The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[BENCH PRESS] Does this mess up your chest in the long run?

JohnBuffet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 9, 2017
NJ
I didn't read everything, but as a non competitive bodybuilder myself, I will say I know 3 friends who tore their pecs from bench pressing. I actually ALMOST tore mine from it as well and I had to take off a few weeks from working out my chest.

I've heard coaches say that it isn't a matter of if you'll tear your pecs, its a matter of when.

I personally stick to dumbbell only. I don't do flat barbell press ever.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I'm currently doing dumbell bench presses, pressing the same weight as my bodyweight.
All is good, until I came across this pic of Scott Steiner's chest last night:

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's another pic:

hqdefault.jpg

There's this really gross and freaky abnormal gap between his pecs. I googled a bit, and many folks say it's due to tearing the pecs during bench press, and it won't heal.

Has anyone encounter anything like this before? Could benching heavy actually cause this kind of body deformity in the long run?
I'm worried I might end up like that.

Not just him, but some other folks like Kofi as well:

Kofi-Kingston.jpg

Markus Ruhl is another, but his was not as bad as the above 2 guys:

maxresdefault.jpg

Seems like the weight of the bench press is pulling away the pec muscle from the sternum gradually (see how the pec muscles attached to the sternum):

pectoralis-major-muscle.png

Don't forget that a lot of these body builders are on human growth hormones mixed with steroids. A bench press (especially dumbbell) in the range of weight you will lift, is perfectly safe and fine as long as you follow the correct form and technique.

Check out AthleanX chest workouts on Youtube.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Check out AthleanX chest workouts on Youtube.

I used to watch his videos, until it started to get longer and more technical, with him telling you all these stuff on anatomy and all the dry details etc. I lose all patience and felt extremely bored after the first 2 - 3 mins of him expounding technical and medical knowledge non-stop.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
It has already been answered before in the thread but I would just add to be careful of who you are "modelling".

If you want to have a normal great body then follow athletes with the same physic/training style. If you aren't competing in shows and don't want to be taking "performance-enhancing drugs" then you can safely ignore the downsides of people who do.

Chest/incline chest is an excellent lift for a great body and strength. I have no ideas what these guys did to get that sort of issue but it wasn't normal chest presses.

Our chest, back, and legs are so large because these are the main movements we make as humans. So working chest is 100% safe and effective for getting in shape.

So unless you are training and taking tons of drugs like these people I wouldn't even consider it an issue.
I have never seen this issue on a normal athlete.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Look, you probably aren’t going to tear a pec, especially not as bad as these guys that you showed did.

These guys were on steroids, and their muscles grew faster than their connective tissue, so they snapped their shit.

Work on slowly and consistently progressing the amount of weight you do, and you’ll be fine. Don’t try to make big jumps in weight and ego lift.

With The dumbbell bench, you’re more likely to injure your shoulder from lowering the weight below the chest.

Personally, I would just stick to the barbell bench. You can still potentially tear a pec regardless, but I prefer the barbell bench because you can do more weight and get stronger.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Interesting. I don't think it's much of an issue if you're not taking steroids/growth hormones.

My bigger concern is shoulder issues stemming from bench press...

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Literally every guy you showed is has used a ton of steroids, so not a great comparison.

On the other hand, here's Ronaldo who has never done steroids or any drugs in his life

spl1330067_001.jpg

Looks pretty good to me

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
here's Ronaldo who has never done steroids or any drugs in his life

Nearly every serious athlete uses steroids. But not all steroid users seek to become mass monsters. You can literally train harder, longer, and more often with them help of steroids.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Do you have proof of this? I come from a family of professional athletes and none of them have use steroids.

Considering steroid usage is banned from professional sports, are you actually expecting hard evidence?

Again, You can literally train harder, longer, and more often with the help of steroids. Throw in the large budgets and monetary value of many professional athletes and teams, and they can quite readily afford doctors to make monitor and control various health side effects.

Take UFC: Steroids in UFC

"almost every MMA fighter is on steroids because the fact of the matter is, you can't compete at such a high level without them."

Wait wait wait, my favorite one though is that the IFBB bans steroid usage. LMAO.

Page 39 and 40.

12. to oppose the use of banned substances and methods and to take reasonable measures to ensure that all athletes are competing drug-free.

Here's one of the 2019 winners
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOtbqlPRddA

Totally natty?

Here's an article about the NFL:

"Steroids aren't the problem. HGH is the big problem. For the past four or five years, the league has been almost overrun by HGH. ... The new testing procedures aren't catching anyone, because players know there is almost no way to get caught."

I can go on and on.

But in my view, there's nothing wrong with using steroids as a professional athlete. It's a choice, and it's wise to couple it with doctors to help the athlete stay healthy and safe.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm currently doing dumbell bench presses, pressing the same weight as my bodyweight.
All is good, until I came across this pic of Scott Steiner's chest last night:

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's another pic:

hqdefault.jpg

I promise you, Scott Steiner's chest is the least of his problems

TommyG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
450%
Dec 9, 2013
Honestly unless you're looking to max out constantly and bench 2x+ bodyweight shouldn't be an issue.

I took my bench from 165 to 315 over a couple of years without a single injury except for shoulders related to other lifts.

• Use good form
  • controlled reps
  • Use a training max and submaximal loads 70-90%
  • only test true maxes a few times a year to measure progress
  • Make sure you are balancing out pushing and pulling. Err on the side of more pulling
  • Keep joints healthy with enough mobility work

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Considering steroid usage is banned from professional sports, are you actually expecting hard evidence?

Again, You can literally train harder, longer, and more often with the help of steroids. Throw in the large budgets and monetary value of many professional athletes and teams, and they can quite readily afford doctors to make monitor and control various health side effects.

Take UFC: Steroids in UFC

Wait wait wait, my favorite one though is that the IFBB bans steroid usage. LMAO.

Page 39 and 40.

Here's one of the 2019 winners
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOtbqlPRddA

View attachment 29008

Totally natty?

Here's an article about the NFL:

I can go on and on.

But in my view, there's nothing wrong with using steroids as a professional athlete. It's a choice, and it's wise to couple it with doctors to help the athlete stay healthy and safe.
My comment was saying Ronaldo looks really good and he doesn’t use steroids. You said most athletes use steroids, implying Ronaldo obviously uses steroids to look the way he does.

Obviously many professional athletes use steroids, but just saying most of them do so you should just assume everyone does is a really lazy viewpoint.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Your experience and priorities might be different

People can save themselves a lot of time fighting when they keep this in mind with lifting weights (or anything really).

Some men lift to get laid. Some men just like doing a particular exercise. Some men lift to get better at a particular sport. Some men just declare a lifelong war on gravity and try to lift the heaviest things possible.

The important thing isn't what you do in itself, but whether what you do gets you what you want.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Question for those of you into calisthenics.

Do you guys think doing typewriter and archer pull-ups work different muscles than the normal standard pullup? I can do about 20 reps for my 1st set, was thinking if I should throw in these variations. Seems they all work the same muscles.

Pantheon Brian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
May 28, 2019
Question for those of you into calisthenics.

Do you guys think doing typewriter and archer pull-ups work different muscles than the normal standard pullup? I can do about 20 reps for my 1st set, was thinking if I should throw in these variations. Seems they all work the same muscles.

Another question for the calisthenics crowd: How do you get enough stimulation to work your lower body without the use of weights? Sets of 500 reps of body-weight squats? I imagine doing super-high reps of any exercise would be more for conditioning than strength- or muscle-building.

Thanks, and sorry for hijacking your post. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.