The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Audiobooks - Reclaiming your time

Lambo-Hunter

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jul 14, 2017
Sweden
I still read physical books every morning when I drink my coffee, but audiobooks are king when out n' about.

I tend to read the more serious books on actuall physical copys where I can highlight with a marker and really study the text.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jwhanke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Mar 26, 2018
Akron, OH
My favorite thing is going for a walk and listening to an audiobook. Getting your steps in, vitamin D, and learning, hard to beat! I typically listen at 1.5X times and 159 titles in my library (addicted to amazon sales.......)

Hijena1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Oct 1, 2018
Germany
I love audiobooks, but I find is that if I’m listening to an audiobook, I tend to get distracted or daze off and realized I haven’t been paying attention for the past few minutes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are not alone especially while driving and maybe the traffic is heavy. After 10 minutes realizing I did not comprehend absolutely anything. On top of that, it is, even more, harder when English is not your native language.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
You are not alone especially while driving and maybe the traffic is heavy. After 10 minutes realizing I did not comprehend absolutely anything. On top of that, it is, even more, harder when English is not your native language.
Scribd has different languages audiobooks and one month for free.

SkyLake

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Nov 29, 2016
These brings back memories of when I was a pizza driver.

I did that job for about 14 months and early on realized it could suck a bit less.. if I somehow managed to learn new things and get new perspectives.. from books, or if you will, audiobooks.

In that 14 months I listened to 100+ audiobooks. I listened to all the books at about 1.75x to 2.00x speed. Because once you get used to it, normal speed is just very slow.

Whenever I had 5 minutes of time I took notes of what I had just listened to, or went back to the book after work was over to revisit stuff.

I listened to everything from business books, biographies, autobiographies, fiction, non-fiction, kids books, classics, science and anything in between.

And I learned a shit ton.

I still listen to audiobooks whenever I can, they are such a god send.
Learning while doing chores\whatever? Hell yeah!

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
I love audiobooks.

I used to read on the way to and from work as I was on a quiet train, but now find myself on a noisy and crowded bus (further motivation btw), and audio books have been great for me.

The Millionaire Fastlane is what I'm listening to. Great listen.

David Field

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Apr 15, 2019
US Pacific Northwest
Who goes for listening and reading at the same time? I have heard this technique being used by some people for maximum retention but I am not sure too much noise lol.
I've found it helpful when I want to really dive deep into a book. It's how I consumed MJ's books (and still am re-"reading"). I use the audio mainly and make notes in the ebook and in a pocket notebook. Reading is also faster than listening, and there are plenty of times when it's more convenient, so Amazon's Whispersync feature is super useful.

David Field

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Apr 15, 2019
US Pacific Northwest
Mr992, try making a little time to sit and listen/read by itself next time you really want to get into a book. I listen during my 9-5 whenever I've got a mindless task, but sometimes even that is distracting enough that I realize I'm not actually getting everything I could from the book.

David Field

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Apr 15, 2019
US Pacific Northwest
Have you played Rocket League on Casual or Steep? Pick any spot in Steep and the playing is on autopilot. Plenty of mental space to focus on something else.

Try listening at 1x speed. I can't pay attention. It's like listening to George Bush give a speech. I forget what they're talking about. Speed it up to 1.5x+ and I'm all of a sudden engaged.
Hmm - what effect would listening to Bush at 2x have then? Put you to sleep faster?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Absolutely love audio books (and by extension podcasts) however, as has been noted its more difficult to absorb relevant information while on the move etc.. If I’m not driving I’ll either use a dictaphone, stop the audio and pop a note on my phone, or take a screen shot of the position of the audio so I can go back later and take proper notes.

I’m ‘studying’ a book at the moment and, although I have the audible version, I bought the kindle version too.

Wow, what a game changer whispersync is. Listening on the Kindle app while displaying the book means its much easier to absorb the information especially as it highlights the text as it goes along (and turns the pages). It’s also so easy to highlight and annotate relevant paragraphs as I go and then export afterwards. No good for times when you want to multitask but if you need a Deep Work session it makes learning and researching that much more efficient. Downside of course is that you are buying twice.

OliverR

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Jan 28, 2012
EU
Ha Ha, I'm like that as well. Love audiobooks in concept, but when I multitask with them (driving, treadmill, etc.) I tend to lose focus. Guess it really is a case-by-case basis and doing what works for you.
I've worked up my listening speed to about 2.5-3.5X (depends on how fast the narrator is) over the past 3 or 4 years. Anything below 2.5 feels slow and will get me distracted. Will explain shortly.

First let's borrow a principle from speed reading. The logic is that the faster you read the more focused you become and the less room there is for other thoughts to come in. So paradoxically the faster you read the higher the comprehension becomes since you are more focused on the task at hand.

For me this is the principle I use for audiobooks. When I first started using this format it took me around 3 books to really get used to the format at first and was able to start absorbing information this way and feel like comprehension started to grow. Once i got used to it then I started noticing my thoughts drifting from time to time and obviously when you loose focus comprehension goes to zero.

