The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Articles to keep you from being a Wantapreneur: post here please!

LynetteP

This will be car photo when I get a rocket again
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 13, 2018
Tennessee
I was thinking it would be great if anyone else had *short articles* for learning, to keep them all together by topic. So I'm hoping others will suggest other sources here on this thread.

Here's my suggested read. While I disagree with it about avoiding all luxury, point 2 about needing an identity shift hit home, and the rest of it makes a lot of sense. I'm having to unlearn the wrong mindset right now, so I'm taking action on that (while trying to sell something- anything- to get this ball rolling, which I think all that's needed to cement things in my mind). I've sold things before; even a $4000 ring, sight unseen, over the phone. I forgot I CAN sell stuff, because other people said I can't or shouldn't or it's too risky to have a business. Mindshift: I AM A DOER. Thanks @MidwestLandlord for the inspiration, and I hope this article helps another newbie!

How To Know If You’ll Be Successful – Thrive Global – Medium

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Brad S

Bronze Contributor
Jan 23, 2014
New Jersey
The problem is that it is a wantrepreneur thing to read and post articles about NOT being a wantrepreneur.

I say this as someone who has read a TON of articles and books in the past thinking the answers to entrepreneurial greatness can be found in them.

They cannot.

Thinking for yourself is the answer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

LynetteP

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 13, 2018
Tennessee
The problem is that it is a wantrepreneur thing to read and post articles about NOT being a wantrepreneur.

I say this as someone who has read a TON of articles and books in the past thinking the answers to entrepreneurial greatness can be found in them.

They cannot.

Thinking for yourself is the answer.

Appreciate and understand the sentiment entirely. Yes, I did see the irony before I posted. :)

However, this entire section is for education, learning and books. I would hope that *shorter versions* of what is already categorized as an acceptable topic by the owner of the forums would be welcome.

You cannot simply do, when you don't know *what* to do.

You cannot avoid doing things that are not helpful when you don't know that they aren't helpful.

Articles would seem to be more Fastlane than books, and if I'm not mistaken, mindset is job number one. If mindset is incorrect, you can't move forward. (If you've never been there, you probably can't relate to this.)

And if you don't know what's wrong with your mindset, how on earth can you fix it? Hence the post.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
when you don't know *what* to do.

How can you not know what to do?

If you're laying on a railroad track and a train is approaching, do you know what to do?

You "don't know what to do" because you are not being problem/solution oriented.

LynetteP

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 13, 2018
Tennessee
How can you not know what to do?

If you're laying on a railroad track and a train is approaching, do you know what to do?

You "don't know what to do" because you are not being problem/solution oriented.

So it's taken me awhile to decide how to respond. Because *thank God* (and I mean that as sincerely as possible), you cannot imagine the scenario that some might be dealing with:

You look down at yourself, tied down with ropes to the railroad tracks. You are thankful that you are an adult and not a baby, and raised in a country that have trains so you know the danger, only to discover... your arms are missing. Now you have to figure out how to get out by using your toes, or *anything* else that might work.

Just noise? Yes. But sometimes it's deafening.

A young man showed up at my bible study group in Texas. He had just gotten back to the states only to discover that his two boys (both under the age of 4) were in foster care because his wife had abandoned them while he was gone. He got the boys, and started coming to study group. I gave him a bible for toddlers, thinking that's what the boys needed.

He never attended worship service, just study group. I finally asked him why he wasn't in the service also. He said he really wanted to go, but also said something about too many people, too few exits, and Afghanistan. I also inquired, and found out he had never been to church in his life (much like me a few years before). Why start coming? Because he had seen and participated in things that he knew he should feel bad about, but didn't. And it concerned him. So he was looking for answers. I'm glad I gave him a children's bible- a KJV was not what he needed at the time either!

After many, many months, I spotted him not in the back row, but standing against the back wall for just part of the service. 10 minutes- maybe. Eventually, I knew he would be able to sit down like everyone else.

HOW he managed to get himself in there the first time, I don't know. He had to problem solve it in a way that I couldn't help him with. But somebody did. Was there a danger? Of course not- but it was still a problem that had to be solved.

So I'm here standing against the back wall, looking for answers, ready to learn and do, reading my bible for children, and wanting to sit down like everyone else.

Yes, it may take some of us awhile longer to get into the church service. But we really want to go. Please don't knock us (too bad!) for coming in for just 10 minutes the first time.

I am not a whiner, not a complainer, and this is *literally* the very first time in my entire life anyone has ever told me I am not a problem solver. But my uncle told me a couple of years ago that I have had a hard life, which came to me as a surprise. He is retired 3 star General, a Vietnam Vet, and trusted advisor to many. I trust his judgment too, so I'm thinking some of my problems that need solving are possibly different than you would imagine.

So, for the sake of those people who have an Afghanistan (or a few of them), please be patient with us.

Just because some of us are slower, or have more questions, or seemingly stupid questions, doesn't necessarily mean we are lazy, undisciplined, or non-problem solvers. Some of us are just now looking around to make sure we've got all our limbs. And some of us might actually be missing some. There's no reason we can't succeed, just takes a little longer to problem solve untying yourself when you're missing an arm.

