The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Becoming a developer in 2022: Progress thread

Jeannen

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 9, 2020
France
That looks cool. Looks like you're using GPT-3 for this. I suggest you go public really fast and try to monetize this. Get user feedback (paying longterm-customers being the best feedback there is).

If I'm right, you might want to check user input first prior to calling the API, as I know that GPT-3 does have a restriction on sexual and harmful content. Also, you might want to have a hard restriction on the number of tokens users can use per API call.
Yes! The technical demo is done, so I could technically make a landing page, gather feedback from people I know who could use this, and then start running ads to make an email list.

I want to improve my models a bit further first, but I should be good soon, I have 5+ years of experience in marketing, so I know exactly how to train the models and some specific features I can add

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JustMorpheus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Dec 18, 2021
Why don't you learn JS if you already know CSS & HTML? Add PHP on top of it and congrats, you're a full-stack developer.
Also if you're gonna work as a developer, you'll need to move out of Indonesia because the salaries probably would be pretty low. You can try to work remote but most of the remote positions are for seniors, I haven't seen a lot of remote junior positions really. And you'd need a good portfolio for freelancing. I see you're French. Can you start a YouTube channel on coding and maybe sell courses? There's a channel called Coding Phase on YouTube. Doesn't have a lot of subs but I remember the guy saying he makes over $40k/m from his courses. He had his own website like Netflix and had bunch of courses in it. You don't have to be a senior master coder, just learn and teach what you learned as you go. 1000 students paying $10 a month is $10.000. And also the ad revenue wouldn't be so bad since France is not broke. I'm just trying to give you some ideas to make things a little more fastlane.
Very creative idea dude!

TechTexan

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Mar 15, 2020
Midland, Texas/ Kilgore, Texas
Speaking personally we'd look to hire a junior to pass on boilerplate or low-level tasks and free up Senior Dev's to meet KPI's.

This means at minimum Juniors should be able to come in with the ability to understand good coding practices, should have left tutorial hell and should be comfortable getting up to speed being able to make small commits to source with guidance from their assigned team lead (dev-ops stuff).

The reality that I see of many boot-camp style Juniors is they'd struggle to make it past the first sprint in a small scrum, and therefore many of them end up being used and abused at sweat-shops until they reach breaking point.

Code:
>How does it change being a junior vs becoming a senior ?

Reponsibility, complexity of tasks, ability to contribute in retrospective meetings and of course reducing errors are really the differences. It's not usually going to be a massive change but if you have a crunch time office style it can be stressful, and the expectations on high quality code should increase as your seniority increases.

The type of work you do depends on the company you work for and if you're developing new bleeding edge intergration or maintaining current systems etc, and thus the stress varies. The major change I'd say is the ability to think and conceptualize what you're actually doing and why you're doing it and understand concepts such as technical debt etc.

Code:
What are your predictions for the future ? Will the "bearishness" continue ? Will we have a "reset" about the hype that surrounds developer jobs ?

Job's aren't going away, and there will be a consistent need for good quality developers, the entry level is highly competitive now though and you have a lot of graduates struggling to get a decent job for months on end.

Do some people manage to bootcamp their way into jobs? Yes, but this is also slowing significantly as companies weigh up the costs and risks - similar is happening to QA testers, with a lot of testing now being done inter-discipline with developers (test as you go) as the cost of hiring additional testers isn't worth it post COVID.

Do be careful of people telling you that it's an ever-green field. COVID has meant that even more companies moved to hiring cheaper talent abroad and it's no longer possible to say that those developers are lower quality or more difficult to work with as a lot of organization has been done in these countries - meaning that you can contact agencies and get access to high quality, native c2 level speakers that produce good code for the fraction of the cost.

The bottom line is that if you study hard, produce a good portfolio then you will get a job - but the golden age has IMO gone.

What most people want to really know is - Would I recommend people to study and become a developer?

And the answer to this depends on what you think is happening in the world. Do you believe there is a forthcoming restructuring of the economy and a quasi-slavery system that you don't want to be part of?

If you do believe in this - then you need to also realize you do not have the time it would take you to develop the skills you would need to effectively compete in the market.

I would say to any young person looking to buy their freedom now - use what you have, learn enough about software and get into software sales.

Good sales guys are worth their weight in gold and are treated as such - the nice thing too is that you can take on multiple clients and build a huge network quickly, opening a lot of opportunities for travel, jobs etc when done correctly - allowing you to pivot into high scarcity fields down the road.
I can actually relate to this. Quit the oil field to pursue software engineering and I’m in my last semester. It is crazy how much I realized I do not know in spite having a 3.5+ GPA. Most classes just give basic exercises and projects. I will say the longer term projects tend to be better as they build on each other, however the exercises are usually learned in a few YouTube videos and forgotten as quickly as they were learned. Personally I realized until I get better at programming I am better fit for more data analytics roles using Excel, SQL, R, tableau, the occasional use of python. I have personally even thought to pursue software sales as a better bet while improving my dev skills to build my SaaS product.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
Why don't you learn JS if you already know CSS & HTML? Add PHP on top of it and congrats, you're a full-stack developer.
Also if you're gonna work as a developer, you'll need to move out of Indonesia because the salaries probably would be pretty low. You can try to work remote but most of the remote positions are for seniors, I haven't seen a lot of remote junior positions really. And you'd need a good portfolio for freelancing. I see you're French. Can you start a YouTube channel on coding and maybe sell courses? There's a channel called Coding Phase on YouTube. Doesn't have a lot of subs but I remember the guy saying he makes over $40k/m from his courses. He had his own website like Netflix and had bunch of courses in it. You don't have to be a senior master coder, just learn and teach what you learned as you go. 1000 students paying $10 a month is $10.000. And also the ad revenue wouldn't be so bad since France is not broke. I'm just trying to give you some ideas to make things a little more fastlane.
Damn I should try that sometime

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.