The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

At a crossroad. My aunt, job opportunity, future

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
4 months ago, my aunt told me she could get me to be hire at her job. 17k a year. $9-$10 an hr. It's a great job and all, if I just wanted a normal job without a college degree, but it's now 5 months.... and NOW they are finally interested in me. I would love to have work there in the past, but now, that desire isn't there. I change a WHOLE lot as a human being, since I know exactly what I want from life, and right now I need capital.

Another job opportunity came into the picture, I sent out "stripping" applications to best clubs in many states, and one is willing to hire me/fly me down there. I imagine the money is amazing down there, since it's Florida, St. Lauderdale (resort city, money). I should be able to pull $300 a night easily, and that's just about enough to make me say it's worth it going down there. By the way, I refund my California trip, since the money isn't good there anymore.

Now, I feel horrible that I am either going to work my aunt's job for 2 weeks, or just decline the whole thing, but I want to work there for 2 weeks just to save up some extra money. If they hire me, I haven't gone to the interview yet, but it should be easy enough, entry level. I feel bad enough, that I might just stay here.... but I know that's only detrimental to my sanity, health, and well-being. But I still feel horrible.... has anyone gone through an experience like this before??

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser8117

If you want more money, go to florida. I went there 3 times and you'll love the weather. And people are pretty calm and laid back. And you'll have some fun obviously if you want to be a "stripper".

AmyQ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 5, 2013
Please reconsider. I live in Vegas. I am not a prude and have nothing against stripping, or even legal prostitution, but many things in your post lead me to think you are not ready for this lifestyle.

1. "I imagine the money is amazing down there" Never make a decision or enter employment based on what you imagine. Many clubs these days charge YOU for dancing. You have to pay them rent even if it is a slow night. You need to get all of the financial details in writing before you accept an offer. You also need to speak with women who are already employed at the club. Any club that you would want to work for will gladly provide you with both.

2. "17k a year. $9-$10 an hr. It's a great job and all" There is no shame in working. My first job was washing dishes for minimum wage. I did it all throughout high school. However, I didn't think it was a great job. The fact that you think this is a good job makes me worry that you aren't building the foundation you need for long term success, and that you don't see a lot of opportunities around you. What are your specific and concrete plans to build your skills while you work as a stripper? You don't need to give me an answer, but please answer it yourself.

There are many women in my city who used stripping to get them where they wanted to go. I am not saying it can't be done, but you need to have your eyes wide open before you enter this field (financial details). You also need a concrete and definite goal with specific, actionable, measurable, and scheduled steps along the way. If you don't use your free time and capital very carefully while you strip, all you will have at the end is a skill set that will no longer be marketable due to age.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Please step outside yourself and realize you are asking a very simple question that MILLIONS OF PEOPLE go and decide, on their own, or with friend's input, or ...i guess, by asking on the internet.

Now. Let's suppose someone else is asking this, and break it down.

Unemployment in this country sucks, someone in their 20's is looking for a job. (because they need $ for something down the line they figured)

choice A. - $9-10/hr. For someone in their 20's, that's rough. Unless there is much career/skills growth here, this might be gettable down the street.

choice B. Stripping. A plan Z for many women out there. Not a really good way to keep a stable lifestyle, very few tough minded ones can last and not fall into the danger pit. I am afraid this isn't the case with this 20 year old. Also, summer is very slow in fort Lauderdale. Stripping is also very hard to get out of, and it is usually a step down, not up. A very poor choice overall.

Choice C. Neither one of those, to do something else and get a job.

Step outside yourself more often, see how the country/world is currently doing, what someone else would do with these choices if he/she wants to have a better tomorrow!

Amy, Speed++

Era

Light Warrior
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Oct 20, 2012
Lights,

What industry is this $9-$10 an hour job? Is it business related or related to an industry you want to get into? It's a clear choice if this is a job that you could acquire new knowledge and skills.

The best lessons in life are typically priceless. You will learn lessons in both paths. Although one path might make you hit rock bottom before you realize the the lesson. Take your time and think these decisions through, because it will shape your future.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
There are a lot better jobs you can get with no college degree. Working at a bank will give you an automatic 10-15 for being a teller or something else. 9/hr is rough and isn't that much. After taxes you're talking about like 1000 a month, if that.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Medical, but nothing serious
If I take the job its just for honor so she doesnt look like a fool.

---
If the strip club was like the one I work at then no...extras, cheapos, and drugs (i dont engage). Yet I felt better there than min wage at my age.... That was a dive. But I love it... so much fun, thatd why I love the industry easiest money ever.

Theres no club worse than a Detroit dive

AmyQ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 5, 2013
Concerning the technician job:

If you are worried about burning a bridge for your aunt, then don't take the job. As an employer, I can tell you that I wouldn't care at all if you declined a position that I hadn't even interviewed you for. No time, effort or money lost on my end.