The method I used to tackle this was to speed up the audio to first 1.25X once that felt "normal" then went to 1.5X and so on and now I'm comfortably on 2.5X or higher depending on the narrator speed which feels like normal speed but still keeps me engaged so I don't loose focus. Generally if I re-read something I can take it 1 or 2 levels higher.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Am I the only here who cannot do both things at the same time? (lets say workout and listen to audiobooks effectively) Even though I like audibooks, I feel my retention of what I read is much higher compared to when I listen.
According to peer review studies, audiobooks while multitasking is NO BUENO:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
@MJ DeMarco - i think this thread should be Notable. I do the same thing and it's an amazing use of time.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
A big thank you to everyone, because of this thread I signed up for Scribd and have found very valuable books/audiobooks for free and have been able to listen to some gems while doing adm work which is brilliant.

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
When I was starting my business I would listen to 2 to 3 audio books a week while packing and shipping customer orders. I loved it.

My employees now do all the packing, shipping and mundane tasks I used to enjoy and leverage as my education time. And sadly the tasks I now do at my desk don't seem to be compatible with absorbing information in audio format.

I still listen when I can while driving etc but have cancelled my audible subscription as I have a backlog of about 12 books to get through.

I'm currently listening to shoe dog and measure what matters

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
I read roughly 2-3 self-help books per month depending on the size of the book (30 min to an hour daily reading). Originally started with paperbacks, then finally made the move to the kindle/e-books and absolutely love it and the ability to highlight, quickly define words, etc. It's made my vocabulary expand and I can also export all of the highlighted notes via email.

I also write notes as I read, or at the end of each chapter, as it's absolutely essential to take notes while reading self-help books (take notes on that for those who don't take notes!)

Anyway, I've never tried out audiobooks because I've always felt like I'll get too easily distracted (seems like some others in this thread have the same concern) and totally forget what the person speaking was just saying.

How do you combat this?

Even if I'm just sitting down and listening with no distractions in sight, I'll probably go on my own thought path more likely than not every so often...

I'm definitely open to trying, as I want to consume more information and knowledge (aka read way more books), and have been trying to look into ways to speed up my reading (but then I just don't process the information as well and begin to rush).

I'm mostly concerned with retaining the info, as what's the point of reading it if you're not going to actually absorb it and then apply what you like into your life!?

For those avid audiobook listeners, what's the most optimal route to take here?

Thanks.

I'm sure you sometimes find your mind wanders while reading and you'll simply go back and re-read the passages where you lost focus. You can use the 30 second rewind function on an audio book for the same thing.

Practice will help. You'll soon learn the times and activities that work best for you.

lydialeads

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
May 29, 2019
One of the things I love about The Millionaire Fastlane is that it's the book MJ said he would have wanted to be handed that day at the ice cream shop.

One of the many things I wish I had stumbled upon earlier in life is audiobooks.

I've been trying to read a book a week for the last ten years. I've done pretty well at that, but it's hard. You have to find the time to read. I would try and read with my head hunched over into my phone while reading a book on kindle walking to lunch. I would try and read while going to bed and fall asleep doing so (which has to be great for retention rates). I would try and read while doing cardio at the gym. I even tried it on a tablet. I did a lot of trying over those years.

Since I got on the audiobook train, I've been reading two books a week without even trying.

Driving to work? I listen to an audiobook.
Go to lunch? I listen to an audiobook.
Drive home from work? I listen to an audiobook.
Cook dinner? I listen to an audiobook.
Taking out the trash? I listen to an audiobook.
Cleaning up my cat's shit? I listen to an audiobook.
Taking a break from life and playing a video game (Rocket League or Steep!)? I listen to an audiobook.

According to my app's stats, I somehow find an extra 15 hours each week to read. That's 15 hours I used to spend on stupid mundane aspects of life that I've turned into a learning opportunity.

I use Audible with a Platinum membership and re-up at about $9.50 a book. I have the wireless Galaxy Icon X headphpones and got the new Galaxy Buds with my S10+, so I'm fully untethered. At the pace I read at, I typically get through about two books a week, or 80-120 books a year. This makes it possible to read nearly everything that people are talking about. Principles by Ray Dalio? Got it. Measure What Matters to learn about OKRs? No problem. Simon Sinek? Sure there was his TED talk, but do you know about Leaders Eat Last? Market Wizards who? Bullshit stories that all success is luck by Malcolm Gladwell? Mmhmm.

Ultimately, it ends up being a $1000 investment a year to turn your 780 mundane hours of life into a learning opportunity. Would you invest $1.28 an hour to improve your life?

I do.
I have nothing against audiobooks, but I prefer good old reading. I read faster than the pace of the audio, so it just helps me save more time. I also like to take notes and highlight while reading, so I can always go back to it for reference. Kindle has been great for me. It's on my phone and I can take it anywhere. I guess whatever works, works!

NVious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 12, 2015
Book summaries at 2.3-3x=life.

