The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Automated Pizza making

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Found it:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Might as well design the first Itallian hot woman robot/drone who automates pizza's and serves them at the counter. :rofl:
That would be quite creepy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Always loved this quote:

"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment."

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
that Is amazing and could probably be the future of fast food
Like McDonald's?

I wonder how much of a price of each burger is employees payroll.
If its big chunk of it then we have to prepare
for dietitian's nightmare.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Like McDonald's?

I wonder how much of a price of each burger is employees payroll.
If its big chunk of it then we have to prepare
for dietitian's nightmare.
So looks like the average is $16 per hour for the company:

At ~200k employees in 2020: McDonald's: Number of employees about the years | Statista
They made around 19,2 billion in revenue: McDonald's Reports Fourth Quarter And Full Year 2020 Results

So assuming 8 hour work day, average salary is $32256 per employee times ~200k employees gives us roughly 6.45 billion dollars in emplpoyee direct cost.
Assuming there is some overhead for hiring, firing, idle time for training, insurance, payroll management etc. lets round it to 7 billion in employee cost.

So employee costs are around 37% of revenue, which is very considarable.
I bet that just one machine can replace at least 5 employees, maybe more given that its not limited to 8 hour work days.
Maintenence shouldnt be that bad, for every 50 employes replaced by 10 machines, you might need 1 engineer on full time.

Just some food for thought :)

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Also, just thinking ahead.
If the trend is really in that direction, a repair service for food bots should be something very profitable
Monthly subscription for restaurants and fast food shops to keep their equipment in top notch condition.
24/7 emergency service

Hell I bet that there would be a business made around just cutting ingredients and placing them in standart containers to be used with certain brand food bots.
This would replace the delivery service for food ingredients which have to be prepped.
Instead you get a fresh container of cut up onions ready to be mounted on the machine.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
So employee costs are around 37% of revenue, which is very considarable.
So about 1/3.

Additionally, comparing retail cost of food ingredients and wholesale price that restaurants could get, it could be possible that dining out would become cheaper than preparing food at own's home.

Quite a shift.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
What I'm surprised about is how many of these devices are trying to mimic how humans work in a normal human kitchen instead of redesigning the process with robots in mind. It's like they are trying to use a robot to replace a human instead of using robotics to redesign the kitchen.

The wok station had the right idea - load it up and let the kitchen work. It can do 1 or 8 simultaneously, self-cleans, cooks to the right temp, packages, and serves automatically. That's a machine trying to solve the problem of food preparation, not worker replacement.

I feel like too many of these kitchen solutions are trying to use AI to mimic how humans work instead of taking a step back and thinking about the goal of simply making food as efficiently as possible.

Yes, a human places a single patty down at a time, cooks one side, flips each, cooks the other, and moves them one at a time to the prep station. That's nice, but a robot can shape and dispense 12 patties at once directly to a grill that cooks both sides at once and move all 12 simultaneously to a bun in one motion, where they can be topped to order in seconds simultaneously, packaged, labelled, and served to the customer. There's no need or desire to replace a worker when you can replace the kitchen entirely.

I realize buying a $10k robot arm to replace a $30k employee is a nice idea, but it just seems so damn inefficient.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

What I'm surprised about is how many of these devices are trying to mimic how humans work in a normal human kitchen instead of redesigning the process with robots in mind. It's like they are trying to use a robot to replace a human instead of using robotics to redesign the kitchen.

The wok station had the right idea - load it up and let the kitchen work. It can do 1 or 8 simultaneously, self-cleans, cooks to the right temp, packages, and serves automatically. That's a machine trying to solve the problem of food preparation, not worker replacement.

I feel like too many of these kitchen solutions are trying to use AI to mimic how humans work instead of taking a step back and thinking about the goal of simply making food as efficiently as possible.

Yes, a human places a single patty down at a time, cooks one side, flips each, cooks the other, and moves them one at a time to the prep station. That's nice, but a robot can shape and dispense 12 patties at once directly to a grill that cooks both sides at once and move all 12 simultaneously to a bun in one motion, where they can be topped to order in seconds simultaneously, packaged, labelled, and served to the customer. There's no need or desire to replace a worker when you can replace the kitchen entirely.

I realize buying a $10k robot arm to replace a $30k employee is a nice idea, but it just seems so damn inefficient.
I just saw your comment, it basically goes with what I said above.