However, if your aunt recommends you and then I take the time to hire and train you, only to have you leave two weeks later, I am going to be unhappy that my time was wasted. I am also going to question your aunt's judgement.

Back to stripping:

Your life and your business are your own, but I am hoping that you will share how you hope to leverage your time as a stripper - what skills you hope to gain and learn, and how you hope to achieve your goals. Having a job that is "so much fun" isn't why you are here. You have bigger aspirations.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
lol

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Just because you think you can make six figures dancing in Florida, does not mean it will help you get to your goals more quickly. On the other hand, 17k vs let's say 60k (worse case) and you SHOULD come out ahead stripping. But the "skill" of getting on that pole is one that has a short shelf life. Because it doesn't matter how good you can work the pole, your body isn't going to stay the same many years down the road. Just guessing here, the lifestyle (lots of cash, partying) probably isn't ideal for sticking to a budget, saving cash, ect).

Just using common sense here, you can find a better job than 17k per year without working the pole. I would work your aunts job, look for a better not or hustle on the side (search hustle on our forums) and read/learn work on your plan until you find a better job. When you get the better job, keep learning and working towards your fastlane plans.

Just my two cents, but I just think the extra cash now isn't worth the other risk that is going to come with living in the stripper lifestyle.

If you do decide to dance, be on the look out for T-Pain.

4 months ago, my aunt told me she could get me to be hire at her job. 17k a year. $9-$10 an hr. It's a great job and all, if I just wanted a normal job without a college degree, but it's now 5 months.... and NOW they are finally interested in me. I would love to have work there in the past, but now, that desire isn't there. I change a WHOLE lot as a human being, since I know exactly what I want from life, and right now I need capital.

Another job opportunity came into the picture, I sent out "stripping" applications to best clubs in many states, and one is willing to hire me/fly me down there. I imagine the money is amazing down there, since it's Florida, St. Lauderdale (resort city, money). I should be able to pull $300 a night easily, and that's just about enough to make me say it's worth it going down there. By the way, I refund my California trip, since the money isn't good there anymore.

Now, I feel horrible that I am either going to work my aunt's job for 2 weeks, or just decline the whole thing, but I want to work there for 2 weeks just to save up some extra money. If they hire me, I haven't gone to the interview yet, but it should be easy enough, entry level. I feel bad enough, that I might just stay here.... but I know that's only detrimental to my sanity, health, and well-being. But I still feel horrible.... has anyone gone through an experience like this before??

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
You could easily make 17k a year following the advice on the "hustling" thread on this forum.

I used to work as a cocktail waitress at all-night nightclubs when I was in college - I made $300+ nightly. It's not the same as stripping, exactly, but there were a lot of similarities (skimpy clothes, lots of quick cash, extremely drunk men, and the partying lifestyle was all around). I hated every second of it, since I've never been one to partake in partying. I guess you don't mind the atmosphere, but I will agree with those that say that it takes a very strong person to come out ahead when there are potential danger pits and wrong paths that will face you ever day.

It's not always about what makes you the most money. If I wanted to, I could work at a nightclub again, but it's just not always about what makes you the most money - at least, not for me.

I guess I just worry... it's a slippery slope down the wrong path.

Best of luck :)

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Thanks everyone for all your advice, and now that I am thinking about, this thread is borderline stupid. lol.

The situation isn't which one is better, since I know stripping(completely depends on the place) is better by a long shot than the other job. I thought it over, and I am going to go to call up the manager that I lost interest in the job, explain that a better job has been offer, and I am grateful for the opportunity. I'll then tell my aunt the same thing, and relocate out of here as soon as I can. That way, she won't think anything of it, and if she does, then oh well.... I have to look after myself before anyone else.

Thanks AmyQ.

As far as the stripping lifestyle goes, I am pretty much the most conservative person when it comes to the "night" life, and the only reason why it's fun is because I feel like a movie star (like Marilyn Monroe in Ladies of the Carol, or Scarlet at 12 oaks). Lot of glamour/press/opportunities in this industry. Although the bottom line, I am just after money, and I happen to find something I enjoy a lot that pays better than minimum wage. And if I don't do it, I won't be as happy, I dare say, it's one of my passions.

Although it's not my life passion, I want to get enough money to buy another house, fix it up, go to college/medical school, and become a doctor in Florida. I have to do that, and I don't care if that's slowlane.

I also want to open a restaurant idea I have, but that cost money too. The recipes are based of Atlanta food/soul food, and it's going to be a "fancy" but affordable restaurant in poverty stricken cities with a high African American population.... Although I need 100k for that idea, at least.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.