The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Beating Shiny Things Syndrome and making £££

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Believe it or not, I’ve never self reflected on my situation before. Nor have I asked why there seems to be a pattern in everything I do.

After deep thought and evaluation, I realized my problems:

1. I’m not committing to a business after launch.
  2. I’m comparing my progress to other people’s progress.

After deeper research, I found out it is called Shiny Objects Syndrome, effectively jumping from one project to the other without completing any.

I can spend a year preparing and launching a business, but then my intrest diminishes after not seeing unicorn results. This will be tackled by setting realistic goals, something I’ve never done before.

1. I’m usually high(metaphorically speaking) and infatuated while working on a project, and as soon as I launch and things go sideways, I quit and on to the next shiny idea I go.

I’ve been doing this self vicious cycle for 4 years now. It’s time I stop.

I’ve been working on a project for almost two years carefully planning everything and the minute it went live and I only had two sales, I lost my commitment because I was expecting Amazon’s revenues in my first day.

Expectations can kill dreams.

I am making an active decision, that I will completely commit to improving my business and sales, or at least keep at it for the rest of the year.

Even If things don’t go my way and I have to go back to my old job, I will continue to keep my commitment to improve it.

2. Like a lot of people, I’m being sold everyday on Instagram pictures of fake lifestyles and I’m comparing myself to the well crafted “lifestyles” of others. I cannot delete it as I will use it for my business. However, I will be mostly focusing on my business and trying to ignore the rest. I also compare other businesses in the same category with mine. Even though I understand they’re already established and have been around a while, I aspire my business to be like theirs some day but I keep comparing my day 1 with their day 1000. This must also stop.

If I can keep the commitment, by the end of the year I should have:

• a viable business that keeps growing.
  • a better understanding of committing to a project therefore improving S.o.S
  • £10k revenue/ month

If I cannot keep myself committed to seeing this through, then I deserve a dead end job which, ironically, I’d have to commit the rest of my life to.

I’m launching my business on 2.04. I’ve already generated 5k emails of potential buyers. Assuming the worst, even if I have 0 sales, I will stay commited to making it work.

(To be honest 0 sales would be a product problem which I don’t believe it is since it’s already on the market one way or another) -> before I’m hit in the head with a stone, let me say that I’m differentiating by offering better pricing, longer warranties and better customer service. I won’t be doing any other projects for the rest of my “challenge”

With that being said, Let the commitment games begin.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
At least you have identified your 'problem' and therefore can nip it in the bud when you feel it rising again.

Good Luck with whatever your venture is.

Dan

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
At least you have identified your 'problem' and therefore can nip it in the bud when you feel it rising again.

Good Luck with whatever your venture is.

Dan
Thanks !
Amazing story you’ve got there with finding Unscripted on the train.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
The Dabbler approaches each new sport, career opportunity, or relationship with enormous enthusiasm. The falloff from his first peak comes as a shock. The plateau that follows is unacceptable if not incomprehensible. His enthusiasm quickly wanes.

The obsessive is a bottom-line type of person, not one to settle for second best. He knows results are what count, and it doesn't matter how you get them, just so you get them fast. But when he inevitably regresses and finds himself on a plateau, he simply won't accept it. He redoubles his effort. He pushes himself mercilessly. He refuses to accept counsel of moderation.

Be weary not to graduate from the Dabbler to the Obsessive, as the Obsessive is likely to get hurt in the long-run.

Aim to recognize when you reach plateaus, and learn to be comfortable in a plateau. Surrender to the practice, remove unnecessary and obsessive goal orientation, and approach your venture with more patience. Play the long game, and you'll not be hurt by the sometimes volatile ups and downs of success and failure.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
The Dabbler approaches each new sport, career opportunity, or relationship with enormous enthusiasm. The falloff from his first peak comes as a shock. The plateau that follows is unacceptable if not incomprehensible. His enthusiasm quickly wanes.

The obsessive is a bottom-line type of person, not one to settle for second best. He knows results are what count, and it doesn't matter how you get them, just so you get them fast. But when he inevitably regresses and finds himself on a plateau, he simply won't accept it. He redoubles his effort. He pushes himself mercilessly. He refuses to accept counsel of moderation.

Be weary not to graduate from the Dabbler to the Obsessive, as the Obsessive is likely to get hurt in the long-run.

Aim to recognize when you reach plateaus, and learn to be comfortable in a plateau. Surrender to the practice, remove unnecessary and obsessive goal orientation, and approach your venture with more patience. Play the long game, and you'll not be hurt by the sometimes volatile ups and downs of success and failure.

