The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Automated Equipment Rental Pickup

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
I run an audio equipment hire business. We rent out speakers, microphones, lights etc for weddings, parties, corporate events etc.
We operate out of a large self storage complex that has a shared & staffed reception. Our unit isn't fully staffed. Our tech just goes there as needed. Maybe 8 hours per week.

The way it works is:
1. Customers book & pay either online, via email or phone.

2. We pack, label & put the equipment out in one of the common areas a day or 2 prior.
1625132053521.png
3. The customer goes to the shared reception & they point them to our pick up area. The customer
then picks up their order.

4. After the event the customer returns it to the same spot.

We've been doing this for 8 years with over a thousand orders & fortunately never had anything stolen & customers seem to really like
it. When COVID struck we basically had a contactless pickup system ready to go. It's been a pretty good setup but it does have a few of weaknesses:

1. Sometimes people ring up at short notice. This means our tech has to drive about half an hour from his place to get the gear out. That's assuming he's
not out on a delivery job. So either we turn down the job or we take it but it's a bit of a hassle.

2. Whist we've been lucky, the security aspect isn't great. In the picture above would be about $20K worth of gear. People don't have
to show ID to collect their order. Also anyone walking around the complex could steal gear if they really wanted to even though the complex is pretty tight.

3. There is a bit of labour involved in storing & packing all the gear & driving over several times a week.

4. Customers can only pick up & return during business hours. It would be nice to have some way people could pick up/return after hours.

Recently they just installed an Amazon parcel locker outside. I got to wondering if we could set up something similar. It could either be
inside or outside. Outside would need to be much more secure & weather proof but it would allow after hours pickup/return. Inside the complex you
could use a much simpler solution like a set of gym lockers with smart locks.
1625133980413.png
Igloo Home make a smart padlock where you can get a time limited code & the lock doesn't need an internet connection. You just generate
the code from an app. Apparently these are popular with the AirBnB people. When a customer books I could just send them a code
that works for the days or their hire. I think there's actually an API you could use to send a code if they book online.
1625135587034.png

We could pre-stock the lockers with our most popular items. For example lockers 1, 2 & 3 might have speakers. 4, 5 & 6 could have
microphones. 7, 8 & 9 could have lights. If someone ordered 2 x speakers & a microphone then I send them codes for lockers 1, 2 & 4
& they have instant access without someone having to go there & pack the order.

The other old school alternative would be to just employ someone to be there for a few hours each day which would solve most of these problems but
it would cost about $20K a year. For $20K I could probably get an awesome automated system that no other rental company has & besides it's never truly passive
income when you've got employees.

Anyway I'd love people's feedback on this. These self pickup lockers seem to be popping up everywhere:
1625134094627.png
1625134205873.png
1625134407335.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I run an audio equipment hire business. We rent out speakers, microphones, lights etc for weddings, parties, corporate events etc.
We operate out of a large self storage complex that has a shared & staffed reception. Our unit isn't fully staffed. Our tech just goes there as needed. Maybe 8 hours per week.

The way it works is:
1. Customers book & pay either online, via email or phone.

2. We pack, label & put the equipment out in one of the common areas a day or 2 prior.
View attachment 38670
3. The customer goes to the shared reception & they point them to our pick up area. The customer
then picks up their order.

4. After the event the customer returns it to the same spot.

We've been doing this for 8 years with over a thousand orders & fortunately never had anything stolen & customers seem to really like
it. When COVID struck we basically had a contactless pickup system ready to go. It's been a pretty good setup but it does have a few of weaknesses:

1. Sometimes people ring up at short notice. This means our tech has to drive about half an hour from his place to get the gear out. That's assuming he's
not out on a delivery job. So either we turn down the job or we take it but it's a bit of a hassle.

2. Whist we've been lucky, the security aspect isn't great. In the picture above would be about $20K worth of gear. People don't have
to show ID to collect their order. Also anyone walking around the complex could steal gear if they really wanted to even though the complex is pretty tight.

3. There is a bit of labour involved in storing & packing all the gear & driving over several times a week.

4. Customers can only pick up & return during business hours. It would be nice to have some way people could pick up/return after hours.