And just as with all my previous posts, it is extremely difficult for me to anticipate how someone might respond to what I say. So I apologize if it somehow is offensive, or comes off as anything other than thankful for the opportunity to learn and do. And I appreciate your answers, as they were both appropriate. And please forgive my tome.

And now, I need to get back to designing. The engineering firm is waiting.

Thank you for the opportunity to respond, and I hope you both have a wonderful day!

Brad S

Bronze Contributor
Jan 23, 2014
New Jersey
I am not a whiner, not a complainer, and this is *literally* the very first time in my entire life anyone has ever told me I am not a problem solver. But my uncle told me a couple of years ago that I have had a hard life, which came to me as a surprise. He is retired 3 star General, a Vietnam Vet, and trusted advisor to many. I trust his judgment too, so I'm thinking some of my problems that need solving are possibly different than you would imagine.

This isn't about YOUR problems.

This is about solving OTHER PEOPLE'S problems and they will give you MONEY in return.

The more people and the more important the problem, the more money you will make.

This is a business forum.

Not a self help or religion forum.

The focus of your thinking is off.

Read the Millionaire Fastlane .

Read Unscripted .

Hopefully you will understand then.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
you cannot imagine the scenario that some might be dealing with:
I think he can imagine, he's been there if you read his book. I agree with him, because frankly, if you can imagine where your scenario doesn't solve financial problems, the bible doesn't come save you from your circumstances and doesn't solve your financial problems or find solutions to financial problems.

The Bible teaches you about love, relationships, morals, ethics, and a standard of living. A Christian lifestyle. It may give you a few scriptures on finances and serving the community, how to be polite, loving, compassionate, giving, forgiving, and virtues.

You can pray all day, have a prayer chain going on around he world, and still you have to have the right coping skills, life skills, problem solving skills, be able to adapt, adjust, problem shoot like MacGyver, and if you're sitting around waiting for someone to show up at times you're pretty screwed if you don't know how to help yourself. Eventually the person has to take some kind of action to better there lives, and help themselves.

I don't mean to offend you, but I'm a Human Service Worker, and understand we have a lot of social issues and social problems because the majority of people out their don't know how to problem solve, and have the right mindset, education, coping skills, and more worried about getting high, drunk, having sex, partying, having a good old time, and when life hits hard, don't understand at all why they're in the situation they're in, and how on earth did they get there, blame it on everyone else, and it's everyone else's fault why they don't have an education, why they don't have a job, why they have bad relationships, why their children are in foster care, why their children are taken away, and I watched a woman go to church every weekend, go home and yell at her kids all day and abuse them, date a drunk, and another woman screaming outside because the neighbors were watching her fight with her boyfriend and being a lunatic.

I've watched so many scenario's where people don't know why they're in the situation they're in, and it all comes down to their life choices, their belief system, and not getting past their fears, taking the help when it's provided, not wanting to follow rules, restrictions, policies, procedures, and even if the bible is tossed in the mix, they don't use it, they still don't comply, and they quit and give up, because it's too hard to show up for appointments, do what they're asked , to budget money, go apply for jobs, or show up for class or training when it is given.

There resistant to change, and If you go volunteer at your local non-profit, you will see what I mean. They don't want to change in some cases. If you study Ruby Payne, you will see there are those who are honestly wanting to help themselves and others who do not.

People make a choice to be where they are, and they don't want to help themselves truly, because if they did, than they would do what they're meant to do, and be on their way.

When you enable them, baby them, and allow them to play victim, they just live off the system for generations and teach their children to follow in the same emotional and mental patterns, and do nothing.

I hate to say all that, but you just have to go to your local college and listen to college students who are welfare, dressed up in nice clothes, new hair dues, nice finger nails, and then they sit down, and complain while they're getting a free education, how under privelaged they are, how they have five kids, and how they don't get enough money from the state, but they have their nice bible out on the desk, and than giving that speech. Complain about how hard it is in life.

I watched this the whole time I was going to college. And I rolled my eyes, because they blamed me and my anscestor's for why they're life didn't turn out for them in the 2,000's. And in My Cultural Diversity Course this was a huge discussion. I stated back then, they had the same opportunity that year as me to sit in that same classroom and learn the same education. They got a free education while I paid for mine on student loans.

I 've talked to all kinds of people online on reddit, facebook, google plus, twitter, virtual reality games and you will find the same scenario. You can read it on blogs, you can listen to them on You Tube, you can find them anywhere and any place complaining about life, and I just don't even listen to it much since 2015. There are a zillion excuses why they hang out on video games and social media, instead of educating themselves online. There are tons of Universities and College's, Open Source, this forum, and I rolled my eyes the last two days because some kid was ranting about his life, pointed out resources, and the response, I already tried everything, and made up some excuse. I didn't help him after that, because I gave him what he wanted someone to listen to him, pointed out resources, gave him ideas how to correct his problems, and still he didn't want to do anything. Many people are like this.

