The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Badass hobbies.

juturna

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Aug 3, 2015
A black belt in Brazilian Jiu jitsu is the toughest black belt to get. It takes an average of 10 years for a hobbyist type, I was in line with that with a couple of layoffs for injury/illness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Ah, I see. That's pretty cool to know, man. Anything else you'd like to inform me on since I'm interested?

I was going to do muay thai. Maybe you can help me out with that, too?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

chadahr01

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jun 6, 2015
Upstate NY
Ah, I see. That's pretty cool to know, man. Anything else you'd like to inform me on since I'm interested?

I was going to do muay thai. Maybe you can help me out with that, too?
I never trained Muay Thai, I'm fairly familiar with it though. Are you just looking for a workout? self defense? competition?

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Skydiving would be so cool to do!

I've skydived 4-5 times. I'd love to get more into the sport - but I realize I can only get good at a couple things at a time. For me, right now, that's surfing.

One day I might circle back and get a few licenses for jumping out of planes.

So many hobbies, so little time.

To the original poster's question, I'm into/have done:

surfing, shooting, scuba diving, offroading/rock crawling (so done with this), shifter cart racing, sky diving, snowboarding, wakeboarding (meh), traveling, snowmobiling motorcycling, weight lifting, dirt biking, white water rafting (in Thailand), and more I'm forgetting.

I will literally never be bored for my entire life - I'll never be without something to do or some sort of hobby to pursue.

Things I haven't done that I want to do: bungee jump (freaks me out), hang glide, base jump, ice climbing, more scuba diving (want to see big animals), ride in a helicopter or two, take a ride in a fighter jet, experience what it's like to live in 10+ countries (on my way to that one).

What are you waiting for? Pick ONE thing you've put off for the last year and go do it this month.

juturna

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Aug 3, 2015
I never trained Muay Thai, I'm fairly familiar with it though. Are you just looking for a workout? self defense? competition?

Honestly, a little bit of all 3. I started taking some nootropics to help me out with some of the work out since you have to be dedicated and I'm not that easily motivated, you know?

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
I've skydived 4-5 times. I'd love to get more into the sport - but I realize I can only get good at a couple things at a time. For me, right now, that's surfing.

One day I might circle back and get a few licenses for jumping out of planes.

So many hobbies, so little time.

To the original poster's question, I'm into/have done:

surfing, shooting, scuba diving, offroading/rock crawling (so done with this), shifter cart racing, sky diving, snowboarding, wakeboarding (meh), traveling, snowmobiling motorcycling, weight lifting, dirt biking, white water rafting (in Thailand), and more I'm forgetting.

I will literally never be bored for my entire life - I'll never be without something to do or some sort of hobby to pursue.

Things I haven't done that I want to do: bungee jump (freaks me out), hang glide, base jump, ice climbing, more scuba diving (want to see big animals), ride in a helicopter or two, take a ride in a fighter jet, experience what it's like to live in 10+ countries (on my way to that one).

What are you waiting for? Pick ONE thing you've put off for the last year and go do it this month.
Ha what coincidence, so i ended up going sky diving yesterday and while talking to the guy who was going to be hooked to me

So i asked him if he had ever done bungee jumping before, he said he will never do it in his entire life

I first went bungee jumping 3 years ago from yesterday which was also the day i went sky diving

D

DeletedUser394

Speedskating season officially kicks off tonight. The rest of this year is going to be the biggest and busiest so far in my life, so I won't have much time to devote to skating... although I guess bringing in 10s of thousands in dollars instead is still pretty badass ;)

I'm already booked solid from next week until next summer more or less, so I'll be lucky to skate once a week.. if that.

DSC_0409.jpg

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
general 4x4 nonsense in the desert. Fishing in the lake with my kid and blowing shit up. It is arizona . Where else can you shoot holes through engine blocks just for fun. And here's a pic of my desert truck . 75 chevy k10 with mismatched tires in the pic. Has a 350 with a 4 speed manual and dana 44's front and rear running on 35 inch tall tires. Getting 40's very soon. Previous owner geared it waaaaaay to low for street use.

Attachments

• wtruck2.jpg
    wtruck2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 8

John Clancy

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
349%
Feb 23, 2015
It depends what your definition of badass is.
If you're looking for a hobby that will get people to say "Wow, that's badass!"... then it's is suggested that you undertake something which they can't immediately imagine themselves being able to do. Cal Newport has a great article on this, which is summed up in this quote:

The Failed Simulation Effect

Accomplishments that are hard to explain can be much more impressive than accomplishments that are simply hard to do.

For example, if you're an excellent guitar player, you'll get plenty of respect for your skills, but people wont really think "Wow, badass" as they can roughly approximate the steps required to get there. Basically, its a case of " could do that if I wanted to...". They're less impressed because they can imagine doing what you've done.

On the other hand, if you've created a Youtube music channel with over a million views, that has a tendency to stop people in their tracks, as they can't readily imagine the steps you took to get to there. The level of effort and dedication required to do this might not even be greater than the person in our first example (this is particularly prevalent in the music world, where there is an abundance of talented, broke musicians). The second person is more "badass" than the first in the eyes of others.

If your definition of badass is more along the lines of something adrenaline pumping, then possible suggestions include skydiving, bungee jumping, scuba diving, base jumping, rally car racing, or some kind of athletic event (eg. a powerlifting competition or a race).

If you're simply looking for something cool to do to pass the time, I like to consider hobbies that produce something rather than just consume. For instance, classic car restoration and woodworking are both beneficial, productive pastimes, while watching Netflix is simply passive consummation.

Hope that helps!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.