Recently they just installed an Amazon parcel locker outside. I got to wondering if we could set up something similar. It could either be
inside or outside. Outside would need to be much more secure & weather proof but it would allow after hours pickup/return. Inside the complex you
could use a much simpler solution like a set of gym lockers with smart locks.
View attachment 38671
Igloo Home make a smart padlock where you can get a time limited code & the lock doesn't need an internet connection. You just generate
the code from an app. Apparently these are popular with the AirBnB people. When a customer books I could just send them a code
that works for the days or their hire. I think there's actually an API you could use to send a code if they book online.
View attachment 38675

We could pre-stock the lockers with our most popular items. For example lockers 1, 2 & 3 might have speakers. 4, 5 & 6 could have
microphones. 7, 8 & 9 could have lights. If someone ordered 2 x speakers & a microphone then I send them codes for lockers 1, 2 & 4
& they have instant access without someone having to go there & pack the order.

The other old school alternative would be to just employ someone to be there for a few hours each day which would solve most of these problems but
it would cost about $20K a year. For $20K I could probably get an awesome automated system that no other rental company has & besides it's never truly passive
income when you've got employees.

Anyway I'd love people's feedback on this. These self pickup lockers seem to be popping up everywhere:
View attachment 38672
View attachment 38673
View attachment 38674
Ah man...
Such an awesome idea.
I really wish I could do something like this in my own country.
Like automated rental for stuff... if only eastern Europe didnt have so many gypsies...

To me it seems like your idea lives or dies mainly with the honesty of people.
Some awesome ideas which failed or are on their way to faillure in my country because of theft:
1. Automated bike rental.
2. Automated electric scooter rental.
3. Electric car rental
4. Delivery lockers (like the ones you are showing) are busted frequently.

If you can find a way to address the security I think you have gold in your idea.

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
Ah man...
Such an awesome idea.
I really wish I could do something like this in my own country.
Like automated rental for stuff... if only eastern Europe didnt have so many gypsies...

To me it seems like your idea lives or dies mainly with the honesty of people.
Some awesome ideas which failed or are on their way to faillure in my country because of theft:
1. Automated bike rental.
2. Automated electric scooter rental.
3. Electric car rental
4. Delivery lockers (like the ones you are showing) are busted frequently.

If you can find a way to address the security I think you have gold in your idea.
That's sad to hear it's like that in your country. I suspect we get a lot of benefit from the complex's security. People have to have an access code or have to go through reception. We have 24 hours access that we pay for but most people don't. Also there's a bunch of security cameras & quite a few staff. That might answer my question about whether to have something inside the complex or outside.

Last edited:

CryptoCurt

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Oct 2, 2019
Germany
Great idea. Yes i would prefer these pickup lockers over the old school aproach anytime.

Of course you'd have to calculate ...
1) where you could plant those bad boys
2) how much the initial and maintenance cost is
3) insurance?
4)IT maintenance (app, error messages, PIN not working, system upgrades, etc...)

But thats the way to go - keep us posted!

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
Great idea. Yes i would prefer these pickup lockers over the old school aproach anytime.

Of course you'd have to calculate ...
1) where you could plant those bad boys
2) how much the initial and maintenance cost is
3) insurance?
4)IT maintenance (app, error messages, PIN not working, system upgrades, etc...)

But thats the way to go - keep us posted!
Thanks. Yes good points. If I go for the full-on commercial solution I think we're talking big money but it looks like you can retrofit standard lockers with smart locks. Also it looks like you can it can be done without internet access, mains power or wiring. There are offline, battery powered locks. As for IT support/maintenance, yes that's the big question. Can I set up something that's simple to use & super reliable. You've only got to have one person have a bad experience & write a bad review to really impact the service.

