The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

big fish aquarium

Nick perry01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 6, 2020
Bates City, Missouri
Hello, and I am starting out the hobby of fish-keeping

I really fell its important to tak about long-term plans(esspically in entreprenuership)and I want to ask a future related question. If any of you are fish-finatics like me, whats your biggest aquarium you have or plan to have in the future? I just watched a youtube video where there was 90,000 g worth of fish tanks, and I dunno bout you, but that inspired me to have a tank with thousands of gallons of water in it, mabye 100,000. It would be hard work with the maintenience and stuff, but II believe I can do it, and.....you dont know until you try

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello, and I am starting out the hobby of fish-keeping

I really fell its important to tak about long-term plans(esspically in entreprenuership)and I want to ask a future related question. If any of you are fish-finatics like me, whats your biggest aquarium you have or plan to have in the future? I just watched a youtube video where there was 90,000 g worth of fish tanks, and I dunno bout you, but that inspired me to have a tank with thousands of gallons of water in it, mabye 100,000. It would be hard work with the maintenience and stuff, but II believe I can do it, and.....you dont know until you try

Back in the day I had a 125g reef tank. That was my biggest single tank.

I had a 6000g koi pond in my backyard.

What most people don't realize are the monthly expenses in water, electricity and amount of time spent doing just general maintenance.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas

What most people don't realize are the monthly expenses in water, electricity and amount of time spent doing just general maintenance.
My fiancé and I joke around that we’ll one day get a RGB lit, two story jellyfish tank.

Nick perry01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 6, 2020
Bates City, Missouri

I know, and lthough I cant calculate the water and feeding and tank stuff expenses, I'm detemined my make a name out of myself i the fish world and contiunsly learn and grow my knowledge

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I know, and lthough I cant calculate the water and feeding and tank stuff expenses, I'm detemined my make a name out of myself i the fish world and contiunsly learn and grow my knowledge

If I didn't travel as much as I did, I would be starting a youtube channel on fish tanks.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

I plan to have this aquarium in my home when I build it years from now.

By the way, if anyone here wants to build their own tank, let me know. We import a lot of low iron glass all the time.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Back in the waterbed days I always wanted a fish tank on the sides and foot of the bed. I just thought it would be cool..... and then waterbeds went out of style...... but I still think it would be cool!

NovaAria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 18, 2018
I personally judge a man by the size of his aquarium.

Jokes aside, I have been reading lately a book on shrimpkeeping and I am very tempted to start a small operation just as a test run.
The book made it sounds rather easy, and I recon that shrimps are the next step for aquarium enthusiasts.

Nick perry01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 6, 2020
Bates City, Missouri
I personally judge a man by the size of his aquarium.

Jokes aside, I have been reading lately a book on shrimpkeeping and I am very tempted to start a small operation just as a test run.
The book made it sounds rather easy, and I recon that shrimps are the next step for aquarium enthusiasts.
LUL, if that's the case, I can't wait for you to see my 100,000 gallon tank in the future. In fact, I'm pretty sure sure 100,000 gallons is like an average tank size for a real aquarium building

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
My wife wanted an aquarium so we got a 36 gallon freshwater tank. I’m not a fanatic or anything so I’m not super into it.

The biggest thing for me is the noise. The constant noise of the filter running and the splashing trickle of the water. Every few weeks we have to fill it with water as it evaporates. It helps with the noise since the water doesn’t fall as far but it’s still constant noise. Then the filters clog up and have to change filters. I’ve had a few times where we didn’t change the filter early enough and the water overflowed and was dripping on the floor behind the tank. Luckily, I caught it early enough to not be a terrible mess.

So anyway, my point is just to give you another perspective on something to think about.

Nick perry01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 6, 2020
Bates City, Missouri
My wife wanted an aquarium so we got a 36 gallon freshwater tank. I’m not a fanatic or anything so I’m not super into it.

The biggest thing for me is the noise. The constant noise of the filter running and the splashing trickle of the water. Every few weeks we have to fill it with water as it evaporates. It helps with the noise since the water doesn’t fall as far but it’s still constant noise. Then the filters clog up and have to change filters. I’ve had a few times where we didn’t change the filter early enough and the water overflowed and was dripping on the floor behind the tank. Luckily, I caught it early enough to not be a terrible mess.

So anyway, my point is just to give you another perspective on something to think about.
It's sound like you had a H.O.B filter, and although I have no expiernce with those(since I only had a sponge filter) I have watched some videos about H.O.B.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Those filters shouldn’t be making any noise. You should barely hear that motor. Get another one.

Also you need to be doing water changes. If all you do is top off the water, the nitrates got to be pretty high in your tank.

WabiSabi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 2, 2019
Katy, Texas
If your going to get super serious about fish keeping expect to spend a lot of time and money. 1k-ish for something really nice.

I know some guys inspired by Takashi Amano who run an installation/maintenance in Houston. If you want to get good it pays to learn the science behind why fishtanks act the way they do. Alot of the info out there is bogus and wrong, look at the best people and copy what they do.

Dennis Wong, Takashi Amano - Freshwater
BRS 52 weeks of reefing - Saltwater

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Is there Uber for tank maintenance?

Most cities have aquarium service companies that come and take care of your tank once a week, or check on them when you are traveling.

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
This is a hobby I'm looking at getting back into, although on a pretty small scale. We're getting a tank built into the wall of our new home but it will only be around 215ltrs (50gal). Thinking I'll probably do a Cichlid tank.

Nick perry01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 6, 2020
Bates City, Missouri
Those filters shouldn’t be making any noise. You should barely hear that motor. Get another one.

Also you need to be doing water changes. If all you do is top off the water, the nitrates got to be pretty high in your tank.
i was thinking that too

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.