The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are You Profiting off the BITCOIN wave?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
we should have a handful of Bitcoin Meeeelionaires on here :cool:.

Attention, excessive use of the word meeelion and million to follow:

I'm a crypto multi meeelionaire to the point I could lose multi meeeeelions and would still be a multiple meeelionaire.

I also know a couple of others that I met here in 2013 and still communicate with them on a regular basis away from this forum, they are millionaires too.

Two projects I've founded in the cryptospace sometimes have combined marketcaps of over 100 meeeelion dollars and do multiple millions in trade volume on a daily basis (at the beginning of the year they were only in the 10 million zone if that)... I can confirm it feels good when you create something that explodes in value.

Now I have half my portfolio invested in what I believe to be gen 3 coins and I went in hard from the start. When I say hard I mean I have been pumping millions of $$ worth of ethereum and bitcoin into them because they far exceed what any of the former projects are capable of.

If you want to get seriously rich by pouring money (that you can lose) into cryptocurrencies it's best to do your research and invest ahead of the trends... you also get to feel smug about being in the smart money category :p

Btc and Ltc etc are gen one and have massive network effects plus they are currently perceived as being stores of value like gold and silver.

Ethereum is an example of a gen two blockchain platform offering smart contracts (so more usability than gen 1), you would of been happy investing a few k into this in 2014 / 2015 / 2016.

Gen 3's are getting established and I'd rather have millions in these because they will have blockchains that'll shame previous generations... a Kitty app just crashed the ethereum network for example... that's just going to make it seriously difficult for growth if one single app caused it to crash.

Gen 3 cryptos you can run massively demanding apps like an entire social media platform (which has already been proven in Steem btw) along side hundreds of thousands of other demanding applications from video streaming to internet on the blockchain <<< that is where we are heading and that is something you can potentially start being a part of way ahead of the rest of the market right now.

You can see the proof right here in terms of how far gen 1 and gen 2 are lagging behind. Instead of looking at marketcaps lets take a look at blockchain usage.

Block'tivity <<< You can use the following site to monitor in real time the number of transactions on the top projects and how much their transaction rate is bearing load on their maximum capacity. You can see that both Bitcoin and Ethereum are at max load and therefore can't take anymore use right now. This is not good for mass adoption because developers wanting to do normal things for normal users who don't want any friction are being encumbered. However, neither Bitcoin nor Ethereum have the most transaction demand on them and yet they are at max capacity. Something I mentioned earlier called Steem is number one in terms of tx demand per day. In fact if you look at that list you will notice that Steem and BTS (which is number 4) have combined transaction volume more than both Btc + Eth. The important thing to note is that inspite of the fact they have more transaction strain than the others they are only at a fraction of their max capacity... Whilst I'm not investing in them I believe they are precursers to the true gen 3 cryptocurrencies. They are by miles the best performing cryptos in that list (talking about performance as opposed to price)... BTS and Steem were both invented by the same guy who is in turn taking everything he learned and ramping that up to enable potential infinite scaling via multiple thread capacity... opening the doors for more or less anything to be built on blockchain with no friction... surely that is the future?

Crypto is like the internet in 1994 and blockchain will become used by the mainstream for everyday things. You can use blockchain to build businesses and I would encourage people to do so as there are clear advantages to blockchain driven platforms vs traditional centralized (a major one being incentivization of participation on the network) the tools to make it easier for everyone to participate are being built and will be arriving over the next few years.

The bubbles will pop, last minute speculators will get hurt and tears will flow... bear markets will arrive at some point... but the technology is gaining traction at a rate that will become unstoppable and there are so many ways to get involved not just as being an outside speculator... people are recruiting in this scene and the posibilities to make your own fastlanes in it are only growing... speaking from experience having done it myself. Anyway that's enough of that for now just couldn't help but jump in after seeing an old thread bumped and remembering my time here back in 2013 and how far things have come in Cryptocurrency over the past few years. Yes there are millionaires like myself that have been here for a while and there will be tons more to come as blockchain or decentralized ledger technologoy is still in it's infancy.