I'm an engineer (slowlane credentials, but fastlane opportunity too) and I just think all these arms are a waste.

They do a lot more than necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

This actually makes perfect sense to me.

I think they designed these bots with the idea to mimic human actions so no food quality is lost.
While I dont have any data to back this up, other than my own epxerience, automated food is always lacking in quality.
Also, having it done in a "normal kitchen" gives you the option to step in and "help" the robot.
Like oversee it, you know?

The make it or break it part of food bots I think would be with the food quality.
Thats the main problem that must be solved.
Automation is seems is pretty much done.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Automation is seems is pretty much done.
Lots of things to be improved or fixed actually.
- what does it cost to buy this thing?
- how much electricity does it use?
- how safe is it?
- how long does it take?
- how many omelets are discards, or not good enough or whatever (never zero)

I could make a really long list, but suffice to say, this is not the "perfect way" of doing this.

And I doubt there will ever be a "perfect" way to do anything, really! Improvement is constant.

(but yeah, I would strip it down even more, save money, electricity, time, motion, etc)

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
There might be second bottom to all those robotic arms - namely funding.

Look if one would say:
"We're gonna build 360 degrees robotic arm that flips burgers like real human and it uses Machine Learning and constantly improving AI! Are you in?"
Exciting, right?

Versus:
"We build assembly line for hamburgers"

I guess that it gets easier to get funding for whatever new buzzword is,
than for something that is boring but solves a problem actually.

P.S. "Did i mentioned that every burger is logged at blockchain?"

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
automated food is always lacking in quality.

Automation doesn't necessarily mean pre-packaged or mass-produced.

Pre-packaged and mass produced foods have unique issues that tend to affect quality - namely shelf stability, price sensitivity, etc.

If you want something as cheap as possible, you use lower quality foods and fillers and additives.
If you want something to last a long time, you use preservatives or less than ideal cooking/storage methods (freezing, drying, sterilization, etc).

Automation can be used to produce extremely high quality items. You just need the right inputs (high quality ingredients) and the right goal (a great tasting product).

Automation is nothing more or less than making something automatic. Whether you are using robotics to cook a $500 wagyu steak to the perfect temp or a package of freezer burned peas is completely separate from the value of the automation.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Automation doesn't necessarily mean pre-packaged or mass-produced.

Pre-packaged and mass produced foods have unique issues that tend to affect quality - namely shelf stability, price sensitivity, etc.

If you want something as cheap as possible, you use lower quality foods and fillers and additives.
If you want something to last a long time, you use preservatives or less than ideal cooking/storage methods (freezing, drying, sterilization, etc).

Automation can be used to produce extremely high quality items. You just need the right inputs (high quality ingredients) and the right goal (a great tasting product).

Automation is nothing more or less than making something automatic. Whether you are using robotics to cook a $500 wagyu steak to the perfect temp or a package of freezer burned peas is completely separate from the value of the automation.
Exactly.

You can make an extremely efficient machine, and just put top-notch ingredients in it.

It's very "mystical" or non-engineer or non-scientific to just assume it is going to suck because you "automated" it, whatever you think automation means!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
The first TV ads were an image with a radio ad played over it. The first form of anything is a mimic of the old form that it is replacing. Good opportunity to design a robot first kitchen design.

newzzy2

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 24, 2019
You don't need all those joints and all that motion to create an omelet when a robot that's basically a glorified conveyor belt could achieve the same thing.

You're probably right about that. If you're talking about conveyor belts, and you are looking for a reliable one, you should definitely consider about something like these roller conveyors which helped our company to achieve that goal of automation process. They produce nice and reliable items related to conveyors.

Last edited:

jclean

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Dec 9, 2016
This blew my mind: https://www.thelocal.fr/20210706/in-pictures-paris-new-robot-staffed-pizza-restaurant/

I dont know about you guys, but I`m getting in touch with them as soon as I find their contacts.

I read the following on the website in my eyes the most interesting

Example of the profitability of a distributor in France :
Based on a cost price of the pizza of €2.10 and a sales price of €8.70, you are profitable from 7 pizzas sold/day. With this minimum sale you are already making a profit. If you choose to buy the Smart Pizza, selling 22 pizzas/day will allow you to amortize its cost in 2 and a half years.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.