The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Becoming a tax preparer?

Taxes and regulation

Dream&Achieve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 24, 2015
Hey guys, I've been thinking about what I should do to get a little money to start my business. I'm currently 15 years old and don't have a job yet. The only money I have is 3 years worth of saving from birthdays and Christmases. Next summer I have two guaranteed jobs but that's awhile away, so I'm thinking of other ways to make money. My mom and I were just talking and she asked what should I learn next? She works in accounting and is very busy with her job plus raising me and my two sisters. My oldest sister is in college and soon my other one will be too next year. Leaving me at home alone with only one sport, my mom will be open to a lot more time. She said something about doing taxes for other people, lots of people hate doing their taxes but she doesn't really mind it. I asked if she could teach me, and she said she will of course. My question is should I pick up on this side job? It may not gain me tons of money, but it can be used towards my business. While typing this out, I just started thinking if you had to be 18 or so to become a tax preparer. I don't really want to delete all this, but I'd like to hear your guys' thoughts! In the mean time I'll be looking up age requirements for this job.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DrJake

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 21, 2014
Shreveport, Lousiana
Hey guys, I've been thinking about what I should do to get a little money to start my business. I'm currently 15 years old and don't have a job yet. The only money I have is 3 years worth of saving from birthdays and Christmases. Next summer I have two guaranteed jobs but that's awhile away, so I'm thinking of other ways to make money. My mom and I were just talking and she asked what should I learn next? She works in accounting and is very busy with her job plus raising me and my two sisters. My oldest sister is in college and soon my other one will be too next year. Leaving me at home alone with only one sport, my mom will be open to a lot more time. She said something about doing taxes for other people, lots of people hate doing their taxes but she doesn't really mind it. I asked if she could teach me, and she said she will of course. My question is should I pick up on this side job? It may not gain me tons of money, but it can be used towards my business. While typing this out, I just started thinking if you had to be 18 or so to become a tax preparer. I don't really want to delete all this, but I'd like to hear your guys' thoughts! In the mean time I'll be looking up age requirements for this job.

Yeah. It's possible. But it probably won't happen.

From what I know the tax code is very, VERY complicated. As in 2000 pages thick. So tax preparation isn't something you learn real quick to make a few bucks. Also, most people will probably not pay you to do their taxes, simply because it's a very delicate matter that's usually only done by liscensed professionals (unlike copywriting, photography, etc). However, if you're REALLY determined to prep taxes, it probably just depends on your salesmanship and willingness to learn.

You're gonna have a job in a few months. If you REALLY need momey, I'd reccomend:

Babysitting, dogsitting, anything with lawns, copywriting or other freelance jobs, craigslist flipping, etc.

Or, assuming you have a viable business idea, just start building. Seriously, put your nose to the grindstone. Be resourceful and start figuring stuff out. Just doing that will give you skills that'll last a lifetime.

That's just my opinion. FYI, I'm 17 y/o. We should get in touch sometime.

Dream&Achieve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 24, 2015
Yeah. It's possible. But it probably won't happen.

From what I know the tax code is very, VERY complicated. As in 2000 pages thick. So tax preparation isn't something you learn real quick to make a few bucks. Also, most people will probably not pay you to do their taxes, simply because it's a very delicate matter that's usually only done by liscensed professionals (unlike copywriting, photography, etc). However, if you're REALLY determined to prep taxes, it probably just depends on your salesmanship and willingness to learn.

You're gonna have a job in a few months. If you REALLY need momey, I'd reccomend:

Babysitting, dogsitting, anything with lawns, copywriting or other freelance jobs, craigslist flipping, etc.

Or, assuming you have a viable business idea, just start building. Seriously, put your nose to the grindstone. Be resourceful and start figuring stuff out. Just doing that will give you skills that'll last a lifetime.

That's just my opinion. FYI, I'm 17 y/o. We should get in touch sometime.
Good point about the tax code, my mom mentioned that but like I said she's good with that type of stuff and would be easier to her. Currently, I'm finding stuff around the house and putting it up on eBay. I just put up an item and the bid is already $100. I might stick with that for awhile until my jobs arrive. It's very difficult where I live to do any type of sitting, as I live in the country and the closest home with kids/dogs is several miles away from me. I'll look around my area and contact farmers for any jobs. I'm still going to watch my mom do our taxes and hopefully I'll learn a bit, I would totally take a class on it. I'm very determined when it comes to things like this. If I enjoy it, I'll continue on with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

Guest24480

I am a certified tax preparer through a volunteer organization, and I'm sure it varies by state but I believe you have to be 18 to become certified. I got hooked up with it through my university and was able to earn extra credits by participating.

The organization is the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program in case you were curious.

Dream&Achieve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 24, 2015
I am a certified tax preparer through a volunteer organization, and I'm sure it varies by state but I believe you have to be 18 to become certified. I got hooked up with it through my university and was able to earn extra credits by participating.

The organization is the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program in case you were curious.
Interesting, thanks for the info. If you do have to be 18, I'll just pick up on something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
You should do it. Maybe it has to wait and be a side job after you turn 18, but it is a job that will teach you a lot. My wife took a job preparing taxes for H&R Block for one season. She did it to get a little exposure to the business before committing to any sort of major life decision. The job itself wasn't great, but the education was well worth having. Spending some time preparing taxes will give you a crash course that isn't limited to just learning about taxes.
When you are young it's important to take jobs that give you knowledge. That's more important than dollars per hour if you ever want to escape the dollars per hour life; and you do. Tax prep will show you things that mowing lawns may not.

Dream&Achieve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 24, 2015
You should do it. Maybe it has to wait and be a side job after you turn 18, but it is a job that will teach you a lot. My wife took a job preparing taxes for H&R Block for one season. She did it to get a little exposure to the business before committing to any sort of major life decision. The job itself wasn't great, but the education was well worth having. Spending some time preparing taxes will give you a crash course that isn't limited to just learning about taxes.
When you are young it's important to take jobs that give you knowledge. That's more important than dollars per hour if you ever want to escape the dollars per hour life; and you do. Tax prep will show you things that mowing lawns may not.
I think I will take It up just as learning for now, but perhaps in the future I can use it.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
My friend was hired before he finished high school (it was accounting oriented school) at some minor job. He sticks with same company and now is senior accountant and his earnings are pretty high.

If you can learn tax/accounting at this age you might have soft cushion as a backup plan in case your business wouldn't provide you livable income.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.