The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best Advice For Buying a Business?

Survivalist

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 16, 2019
Hi all,

I was thinking of buying a business. I was already going through some businesses for sale this morning. I've talked with my accountant about it also.

He was telling me that if you buy a business in the construction but you don't have the knowledge you're going to fail (for instance you can't read a plan or have any experience with construction itself).

Well anyway it seems i'm doubting myself now on the possibilities . Any ideas or advice i could get on this? Are there also any good sources on buying businesses?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
What draws you to construction? How much do you know about the construction industry? @steelandchrome

Given your name, I'd hope a thing or two!

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
What draws you to construction? How much do you know about the construction industry? @steelandchrome

Given your name, I'd hope a thing or two!
A ton, I've built homes from the ground up and have sold construction products for almost 20 years. I mentioned that specifically since the OP referenced it in his post.

payingkarma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Sep 16, 2019
Hi all,

I was thinking of buying a business. I was already going through some businesses for sale this morning. I've talked with my accountant about it also.

He was telling me that if you buy a business in the construction but you don't have the knowledge you're going to fail (for instance you can't read a plan or have any experience with construction itself).

Well anyway it seems i'm doubting myself now on the possibilities . Any ideas or advice i could get on this? Are there also any good sources on buying businesses?
Well, I'm in the same position.

Was an IT programmer -->business analyst --> Financial Analyst --> quit 9-5 and started looking for small biz to buy...

Now I'm working on a specialty construction business deal. 99.9% I will close on that unless anything crazy happens.

The trade I chose is specialty and I'm going to learn with the current owner over 3 months transition.

A lot of the trade with the construction niche isn't rocket science. You can and will learn it in less than 3 months.

But take your situation as an advantage. Since you don't know, you will pick something that is easily learnable... yet you will have to find employees to do it for you. Which makes you better 90% of your competition just out of the gate.

why? B'coz you will find and have to use the right employees and that will let you work on the business rather than in the business.

Of course, if you want to buy an architect's biz, that would be crazy. However, a lot of niches are easy.. trust me on this.

Go moonlight with the trade you're planning to buy and you will know what I'm talking.

simple trades would be painting, carpet install etc.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
A ton, I've built homes from the ground up and have sold construction products for almost 20 years. I mentioned that specifically since the OP referenced it in his post.

Sounds like a business in the construction industry is right up your alley then!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.