The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Aspiring Entrepreneur Ready To Go Fast Lane

ChrisKyle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 29, 2015
Hi there,

My name is Chris Kyle. I am currently enrolled in college about to start my junior year. I really haven't decided on a major but I would say business management is the direction I'm heading. I recently discovered this website and went ahead and read TMF . This book was definitely a mind changer and made me realize that this is what I was meant to do. I have many friends who our excited about getting their degrees and starting jobs, but for some reason nothing about that really got me excited. I have had many entrepreneurial efforts in the past. My ultimate fear is having to work for someone else. I like being in control and I don't like others trying to lead my life and force it in a certain direction I am not okay with. I got really into the internet at the age of 14 and played around and decided to create my own website. I was hooked. To date, I have created about 5-10 websites, all for fun and play. Many were just because I was bored and had nothing to do. I looked into ways of monetization online and I discovered internet marketing. I found it intriguing how people were literally earning an income from selling other peoples products over the internet. After a few failed attempts at this, I decided to move onto other things. Its not that I had given up on internet marketing, I just found an interest in other things. I currently have two things Im working on. I have a parody twitter account that I hope to use to raise a bit of funds for the business I'm wanting to start. I put up a good chunk of my own cash to grow this account, only knowing that I will be able to monetize it in the future to earn an income that can save me time, and cause me not to get a minimum wage job. The parody twitter is about to hit 100k followers and when it does I will be monetizing it via cha cha ad links. I intend to use any money made through this account to fund my business idea. I have an idea that has to do with a product that already exists. I feel that I can improve this product and make it better.

Being new here, I was wondering if I could ask a few questions to other members.

What is the best major if your ultimate goal is to run your own business and be an entrepreneur?

What is everyone else's opinions on college?

Does having a degree honestly help me at all if my goal is to run my own business?

What is the best place to get started learning essentials/skills I might need to learn to run my own business?

Its great to meet everyone and I'm glad to be part of such a great community.

Thanks again,

Chris Kyle

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
A Chris Kyle parody account?

OzzieRob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 3, 2013
Perth, Australia
What is everyone else's opinions on college?

Does having a degree honestly help me at all if my goal is to run my own business?

What is the best place to get started learning essentials/skills I might need to learn to run my own business?

Hey Chris,

It seems like to me that you are going to do well in future business as you have already tried several internet businesses and have not yet given up.

I have a business degree in Accounting and Marketing and it does help me know how the business side of things work such as Cashflow, Profit and Loss statement, Balance sheet. I do all my own bookkeeping as i have a small online business so it definately saves me having to hire a bookkeeper. Marketing will help a lot for you to understand about copywriting and how consumers think so you can better your business.

If you want to run a big business or company it would be a good idea to start a small business successfuly first and keep it growing. Once successful you could take part time studies for an Entrepreneur course or business degree to understand the inner workings of your business.

Running your own business does not require a degree as many successful entrepreneurs don't have one. Richard Branson did not know how to read a profit and loss statement so that may give you insight on how important a college degree really is.

I hope that helps a little.

Cheers
Rob

DawnW

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Feb 2, 2015
I'm also a newbie :)

Great start. My daughter is a junior as well and I've been trying to convince her that college is the perfect time to get into the habit to continuously improve her skill set. Yes, it's important for her to finish but it wont mean as much if she can't communicate effectively, analyze, execute, etc. I did however give her the option to start a business right away vs. college.

Good luck!

ChrisKyle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 29, 2015
Hey Chris,

It seems like to me that you are going to do well in future business as you have already tried several internet businesses and have not yet given up.

I have a business degree in Accounting and Marketing and it does help me know how the business side of things work such as Cashflow, Profit and Loss statement, Balance sheet. I do all my own bookkeeping as i have a small online business so it definately saves me having to hire a bookkeeper. Marketing will help a lot for you to understand about copywriting and how consumers think so you can better your business.

If you want to run a big business or company it would be a good idea to start a small business successfuly first and keep it growing. Once successful you could take part time studies for an Entrepreneur course or business degree to understand the inner workings of your business.

Running your own business does not require a degree as many successful entrepreneurs don't have one. Richard Branson did not know how to read a profit and loss statement so that may give you insight on how important a college degree really is.

I hope that helps a little.

Cheers
Rob
I completely see where your coming from. I plan on graduating in the next 2 years and experimenting with many more ventures/ideas I may have in the time prior. My problem is, I just don't know what kind of business I want to start. Any advice for someone who knows they want to be an entrepreneur but just not sure which direction to head?

OzzieRob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 3, 2013
Perth, Australia
I completely see where your coming from. I plan on graduating in the next 2 years and experimenting with many more ventures/ideas I may have in the time prior. My problem is, I just don't know what kind of business I want to start. Any advice for someone who knows they want to be an entrepreneur but just not sure which direction to head?

Hi Chris,

I find that i get many more business ideas when i read autobiographies as i can to see first hand how Entrepreneurs think. Once you work out that they often struggle with finding a business niche it makes you feel that they didn't get wealthy without a lot of trial and error.
As you read, see if any ideas popup in you head. Browse around on ebay and amazon and take out some magazines from the library such Inc, BRW, Fortune etc
I find that travelling opens up a lot of opportunities for ideas as you see things that can be improved on back home. Entrepreneurs keep failing until they get into the right business or changed to a different path such as retail to wholesale in the same business. The question you ask is the million dollar question that we all struggle to work out. Sometimes you need a jolt to get started. If you imagine your family only had a short time to live but could be saved if you came up with a way to raise $100,000, could you do it? I think you could ! As the saying goes "Burn your bridges and don't look back". All the best wishes.
Cheers
Rob

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
If your ultimate goal is to be an entrepreneur, you should focus on that goal and do it now.

To aid yourself as an entrepreneur is the wrong reason to go to college.

You should go to college because you want to have a level of mastery in a field of study.

There are many successful entrepreneurs who have college degrees, and many who don't.

Anyways, this has been debated in many other threads here.

ChrisKyle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 29, 2015
If your ultimate goal is to be an entrepreneur, you should focus on that goal and do it now.

To aid yourself as an entrepreneur is the wrong reason to go to college.

You should go to college because you want to have a level of mastery in a field of study.

There are many successful entrepreneurs who have college degrees, and many who don't.

Anyways, this has been debated in many other threads here.
My parents are currently supporting me and requiring me to go to college. My major is Business management, so at least its relatable. In my free time I read books, brainstorm ideas, and learn about entrepreneurship. Basically I can't leave college until I'm supporting myself. So I'm working on that now. I feel like it won't hurt to get the degree being I only have 2 years left anyways.

ChrisKyle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 29, 2015
Hi Chris,

I find that i get many more business ideas when i read autobiographies as i can to see first hand how Entrepreneurs think. Once you work out that they often struggle with finding a business niche it makes you feel that they didn't get wealthy without a lot of trial and error.
As you read, see if any ideas popup in you head. Browse around on ebay and amazon and take out some magazines from the library such Inc, BRW, Fortune etc
I find that travelling opens up a lot of opportunities for ideas as you see things that can be improved on back home. Entrepreneurs keep failing until they get into the right business or changed to a different path such as retail to wholesale in the same business. The question you ask is the million dollar question that we all struggle to work out. Sometimes you need a jolt to get started. If you imagine your family only had a short time to live but could be saved if you came up with a way to raise $100,000, could you do it? I think you could ! As the saying goes "Burn your bridges and don't look back". All the best wishes.
Cheers
Rob
Great advice, thank you for your insight.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...