I had to google this. Thanks anyway

B.Cotter

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Apr 23, 2020
Northern VA
I can’t remember his name but I recently watched an interview with an individual who has multiple businesses and is a mentor. He spoke on something that I found really helped me to maintain the positive feeling/highs of success. He said to take your goals and break them down into multiple smaller goals, then do it again so now you have multiple more baby goals. Each of these baby goals are just baby steps towards accomplishing one single large goal you set for yourself. Now each day, or more often, you’re hitting these small goals which helps to maintain that positive feeling more often regardless of the ups and downs of business.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I can’t remember his name but I recently watched an interview with an individual who has multiple businesses and is a mentor. He spoke on something that I found really helped me to maintain the positive feeling/highs of success. He said to take your goals and break them down into multiple smaller goals, then do it again so now you have multiple more baby goals. Each of these baby goals are just baby steps towards accomplishing one single large goal you set for yourself. Now each day, or more often, you’re hitting these small goals which helps to maintain that positive feeling more often regardless of the ups and downs of business.
Thank you !
That is indeed a
Thank you! Smaller goals, on a piece of paper so progress can be visualised is indeed what I was going to do.
Good luck with your restaurant ventures too !

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Believe it or not, I’ve never self reflected on my situation before. Nor have I asked why there seems to be a pattern in everything I do.

After deep thought and evaluation, I realized my problems:

1. I’m not committing to a business after launch.
  2. I’m comparing my progress to other people’s progress.

After deeper research, I found out it is called Shiny Objects Syndrome, effectively jumping from one project to the other without completing any.

I can spend a year preparing and launching a business, but then my intrest diminishes after not seeing unicorn results. This will be tackled by setting realistic goals, something I’ve never done before.

1. I’m usually high(metaphorically speaking) and infatuated while working on a project, and as soon as I launch and things go sideways, I quit and on to the next shiny idea I go.

I’ve been doing this self vicious cycle for 4 years now. It’s time I stop.

I’ve been working on a project for almost two years carefully planning everything and the minute it went live and I only had two sales, I lost my commitment because I was expecting Amazon’s revenues in my first day.

Expectations can kill dreams.

I am making an active decision, that I will completely commit to improving my business and sales, or at least keep at it for the rest of the year.

Even If things don’t go my way and I have to go back to my old job, I will continue to keep my commitment to improve it.

2. Like a lot of people, I’m being sold everyday on Instagram pictures of fake lifestyles and I’m comparing myself to the well crafted “lifestyles” of others. I cannot delete it as I will use it for my business. However, I will be mostly focusing on my business and trying to ignore the rest. I also compare other businesses in the same category with mine. Even though I understand they’re already established and have been around a while, I aspire my business to be like theirs some day but I keep comparing my day 1 with their day 1000. This must also stop.

If I can keep the commitment, by the end of the year I should have:

• a viable business that keeps growing.
  • a better understanding of committing to a project therefore improving S.o.S
  • £10k revenue/ month

If I cannot keep myself committed to seeing this through, then I deserve a dead end job which, ironically, I’d have to commit the rest of my life to.

I’m launching my business on 2.04. I’ve already generated 5k emails of potential buyers. Assuming the worst, even if I have 0 sales, I will stay commited to making it work.

(To be honest 0 sales would be a product problem which I don’t believe it is since it’s already on the market one way or another) -> before I’m hit in the head with a stone, let me say that I’m differentiating by offering better pricing, longer warranties and better customer service. I won’t be doing any other projects for the rest of my “challenge”

With that being said, Let the commitment games begin.
You remind me of some of the guys when they are getting ready for a fishing trip. They milk all the happiness out of the trip before they go. They arrange their tackle boxes. They add the perfect lurer, in the right color and size. They drink beer together -- comparing their past trips and catches. They don't sleep the night before they go in anticipation. And then, on that big day, they're all back by lunchtime. The actual trip can't live up to their expectations.

Another thought... When I was young, I used to say to myself, "When X happens, I'm going to be happy." Are you in that mode? Are you living in tomorrow or living in today? What changed for me was a serious illness. My doctors didn't think I was going to make it. So, I had to have one of those moments when I asked when I was going to be happy. If I might not wake tomorrow, I figured I'd better make my TODAY be my time to be happy.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
You remind me of some of the guys when they are getting ready for a fishing trip. They milk all the happiness out of the trip before they go. They arrange their tackle boxes. They add the perfect lurer, in the right color and size. They drink beer together -- comparing their past trips and catches. They don't sleep the night before they go in anticipation. And then, on that big day, they're all back by lunchtime. The actual trip can't live up to their expectations.

Another thought... When I was young, I used to say to myself, "When X happens, I'm going to be happy." Are you in that mode? Are you living in tomorrow or living in today? What changed for me was a serious illness. My doctors didn't think I was going to make it. So, I had to have one of those moments when I asked when I was going to be happy. If I might not wake tomorrow, I figured I'd better make my TODAY be my time to be happy.
True with the fishermen, haha.
I’m glad you made it and realized you have to live in the present.

I don’t know what to say other than this is my first time genuinely self reflecting on my situation and being honest about it.
Life can easily become a self fulfilling cycle of “I’ll be happy when X, Y, Z”.

I’m enjoying life everyday, but I know there’s more to it than what there is for me at the moment.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.