already doing this in other markets (sports, celebrities, ect.) It would be a great way to get the name out a targeted group. I know when I signed up for scout.com membership for my favorite school's website, I also got a year free issues of Sports Illustrated and a $15 dollar gift certificate to a college sports simulation website. You might think they are competitors but they could end up being your PARTNERS! Hope this helps you get to thinking some about the idea you have going....The idea has potential!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.