The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Baby equipment rental online

Levin Witt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jan 18, 2020
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has anyone attempted renting out baby equipment. Baby's grow out of their things pretty quick, and many times if you travel you wont want to haul all your stuff with you (although travel is not exactly big currently with Covid, I am counting on this changing though). Some of this stuff is expensive (I would not try renting out cheap products), so I think it could be a viable business. My thought was many baby products can be shipped in the mail, so I could potentially expand beyond just my local area. I would not have any brick and mortar store. If I can, I will try to get into renting out smart cribs, which are relatively new and very expensive, but extremely helpful to parents who want to be able to sleep at night without being disturbed by their kids (look up SNOO smart sleeper). This would make them ideal to rent. But first I would start off smaller with traditional stuff like strollers and regular cribs (which are mail-able). Anyone experience in this and the rental business in general would be helpful.

I think renting out relatively expensive (since cheap things can easily be bought) products that only get used for a short is a better model then trying to sell them in several aspects:
-it can save the costumer money
-they don't have it in the way after using it
-they don't have to go through the hassle of selling it

If not this then maybe something else in the rental space. I was thinking RVs (but am too broke to get one of those, would need a loan to start that), or maybe landscaping equipment-idk

any feedback would be helpful,
-thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
renting baby products sounds like a bad idea, try recreational sports. I thought about doing it until I learned you need a billion permits and people bid on spots before the year even starts.

Don't know where you are but the rental market is quite large here in Vancouver, my one job I had we pulled in 5 figures a day in rental sales which blew my mind when peeking at the sales receipts.

You could rent out bicycles, kayaks, snowboards, snowshoes, skis, surfboards, boats, jetskis, electric bikes/skateboards, rollerblades, motorcycles, cars..... landscaping equipment, bobcats, cranes and whatever else people need.

There's a company down here in Vancouver that must make a killing, they charge about $100h/r to rent a jetski and they are usually quite busy (we are a tourist destination after all) So imagine what they rake in. If they have 10 jet skis out that's $1,000 h/r :eek: You could buy one for under $10k and have it paid off in less than a few days.

Levin Witt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jan 18, 2020
renting baby products sounds like a bad idea, try recreational sports. I thought about doing it until I learned you need a billion permits and people bid on spots before the year even starts.

Don't know where you are but the rental market is quite large here in Vancouver, my one job I had we pulled in 5 figures a day in rental sales which blew my mind when peeking at the sales receipts.

You could rent out bicycles, kayaks, snowboards, snowshoes, skis, surfboards, boats, jetskis, electric bikes/skateboards, rollerblades, motorcycles, cars..... landscaping equipment, bobcats, cranes and whatever else people need.

There's a company down here in Vancouver that must make a killing, they charge about $100h/r to rent a jetski and they are usually quite busy (we are a tourist destination after all) So imagine what they rake in. If they have 10 jet skis out that's $1,000 h/r :eek: You could buy one for under $10k and have it paid off in less than a few days.
Thanks, I'm in germany btw. I will look around my area some more, I just happened to not see much baby rental stuff where I live.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Travtail

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 30, 2020
Nashville
This definitely is a concept worth thinking about.
Some issues that I can think of off the top of my head is that there might not be as much business as you had hoped because many families tend to stay home with their children rather than go out and travel. Also, if you do ship it to them, would they have to ship it back to you? That also seems like a slight hassle.
But for the occasional family that forgets some essential baby equipment, this could be what they're looking for!

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has anyone attempted renting out baby equipment. Baby's grow out of their things pretty quick, and many times if you travel you wont want to haul all your stuff with you (although travel is not exactly big currently with Covid, I am counting on this changing though). Some of this stuff is expensive (I would not try renting out cheap products), so I think it could be a viable business. My thought was many baby products can be shipped in the mail, so I could potentially expand beyond just my local area. I would not have any brick and mortar store. If I can, I will try to get into renting out smart cribs, which are relatively new and very expensive, but extremely helpful to parents who want to be able to sleep at night without being disturbed by their kids (look up SNOO smart sleeper). This would make them ideal to rent. But first I would start off smaller with traditional stuff like strollers and regular cribs (which are mail-able). Anyone experience in this and the rental business in general would be helpful.

I think renting out relatively expensive (since cheap things can easily be bought) products that only get used for a short is a better model then trying to sell them in several aspects:
-it can save the costumer money
-they don't have it in the way after using it
-they don't have to go through the hassle of selling it

If not this then maybe something else in the rental space. I was thinking RVs (but am too broke to get one of those, would need a loan to start that), or maybe landscaping equipment-idk

any feedback would be helpful,
-thank you
Hi man,
when we had children, we bought aonly quite good, expensive things.
We thought about renting them maybe.
In the end, people didn t want them.
We gave away nearly all for free. Thats a investition, too, because the people remember and help you, too, when you need it. Sometimes.

Believe me : noone, from whom you can earn money will rent baby equipment.

There is one thing my brother in law can lend all the time: its a small

vibrating plate for paving.
He gets two boxes of beer every week.

cheers!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content