The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Blockchain Dev a good idea for a complete beginner?

Idea threads

CJW

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Apr 29, 2020
Ireland
Came across a post by Alex Becker (annoying YT ads about dropshipping a few years ago, now selling high ticket ad tracking and showing other people how to make annoying YT ads… plus shilling NFTs).

How right is he in his last sentence here?

And to those who know about coding/dev:
- How would you recommend a total novice with no coding experience and little crypto knowledge go about becoming a “blockchain dev”?
- Is it worthwhile in your opinion?

“Not investing or playing in the NFT crypto game is fine. Being an entrepreneur and not deeply understanding the biggest BUSINESS opportunity boom of the last 20 years is not fine.
The opportunity in SaaS and Services is literally insane. Don't even get into gaming and finance. You could literally learn to be a blockchain dev, not even START a business and make millions.”

When asked how he suggested:

“Like any dev, just start making stuff and taking any class you can. I am by no means a experienced game dev, but I can write pretty complex games in C# after only 45 days experience. At that level this would be enough to get a multi 6 figure opportunity in crypto if it was blockchain focused, demand is insane.”

Is that true? You just need C# and blockchain interest?

Other people on the thread (I can read but not join in) suggested a few things, but my “scam course” spidy sensor is blinking at some of them:
- dapp University bootcamp
- cyptozombies (dot io?)... looks like free, make a nft game/token with coding type thing
- Learn RUST and Solana Dev

Someone else asked the question: “You think learning to be a block chain Dev right now would be not only possible but massively profitable? Even from a complete dev beginner?”

I guess that’s my real question. I did a little (real little) html years ago, so I think I could probably learn if I put my mind to it

Someone else replied to them:
“you need to have mad skills. People are already competing big time on prices. One blockchain dev quoted me 5 ETH to set up a minting process, next one dropped to 2 ETH. Final guy quoted me just $1000 and on Fiverr they ask $100-250 for a smart contract.”

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
First, its a job.
Second, to turn it into business you need product (or service).
Third, blockchain can be fad and fizzle out.

If you want learning experience, go ahead.
Programming blockchains will teach you also to program other stuff.
While learning focus on the second one from above three.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Came across a post by Alex Becker (annoying YT ads about dropshipping a few years ago, now selling high ticket ad tracking and showing other people how to make annoying YT ads… plus shilling NFTs).

How right is he in his last sentence here?

And to those who know about coding/dev:
- How would you recommend a total novice with no coding experience and little crypto knowledge go about becoming a “blockchain dev”?
- Is it worthwhile in your opinion?

“Not investing or playing in the NFT crypto game is fine. Being an entrepreneur and not deeply understanding the biggest BUSINESS opportunity boom of the last 20 years is not fine.
The opportunity in SaaS and Services is literally insane. Don't even get into gaming and finance. You could literally learn to be a blockchain dev, not even START a business and make millions.”

When asked how he suggested:

“Like any dev, just start making stuff and taking any class you can. I am by no means a experienced game dev, but I can write pretty complex games in C# after only 45 days experience. At that level this would be enough to get a multi 6 figure opportunity in crypto if it was blockchain focused, demand is insane.”

Is that true? You just need C# and blockchain interest?

Other people on the thread (I can read but not join in) suggested a few things, but my “scam course” spidy sensor is blinking at some of them:
- dapp University bootcamp
- cyptozombies (dot io?)... looks like free, make a nft game/token with coding type thing
- Learn RUST and Solana Dev

Someone else asked the question: “You think learning to be a block chain Dev right now would be not only possible but massively profitable? Even from a complete dev beginner?”

I guess that’s my real question. I did a little (real little) html years ago, so I think I could probably learn if I put my mind to it

Someone else replied to them:
“you need to have mad skills. People are already competing big time on prices. One blockchain dev quoted me 5 ETH to set up a minting process, next one dropped to 2 ETH. Final guy quoted me just $1000 and on Fiverr they ask $100-250 for a smart contract.”

Thanks

Massive massive potential. If you're interested, take a dive and you'll never need to look back. Example of potential: smart contract audits requests are today being placed in >2 year queues. You can make $40,000 a month just auditing smart contracts.

If you want to get educated, don't go for second-hand information. All these courses and gurus take their own understanding and teach it as gospel.

If you really want to learn, go on the official documentation of the technology and break it down. For example, the official ethereum documentation is stellar, and will get you up and running faster than any guru course.

One of the guys with skin in the game is Nader Dabit, is an engineer at The Graph Protocol. He's a great resource for building using a modern and efficient blockchain development stack. He is full of useful tutorials and github repos you can fork to get started immediately, but again...

Avoid the linear approach. What people teach today is the information they learned before. This space moves at lightning speed, do not waste your time learning about it from what other people think about it. Just dig thru the SDK and rig it together, one step at a time, with what's happening TODAY.

No better way to learn this stuff than to employ the "user manual" of the technology itself and get started. Also dismiss anybody that tells you you need XYZ BEFORE you can be a blockchain dev. You can start as a complete beginner and learn quickly - all you need is an open mind and patience.

Last edited:

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Here's a mental model to help you out:"

Front-end: rigging together the appearance and organization of information on your dApp. Best tool for this today is React, which is a framework built using JS.

Back-end: rigging together the user interactions to the blockchain.

Your client uses your dApp, interacts with your front-end, and the submission of information/requests is handled by a series of smart-contracts that interact with the blockchain.

There is a lot of tooling and scaffolds that rig React+Blockchains together. Start with the official ETH documentation and read thru it. Do not go looking for Udemy courses or Youtube instructions - simply follow the SDK documentation and every single thing you do not understand, look up and understand, and then move forward.

Won't take you long to get up and running.

All the best, and congrats for having the courage to take this leap forward!

AnasHarn

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 1, 2021
France
Hello everyone,

This post is really interesting since I think that the time where we are now regarding blockchain is like the begining of internet in 199x.

I also consider learning to dev (almost no experience, just one course on python but I forgot everything....) since being able to code and dev blockchain app can be the best way to create new products and test MVPs in the market.

The paths I found on internet were about JS and then the language for the blockchain I'm interested in ( Etherium right now, but I think expensive gas fees are a real problem).

Are these the good basics to start this path ?

(btw CryptoZombies is well known and recognized, but it focus on NFTs)

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
You could very well dev for a startup, get equity as part of your compensation package, and cash out a (multi) millionaire once they get bought and/or have an IPO.

If you want to become a blockchain dev, then get to it. Make some ERC20 tokens that do something you think is cool, and go from there.

Blockchain devs that understand cybersecurity especially are in high demand.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.