Brb read entire book in 15 minutes

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
According to a little Vietnamese woman I met at the airport, you can contact Audible support and change your membership to Silver which will half your monthly bill and credit allowance.

I listen to the same books over and over so I don't need a new one each month.

Also, and I'm not sure if I would do this, you can contact them and return books no questions asked.

This girl had a ton of books downloaded on her phone that she had returned. She even tells them she wants to return it so she can download another one. They don't care... It's all digital anyway.

A good tip for those of us on a small budget.

TLDR: Audible can be treated like a library for ~7 bucks a month.

SeePetey

Highly Trained Ape
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 8, 2012
Elsewhere
I love audiobooks, but I find is that if I’m listening to an audiobook, I tend to get distracted or daze off and realized I haven’t been paying attention for the past few minutes!
I'm the same. The ex helped make sure I got real good at tuning things out. I haven't caught myself saying "uh huh..." yet though lol.

Another thing I hate is when I'm driving down the road and the author says, "Now this is important. Take out a pencil and make a list of...." with repeated warnings not to skip this step.

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 11, 2019
Europe
Currently there are many books for sale at 2 for 1 credit on Audible. It's just for 2 more days, so be quick! I'm still figuring out which ones I'll buy

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Quick question - Do any of you listen to the audiobook and read the book at the same time, or do you read a certain book and then listen to a entirely different audiobook?

Just wondering because was curious if it sinks in more by consuming both at the same time or if at made no difference by trying to hit two birds with one stone

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
Reading Grant Cardone Obsession right now and funny enough he mentions, dont read hundreds of books and get lost in all that information read a few books and turn those books into your bible and reread them again and again until that information is second nature...funny enough obsession wasent my favorite book it was more of a motivational rant (hiring section was gold though lots of notes)

yes this the pareto principle at work

20 % of the books deliver 80 % of the content on a subject.

great books should be annoted and read once a month

it reminds me of motivational speaker Bob Proctor

the guy has been reading his copy of "think and grow rich" EVERY DAY FOR 50 YEARS !!

View: https://youtu.be/BrN6PscajJs?t=67

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Great post. Also, if there's an app called Voice Dream Reader for those books that there's no Audible version for:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn_TZBevNw4

The voices were a little robotic, but you get used to them and you can still consume information at an amazing rate with it.

You can also sync it with your Instapaper, Pocket, Evernote, etc to have an article list read to you.

Also, the first thread I ever posted on this forum was one on how to convert eBooks to Audiobooks, I think that 1-2 books per day was an exaggeration unless they're really short books, but you get the point:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Even better than eBooks sometimes is book summaries. While it's not going to give you the full picture, I find that these summaries usually do a good job of encapsulating the most important ideas from a book or audiobook. Sometimes it's simply not worth devoting 8+ hours to one idea, and ~15 minutes is more sufficient. You can usually pull 80% of the good info with a summary (80/20 principle). And if you really find the summary compelling, you still have the option to buy the book or audiobook. It's almost like a sampler.

Some good methods to find them:

• Subscription summary services - good companies include: Blinkist, getabstract, Philosophers Notes

• TED Talks - often you can find a good summary of an author's book in their TED talks

• YouTube - There are many channels dedicated to providing summaries of books. Just search "Insert Book Here Summary" on YouTube.

• Review articles - Search "Insert Book Here Review" on Google

• Summary articles - Search "Insert Book Here Summary" on Google

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
I listen to audio books almost exclusively anymore. I am reading one real estate hardback at the moment but listen to 2 or 3 books weekly.
Generally, I listen to 90% at 1.8X, and once in awhile 2X if it is not business related.
It's like slow motion if I listen at normal speed anymore.

I do the same with youtube vids only at 1.5X

Retention? I feel it is about the same as I used to retain when I listened at normal speed, but I haven't personally tested that myself.

I rarely listen to music anymore unless I'm writing, which is rare. Audio books have replaced music for me, at least for the moment.

Would be open to experimenting with uploading knowledge to my brain if possible. :smuggy:

Scientists Claim to ‘Upload Knowledge Into the Brain’ Using Matrix-Style Device

Have any audiobooks that stood out more than the others?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Guys I'm gonna make a thread on this but there are a couple ways to get your iPhone to read any text (book, article, webpage, whatever) to you in the nice, clean SIRI voice. The new one sounds great when reading out loud. It's essentially like converting any book to an audiobook.

This is one method. You just swipe down with 2 fingers and the entire page is read aloud to you.

The other method is VoiceOver. If people are interested let me know and I'll prioritize writing the thread and put it up within the week. Otherwise I'm just gonna do it whenever.

Last edited:

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
TMF was my first audiobook, and back then it worked a treat. But now I need the book in my hand.

I keep podcasts for audio while I'm training or doing other stuff.

You can't scribble in an audiobook haha. But.. it's a great option to have in a pinch. When I first heard about TMF and was keen as mustard to start reading it, I was away at work for a month in a remote location and had no chance to get a physical copy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.