Today on this very forum you tend to see people talking about wanting to build online ventures... the online part isn't going anywhere only without knowing or not they will eventually switch to writing about online "blockchain" startups... sounds crazy right now but it's not far fetched... the moment gen 3s or whatever else get their network effect, everyday people (the people you know that played candycrush and posted jokes on facebook everyday) will end up participating on them.

There is a crypto project I founded and run and it's all about offering the tools for people to build their own decentralized products. It's an ongoing development and we have people from all over the world working on everything from the codebase to marketing, our community is in the thousands and we'll just keep building away and upping our value proposition no matter what the markets do.

Tl;dr Crypto has been my fastlane it could be yours too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:
D

DeletedUser2

our in house atty recently put out a press release saying he would now take bitcoin for his services. it has generated TONS of new business for him.

I bought 5 bitcoins back when they were around 20 bucks. more for the novelty than the investment

there is alot of traction outside the US for bitcoin. however in side the US, there is alot of fear from FINCEN and the anti money laundering laws.

I think I will offer coaching in bitcoin and see how that works

:)

Z

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
I've been following Bitcoin for a few months now and have just been able to get over missing out on taking a position in January when it was roughly 10 USD = 1 BTC. Now depending on the day, hour or latest news article the price can vary dramatically. I'm not involved with too many stocks, but it's rare that you see something valued as high at bitcoin is that's so volatile.

I'm not here to convince you to buy Bitcoin or believe that it's the future of currency. I think there's a long way to go there, but what I do see is an opportunity to make money quickly.

I took X,XXX and bought in at $64.00 a few days ago and now the price is hovering around $90.00 USD. That's like a 140% return in a few days that I'm exiting on and re-entering when it crashes again.

Anyone else doing the same?

AntiGuru

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
Haven't you guys read M.J's book.

When everyone and his dog is talking about something then it's time to get out!

Agreed, that's investing 101. As I said originally, I'm not looking to speculate on higher Btc/USD prices (that bubble has already popped anyway) I'm looking beyond that and I see Bitcoin and it's brethren (i.e Litecoin) as alternative currencies that will probably be trivialized by the mainstream for a long time but are actually inexorable game-changers.

By accepting Btc as a payment method I essentially build up another pool of capital without shelling out "money" for it (I did the same with DGC's - digital gold currencies) years ago and was able to gradually build up what amounted to several pounds in physical gold which we still hold today.

What I like about Bitcoin is that it's an end-run around interventionist policies which are driving all fiat currencies to zero, it's immune from confiscation (no "bail-ins" will be forthcoming in Bitcoin) and about as portable as it gets. One of things I noticed was that Bitcoin really hit critical mass in the wake of the Cyprus situation and I think the realization that governments and quasi-gov agencies can and will change the rules on-the-fly to suit their own ends is one of the attractions of crypto-currencies.

I think going forward we will see Bitcoin acceptance increase, the emergence of more ancillary services (banking, transaction processing) and an overall increase in money velocity within crypto-currencies.

It's in the very early goings yet and frankly, the sooner any of these bubbles pop the better.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
I was never conceived about BitCoin fluff and the shut down of MtGox.com for me is a further prof of its huge problems.
People buying huge computers to mine bitcoin only, and sitting down in their asses watching TV, doing nothing and hoping to mine as much money as possible from the machines. Are u serious?

I make over $10,000 a month trading cryptocurrency. Is that not enough?

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast

WOW IN 2017.

And to answer the OP’s question, yes. Miniscule, but yes. But not like you did from 2013.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've been following Bitcoin for a few months now and have just been able to get over missing out on taking a position in January when it was roughly 10 USD = 1 BTC. Now depending on the day, hour or latest news article the price can vary dramatically. I'm not involved with too many stocks, but it's rare that you see something valued as high at bitcoin is that's so volatile.

I'm not here to convince you to buy Bitcoin or believe that it's the future of currency. I think there's a long way to go there, but what I do see is an opportunity to make money quickly.

I took X,XXX and bought in at $64.00 a few days ago and now the price is hovering around $90.00 USD. That's like a 140% return in a few days that I'm exiting on and re-entering when it crashes again.

Anyone else doing the same?