CryptoCurt

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Oct 2, 2019
Germany
Thanks. Yes good points. If I go for the full-on commercial solution I think we're talking big money but it looks like you can retrofit standard lockers with smart locks. Also it looks like you can it can be done without internet access, mains power or wiring. There are offline, battery powered locks. As for IT support/maintenance, yes that's the big question. Can I set up something that's simple to use & super reliable. You've only got to have one person have a bad experience & write a bad review to really impact the service.
Low-tech (aka w/o internet access) is ok as long as it works for you. I am an IT guy just can say, there are too many advantages of a IT up-to-date locker system like the DHL/Amazon Boxes. You immediately see when and who opened each locker. Its automatically logging any action that happens. Maybe important if you wanna know when / if a package was taken and returned so you can check it or re-rent it straight away.
All these costs you can put against your 20.000$ pricetag for the old-school-solution to hire a (customer-friendly-)bouncer.
Sure, user experience should be good but i would not think about review issues straight away.
It has to work smoothly -- review is a different story.

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
Low-tech (aka w/o internet access) is ok as long as it works for you. I am an IT guy just can say, there are too many advantages of a IT up-to-date locker system like the DHL/Amazon Boxes. You immediately see when and who opened each locker. Its automatically logging any action that happens. Maybe important if you wanna know when / if a package was taken and returned so you can check it or re-rent it straight away.
All these costs you can put against your 20.000$ pricetag for the old-school-solution to hire a (customer-friendly-)bouncer.
Sure, user experience should be good but i would not think about review issues straight away.
It has to work smoothly -- review is a different story.
Yes good point. I was mainly thinking of the reliability aspect. I didn't want opening the locker being dependent on internet access but it certainly would be handy for other things such as tracking if an order had been picked up or returned. You could also have say an iPad hooked up to chat for tech support.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
633%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
robots>>>>>employees.

You'll need two employees at least because every other week one will call out sick with an excuse like "my dog is getting an abortion", "a new episode on netflix just came out this morning", "my girlfriends parole officer told her she needed to come in so I had to watch the baby today", "I just need a mental health day you know?".

Robots will say: "beep boop boop bop, here is more money, master. Do I get overtime pay? haha just kidding. Boop Boop Bop back to work!"

ROBOTS FTW

Last edited:
G

Guest-5ty5s4

robots>>>>>employees.

You'll need two employees at least because every other week one will call out sick with an excuse like "my dog is getting an abortion", "a new episode on netflix just came out this morning", "my girlfriends parole officer told her she needed to come in so I had to watch the baby today", "I just need a mental health day you know?".

Robots will say: "beep boop boop bop, here is more money, master. Do I get overtime pay? haha just kidding. Boop Boop Bop back to work!"

ROBOTS FTW
This is true.

However, the best way to get employees to stop taking advantage and acting like that, is to fire the first one who becomes a problem.

Then the others know not to lie to you and skip out on their jobs... And if the job is fairly simple, you can fire and hire a whole lot of people.

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
robots>>>>>employees.

ROBOTS FTW
Yeah I know what you mean. Also my people management skills are very poor.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
633%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
This is true.

However, the best way to get employees to stop taking advantage and acting like that, is to fire the first one who becomes a problem.

Then the others know not to lie to you and skip out on their jobs... And if the job is fairly simple, you can fire and hire a whole lot of people.
which is why he would have to hire two of them. Otherwise he becomes his own employee when he fires someone. I have 4 of them working full time at 18-20/hr. Once we are at 6 employees we can justify hiring an extra that will function as a backup worker. For now I'm the backup guy. I check my phone each morning and hope nothing bad happened so I get a day off. Just a temporary problem but it will be your life when you only have 1-2 people working for you.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

which is why he would have to hire two of them. Otherwise he becomes his own employee when he fires someone. I have 4 of them working full time at 18-20/hr. Once we are at 6 employees we can justify hiring an extra that will function as a backup worker. For now I'm the backup guy. I check my phone each morning and hope nothing bad happened so I get a day off. Just a temporary problem but it will be your life when you only have 1-2 people working for you.
true. in a bigger company like the main one I'm at, we have lots of people but so many different tasks that the boss and VP still have active roles.

You have to hit a certain size, revenue, and cash flow consistently to hire for certain things, like management, administration, paperwork etc.

Wouldn't believe the amount of paperwork we have to do in main biz

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.