The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Book about recovering from business failure?

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
I have a good friend that just closed the doors on her business yesterday. She is down and we've been talking quite a bit about what worked and what didn't.

I'd like to get her a book that tells the story of a businessman or woman who failed at a business, but later took what they learned and started anopther successful business.

Can anyone recommend a good book?

Thanks,
Sid23 (formerly SeanS)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I just started reading the E myth, by Michael Gerber,and it's beginning with a story about a woman with a bakery. Not sure if it fits the bill....only a few pages into it, awesome book though. Thanks to everyone else that recommended it!

Andrew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 8, 2007
How about MJ's story?

I don't think you need a book about this, lots and lots of entrepreneurs have had numerous failures both before and after their initial successes.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I don't have an idea about a book, more like an approach.

What is really tough is realizing that FAILURE is a part of SUCCESS. And, it is OKAY to fail.

This is a big mental shift. But hearing about other people's stories would be a great way to go. ALL those 'successful' people out there have had failures. Read about them!

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Storms of Perfection by Andy Andrews

It's more of a collections of vignettes (letters, actually) by successful / famous people who describe some of their toughest failures (storms) on the way up. I think he has compiled 3 such books now.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Maybe a book is not appropriate here. Have her join this forum!!!

She's just found one way that did not work in business. How many more times is she prepared to fail in order to succeed? The answer should be, "as many as it takes!". It is quite simple, but NOT easy. That's is why not everyone is doing it. If you can't make real mistakes, you will never learn the lesson. Confront the fear of failure and learn to make more mistakes, sooner, to recognize error and grow from it.

Trust me, it isn't as bad as you think. And you don't HAVE to stay where you are.

slim_jim

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 31, 2008
Columbus, OH
I agree with wildambitions......

"Thomas Edison failed more than 1,000 times when trying to create the light bulb". (The story is often told as 5,000 or 10,000 times depending on the version.) When asked about it, Edison allegedly said, "I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."

Last edited:

Legacy Dad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 3, 2007
Worldwide, depending on the month.
Falling Forward by John C.Maxwell

from amazon review...

"The major difference between achieving people and average people is their perception of and response to failure. John C. Maxwell covers the top reasons people fail and shows how to master fear instead of being mastered by it. Listeners will discover that positive benefits can accompany negative experiences-if you have the right attitude. Chock full of action suggestions and real-life stories, Failing Forward will help men and women move beyond mistakes to fulfill their potential and achieve success."

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Here's how I'm looking at entrepreneurship. If nine out of ten businesses fail, then I only have to try ten times before I should go back to the 9-5. LOI.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.