Problem solving is necessary in life period. Problem shooting is necessary. You either know how to help yourself or keep going around in circles complaining why your life sucks because you keep doing the same thing you've always done, instead of getting off the victim mentality, and taking a different road.

While it may be a process, a lot of work, a lot of sacrifice, you really have to take personal responsibility for your life, your time, your relationships, your choices, your thoughts, your emotions, your actions, your communication style, your attitude, your excuses, and learn to solve your own problems first and than be an Entrepreneur who helps solve the world's problems. If you haven't mastered the first part you can't master the second part.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Stop talking. Stop reading. Start doing.

LynetteP

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 13, 2018
Tennessee
I think he can imagine, he's been there if you read his book. I agree with him, because frankly, if you can imagine where your scenario doesn't solve financial problems, the bible doesn't come save you from your circumstances and doesn't solve your financial problems or find solutions to financial problems.

The Bible teaches you about love, relationships, morals, ethics, and a standard of living. A Christian lifestyle. It may give you a few scriptures on finances and serving the community, how to be polite, loving, compassionate, giving, forgiving, and virtues.

You can pray all day, have a prayer chain going on around he world, and still you have to have the right coping skills, life skills, problem solving skills, be able to adapt, adjust, problem shoot like MacGyver, and if you're sitting around waiting for someone to show up at times you're pretty screwed if you don't know how to help yourself. Eventually the person has to take some kind of action to better there lives, and help themselves.

I don't mean to offend you, but I'm a Human Service Worker, and understand we have a lot of social issues and social problems because the majority of people out their don't know how to problem solve, and have the right mindset, education, coping skills, and more worried about getting high, drunk, having sex, partying, having a good old time, and when life hits hard, don't understand at all why they're in the situation they're in, and how on earth did they get there, blame it on everyone else, and it's everyone else's fault why they don't have an education, why they don't have a job, why they have bad relationships, why their children are in foster care, why their children are taken away, and I watched a woman go to church every weekend, go home and yell at her kids all day and abuse them, date a drunk, and another woman screaming outside because the neighbors were watching her fight with her boyfriend and being a lunatic.

I've watched so many scenario's where people don't know why they're in the situation they're in, and it all comes down to their life choices, their belief system, and not getting past their fears, taking the help when it's provided, not wanting to follow rules, restrictions, policies, procedures, and even if the bible is tossed in the mix, they don't use it, they still don't comply, and they quit and give up, because it's too hard to show up for appointments, do what they're asked , to budget money, go apply for jobs, or show up for class or training when it is given.

There resistant to change, and If you go volunteer at your local non-profit, you will see what I mean. They don't want to change in some cases. If you study Ruby Payne, you will see there are those who are honestly wanting to help themselves and others who do not.

People make a choice to be where they are, and they don't want to help themselves truly, because if they did, than they would do what they're meant to do, and be on their way.

When you enable them, baby them, and allow them to play victim, they just live off the system for generations and teach their children to follow in the same emotional and mental patterns, and do nothing.

I hate to say all that, but you just have to go to your local college and listen to college students who are welfare, dressed up in nice clothes, new hair dues, nice finger nails, and then they sit down, and complain while they're getting a free education, how under privelaged they are, how they have five kids, and how they don't get enough money from the state, but they have their nice bible out on the desk, and than giving that speech. Complain about how hard it is in life.

I watched this the whole time I was going to college. And I rolled my eyes, because they blamed me and my anscestor's for why they're life didn't turn out for them in the 2,000's. And in My Cultural Diversity Course this was a huge discussion. I stated back then, they had the same opportunity that year as me to sit in that same classroom and learn the same education. They got a free education while I paid for mine on student loans.

I 've talked to all kinds of people online on reddit, facebook, google plus, twitter, virtual reality games and you will find the same scenario. You can read it on blogs, you can listen to them on You Tube, you can find them anywhere and any place complaining about life, and I just don't even listen to it much since 2015. There are a zillion excuses why they hang out on video games and social media, instead of educating themselves online. There are tons of Universities and College's, Open Source, this forum, and I rolled my eyes the last two days because some kid was ranting about his life, pointed out resources, and the response, I already tried everything, and made up some excuse. I didn't help him after that, because I gave him what he wanted someone to listen to him, pointed out resources, gave him ideas how to correct his problems, and still he didn't want to do anything. Many people are like this.

Problem solving is necessary in life period. Problem shooting is necessary. You either know how to help yourself or keep going around in circles complaining why your life sucks because you keep doing the same thing you've always done, instead of getting off the victim mentality, and taking a different road.

While it may be a process, a lot of work, a lot of sacrifice, you really have to take personal responsibility for your life, your time, your relationships, your choices, your thoughts, your emotions, your actions, your communication style, your attitude, your excuses, and learn to solve your own problems first and than be an Entrepreneur who helps solve the world's problems. If you haven't mastered the first part you can't master the second part.
My dear lady, you are a very kind and wise person. No worries, you are preaching to the choir. I will get up again tomorrow and problem solve, just as I did today, and every other day. I’m here for the long haul.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.