The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best way to find a partner?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
Besides joining a mastermind group.....Is there a way you currently use or recommend trying to find a quality partner for a business start up you are looking at launching?

Seems forum posting and craigslist have only resulted young inexperienced people looking for free money contacting me.

There must be a better way to find a quality person you would even consider a JV in the first place without weeding through 99% of the illiterate moochers looking to scam a quick fast buck?

How have you done it when you needed to?

=-)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
You found him! What do I do?

But seriously, I try to avoid partners until my business is successfully running.. I don't really like the idea of bringing someone I don't know that much and making them a partner in my business. However, my best friend and I are launching our supplement company in a few weeks! But I have known him for quite a while now.

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
cofounderslab.com, r/startups and r/jointventures (more risky but I found mine there), uhhmm founder2be.com is ok but I wouldn't use it again...maybe even this forum.

Good luck!

David P

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Sep 27, 2014
Besides joining a mastermind group.....Is there a way you currently use or recommend trying to find a quality partner for a business start up you are looking at launching?

Seems forum posting and craigslist have only resulted young inexperienced people looking for free money contacting me.

There must be a better way to find a quality person you would even consider a JV in the first place without weeding through 99% of the illiterate moochers looking to scam a quick fast buck?

How have you done it when you needed to?

=-)
All depends where you are.....

This has been launched, and is growing, check it out :

http://partnerhunt.com/

Good luck.

D

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I don't partner.

If you are weak in an area, fix it.

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK
Partners are an excuse not to do/learn something yourself. I wasted so much time hoping my partner would come up with ideas. Then I dumped the partner idea and went it alone.
Microsoft. Apple. Google. Facebook. Standard oil. All had partners. You chose poorly my friend. That's on you. Try not to generalize.

YCW

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Oct 7, 2014
Hong Kong
When starting a business, having a partner(s) is normally used to fulfil a couple of requirements:

1) Funding
2) Knowledge/Experience

Whilst this can be good to provide momentum to the business, as I've found out (and what most companies find out, including the ones mentioned by Michael W. above), partnership is 100% guaranteed to provide conflict between partners as the journey progresses. What you may agree on now, once you have a taste of power and demand more control (i.e more power), agreements shatter and your own self-interest takes precedence.

Human beings are selfish; it's human nature and a fact of life.

Whilst I recommend not going into partnership and to only rely on yourself (I'm a control freak, and I will not stop until I control 100% of what is controllable within my business), I do understand that this may be near-impossible for some and it may be more beneficial to start with a partner.

You just need remember though; No matter how you look at at, you are giving your partner control over your business (and therefore control over you), which means he also has control over your dream. Make sure to weigh the pros & cons before jumping into a partnership.

P.S There is only 1 person in this world that has control over me, and that's my wife... :(

katly007

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Sep 17, 2011
Hawaii
The few partners I've had were found at places like business networking meetings, tech conferences, startup weekend, business/internet marketing meetup, toastmasters, business volunteer events, etc. You just have to get out there and start working on your business and move towards your goals, then you will meet people along the way.

The partners that I had to seriously convince or beg to join didn't work out that well. They weren't pulling their weight and weren't that motivated or interested in seeing the project be successful. I wish I never got them in the first place.

The ones that were excited and enthusiastic about joining and being my partner and the ones that took the initiative to ask to be involved kept their word and did what they say they would do. Even though some of those projects still failed, I had a good overall experience and am glad I worked with them on it.

So if someone is lukewarm, don't try to push or chase them. It might not be worth it.

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK
When starting a business, having a partner(s) is normally used to fulfil a couple of requirements:

1) Funding
2) Knowledge/Experience

Whilst this can be good to provide momentum to the business, as I've found out (and what most companies find out, including the ones mentioned by Michael W. above), partnership is 100% guaranteed to provide conflict between partners as the journey progresses. What you may agree on now, once you have a taste of power and demand more control (i.e more power), agreements shatter and your own self-interest takes precedence.

Human beings are selfish; it's human nature and a fact of life.

Whilst I recommend not going into partnership and to only rely on yourself (I'm a control freak, and I will not stop until I control 100% of what is controllable within my business), I do understand that this may be near-impossible for some and it may be more beneficial to start with a partner.

You just need remember though; No matter how you look at at, you are giving your partner control over your business (and therefore control over you), which means he also has control over your dream. Make sure to weigh the pros & cons before jumping into a partnership.

P.S There is only 1 person in this world that has control over me, and that's my wife... :(

By the time they figured that out, they were all rich as F*ck. They weren't crying on a forum about not picking up their weight because they didn't sell an item on Amazon. Like I've alluded to in the past, your character determines what money will do to you. If your a controlling a**hole, your gonna be a bigger a**hole.

YCW

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Oct 7, 2014
Hong Kong
As I mentioned, the main reason for wanting a partner is because you are lacking something.

Fix what you lack and you won't need a partner.

Being in control doesn't mean you need to be an arsehole.

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK
As I mentioned, the main reason for wanting a partner is because you are lacking something.

Fix what you lack and you won't need a partner.

Being in control doesn't mean you need to be an arsehole.

Or just either outsource it, or give equity because most entrepreneurs don't have time to or the ability to fix their weakness once an opportunity presents itself.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
I guess ultimately I dont need a "partner"... I just need to find someone I can pay for advice that I can trust due to their previous experience...

thats more of a correct statement.... just finding that "consigliere" has been anything but easy. Only people with no proven results or experience are the ones offering their opinions and asking to be paid...LOL

You know how you pay a lawyer for legal advice??... well I need to pay a business consultant, marketer for business marketing advice.. =-)

Everything else.. I'm good

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.