The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • It's back! As an INSIDER you can now SORT any thread by LIKES. See this post for more info.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

Best Advice For Buying a Business?

Survivalist

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Sep 16, 2019
Hi all,

I was thinking of buying a business. I was already going through some businesses for sale this morning. I've talked with my accountant about it also.

He was telling me that if you buy a business in the construction but you don't have the knowledge you're going to fail (for instance you can't read a plan or have any experience with construction itself).

Well anyway it seems i'm doubting myself now on the possibilities . Any ideas or advice i could get on this? Are there also any good sources on buying businesses?

broswoodwork

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 16, 2015
You have seen this one, right?

It's the talk of the town!

Tourmaline

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
What draws you to construction? How much do you know about the construction industry? @steelandchrome

Given your name, I'd hope a thing or two!

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
What draws you to construction? How much do you know about the construction industry? @steelandchrome

Given your name, I'd hope a thing or two!
A ton, I've built homes from the ground up and have sold construction products for almost 20 years. I mentioned that specifically since the OP referenced it in his post.

MHP368

the man, the myth, the Pseudo-Apollodorus
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Ever hear of the "best business podcast"?

payingkarma

Contributor
Sep 16, 2019
Hi all,

I was thinking of buying a business. I was already going through some businesses for sale this morning. I've talked with my accountant about it also.

He was telling me that if you buy a business in the construction but you don't have the knowledge you're going to fail (for instance you can't read a plan or have any experience with construction itself).

Well anyway it seems i'm doubting myself now on the possibilities . Any ideas or advice i could get on this? Are there also any good sources on buying businesses?
Well, I'm in the same position.

Was an IT programmer -->business analyst --> Financial Analyst --> quit 9-5 and started looking for small biz to buy...

Now I'm working on a specialty construction business deal. 99.9% I will close on that unless anything crazy happens.

The trade I chose is specialty and I'm going to learn with the current owner over 3 months transition.

A lot of the trade with the construction niche isn't rocket science. You can and will learn it in less than 3 months.

But take your situation as an advantage. Since you don't know, you will pick something that is easily learnable... yet you will have to find employees to do it for you. Which makes you better 90% of your competition just out of the gate.

why? B'coz you will find and have to use the right employees and that will let you work on the business rather than in the business.

Of course, if you want to buy an architect's biz, that would be crazy. However, a lot of niches are easy.. trust me on this.

Go moonlight with the trade you're planning to buy and you will know what I'm talking.

simple trades would be painting, carpet install etc.

Tourmaline

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
A ton, I've built homes from the ground up and have sold construction products for almost 20 years. I mentioned that specifically since the OP referenced it in his post.
Sounds like a business in the construction industry is right up your alley then!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Freelance [and other] Udemy Courses
How do I pick one among so many courses? Pick the one you need most. Some just buy them all. :D
Replies
Views
Top Bottom