The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Be healthy with very cheap food. Is that possible?

ProblemSolving

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 4, 2017
?
So I plan to cut money on food to invest all money in my business.

My diet is:
- Chicken nuggets / Meatballs: $5, 1800 calories, 60% fat and 40% protein.
- Lemon / Apple / Orange juice, $4, 1800 calories, 100% carb.

So I tested this diet for a week, with $5 a day I can fill in the calories need. With the right macro proportion. And it's very easy to measure the portion. I didn't gain nor lose any weight.

However I'm no expert in health, just read a few articles on the net. Any health concerns over the long run with this diet?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

My diet is:

So I tested this diet for a week, with $5 a day I can fill in the calories need. With the right macro proportion. And it's very easy to measure the portion. I didn't gain nor lose any weight.

However I'm no expert in health, just read a few articles on the net. Any health concerns over the long run with this diet?
What you're eating, for the most part, is not very good for you in the long run. The juice is too high in carbs. It takes about 6 to 8 orange to make a glass of orange juice. Would you eat that many oranges in a sitting? I won't even comment on the chicken nuggets/meatballs...

Have you considered beans? They are cheap, full of fiber and very high in nutritional value. A dried pound is around $2 and makes a few meals. A can of refried beans and some cheese, wrapped in a tortilla, becomes a burrito that can be warmed in a microwave in 90 seconds (I roll those burritos in a paper towel to put into the microwave oven). How about whole grains? A crockpot cooks up multiple meals for you without a sweat. Again, the whole grains usually cost under $2. You can add some of that cooked grain to cold salad greens. What about veggies and whole fruits? Most of them can be eaten raw or cooked. I bought a 10 pound bag of frozen chicken tonight at Walmart for less than $8.00. I'll start off by baking the chicken pieces -- it takes a baking pan and an hour of oven time. We'll get at least 2 or 3 meals off of that bag of chicken. And the resulting chicken bones and drippings will make a couple huge pots of chicken broth -- for the bases for a whole bunch of different kinds of soup. And those pots of soup will make several other meals.
We eat wonderfully everyday without breaking the bank. Eating good doesn't have to be expensive, but it is deliberate.
www.wjkbusinessbuzz.com

J.Sark

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jan 21, 2017
Spain
Eggs, chicken (the real thing, cooked in a healthy way, not that nugget crap), vegetables (prices may vary depending on your area, although broccoli is a must in my opinion), protein shakes with milk if you don't have intolerance and don't have anything against them (same for cheese). This alone will give you a solid and healthy nutrition base (I like the paleo approach when it comes to nutrition).

Keep it simple with real food (the protein shakes are kind of an exception, but it's not a big deal in my opinion and they are really convenient).

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
I’m all about making delicious meals without breaking the bank.

I make a lot of roasts and grilled chicken. Both are not costly. The roasts I cook in my instant pot with veggies and beef broth.

I’m typically eating brown rice, quinoa or potatoes for my carbs. All purchased in bulk from Costco. I avoid breads, pastas and anything with a high sugar content.

Veggies are typically not expensive and I’ll do brussel sprouts, string beans and salads.

I probably spend ball park 10-15 a day on food. Closer to 10 on most days. It’s some of the healthiest I’ve ever eaten.

$5 per day would be stretching it. I do live in New York with higher prices than most places so I’m not sure what you can buy where you live on that budget.

What you’re currently eating does not sound healthy. Fruit juices are typically garbage. Look at the sugar content. 4g is about a teaspoon of sugar. Map out how many teaspoons of sugar you’re drinking in your OJ and at least for me, its easy to give up.

I think good health is an essential ingredient of success. Budget out and don’t spend recklessly on what you’re eating, but if it costs a few more dollars a day to eat healthy, your body will thank you.

In the end you’re living in your own Ferrari. I’m not putting 87 in mine. I’m fueling for the best mind and healthiest body.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
You might have the macros...

But you certainly don’t have the right micronutrients

Your body needs all the right vitamins and minerals in order to USE those nuggets and incompressible amount of sugar.

That diet might look like it’s giving all the right stuff, but all it’s actually giving you is diabetes.

ProblemSolving

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 4, 2017
?
Thanks guys.

You’re right, indeed some raw ingredients are even cheaper at the grocery stores.

And it’s way way way healthier

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The cheapest food is the healthiest, that being veggies, fruits, some grains (brown rice) and legumes. I walked out of the Whole Foods with 5 full paper bags and kept everything under $100.

Cheap food is really expensive when the cost ultimately becomes poor health, poor productivity, and big costs for health care; medications for diabetes, cholesterol, high blood pressure, and whatever else the doctor can toss at you, while dismissing what's going into your pie hole.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
a5fcd7b3acb7a934e089435bdc9e664f.jpg

Sprocket

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 7, 2018
UK

My diet is:

Hey!

I have 3 kids to feed and we're saving 35% of our income a month for our future / business. So we eat cheap BUT really healthily.

Oats, pulses, seasonal veg, seasonal fruit, pasta, rice.

Try and find cheap whole foods (that haven't been processed). You'll save money and you'll feel incredible.

Sprocket

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 7, 2018
UK

My diet is:

Also our bodies have evolved from hunter gatherers, we need a wide range of nutrients from a varied diet. A restricted diet like the one you outlined may leave you very deficient in some areas.

I’m no expert but I cook 3 meals a day for 5 people (and so far they’re still alive ;) ) so happy to help you with healthy and cheap recipe ideas

AfterWind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 23, 2017
Romania
Instead of eating bad food, why don't you try eating less often?

Eating one meal a day is possible and I have been doing it for 6 months already. It hasn't affected me in any negative way and not only did I save up on money I saved up on time as well and got few minor power-ups in motivation. Moreover, I have been eating mostly fast food with high fat food (KFC), which you basically have to since your stomach doesn't have the capacity of eating 30 salads in one meal. But you don't have to eat fast food like me. This should be more healthy and cheap.

There is a thread about intermittent fasting in general, to find out more about this way of eating:
Is Anyone Else Intermittent Fasting?

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
The cheapest food is the healthiest, that being veggies, fruits, some grains (brown rice) and legumes. I walked out of the Whole Foods with 5 full paper bags and kept everything under $100.

Cheap food is really expensive when the cost ultimately becomes poor health, poor productivity, and big costs for health care; medications for diabetes, cholesterol, high blood pressure, and whatever else the doctor can toss at you, while dismissing what's going into your pie hole.
On another note, @MJ DeMarco, how do you wash your veges and fruits?

Ordinary rinsing and scrubbing? There's no knowing about pesticides, dirt and chemical waxes that may be still on the produce, even for organic fruits, to a certain extent.

I typically use a 'vegiwash' to soak the vegetables in like clothes in soapwater, but I have run into expensive gizmos in the shopping mall that offer 'osmosis-based' filters.

I somehow like these complementary-type products that are tied with the demand of regular products. Good Fastlane routes.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.