Wow, this was 4 years ago. I wonder how it turned out? Is Ben's investment now worth ONE-MEEEEEELION DOLLARS?

mThree2K

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Mar 18, 2017
Málaga
Attention, excessive use of the word meeelion and million to follow:

I'm a crypto multi meeelionaire to the point I could lose multi meeeeelions and would still be a multiple meeelionaire.

I also know a couple of others that I met here in 2013 and still communicate with them on a regular basis away from this forum, they are millionaires too.

Two projects I've founded in the cryptospace sometimes have combined marketcaps of over 100 meeeelion dollars and do multiple millions in trade volume on a daily basis (at the beginning of the year they were only in the 10 million zone if that)... I can confirm it feels good when you create something that explodes in value.

Now I have half my portfolio invested in what I believe to be gen 3 coins and I went in hard from the start. When I say hard I mean I have been pumping millions of $$ worth of ethereum and bitcoin into them because they far exceed what any of the former projects are capable of.

If you want to get seriously rich by pouring money (that you can lose) into cryptocurrencies it's best to do your research and invest ahead of the trends... you also get to feel smug about being in the smart money category [emoji14]

Btc and Ltc etc are gen one and have massive network effects plus they are currently perceived as being stores of value like gold and silver.

Ethereum is an example of a gen two blockchain platform offering smart contracts (so more usability than gen 1), you would of been happy investing a few k into this in 2014 / 2015 / 2016.

Gen 3's are getting established and I'd rather have millions in these because they will have blockchains that'll shame previous generations... a Kitty app just crashed the ethereum network for example... that's just going to make it seriously difficult for growth if one single app caused it to crash.

Gen 3 cryptos you can run massively demanding apps like an entire social media platform (which has already been proven in Steem btw) along side hundreds of thousands of other demanding applications from video streaming to internet on the blockchain <<< that is where we are heading and that is something you can potentially start being a part of way ahead of the rest of the market right now.

You can see the proof right here in terms of how far gen 1 and gen 2 are lagging behind. Instead of looking at marketcaps lets take a look at blockchain usage.

Block'tivity <<< You can use the following site to monitor in real time the number of transactions on the top projects and how much their transaction rate is bearing load on their maximum capacity. You can see that both Bitcoin and Ethereum are at max load and therefore can't take anymore use right now. This is not good for mass adoption because developers wanting to do normal things for normal users who don't want any friction are being encumbered. However, neither Bitcoin nor Ethereum have the most transaction demand on them and yet they are at max capacity. Something I mentioned earlier called Steem is number one in terms of tx demand per day. In fact if you look at that list you will notice that Steem and BTS (which is number 4) have combined transaction volume more than both Btc + Eth. The important thing to note is that inspite of the fact they have more transaction strain than the others they are only at a fraction of their max capacity... Whilst I'm not investing in them I believe they are precursers to the true gen 3 cryptocurrencies. They are by miles the best performing cryptos in that list (talking about performance as opposed to price)... BTS and Steem were both invented by the same guy who is in turn taking everything he learned and ramping that up to enable potential infinite scaling via multiple thread capacity... opening the doors for more or less anything to be built on blockchain with no friction... surely that is the future?

Crypto is like the internet in 1994 and blockchain will become used by the mainstream for everyday things. You can use blockchain to build businesses and I would encourage people to do so as there are clear advantages to blockchain driven platforms vs traditional centralized (a major one being incentivization of participation on the network) the tools to make it easier for everyone to participate are being built and will be arriving over the next few years.

The bubbles will pop, last minute speculators will get hurt and tears will flow... bear markets will arrive at some point... but the technology is gaining traction at a rate that will become unstoppable and there are so many ways to get involved not just as being an outside speculator... people are recruiting in this scene and the posibilities to make your own fastlanes in it are only growing... speaking from experience having done it myself. Anyway that's enough of that for now just couldn't help but jump in after seeing an old thread bumped and remembering my time here back in 2013 and how far things have come in Cryptocurrency over the past few years. Yes there are millionaires like myself that have been here for a while and there will be tons more to come as blockchain or decentralized ledger technologoy is still in it's infancy.

Today on this very forum you tend to see people talking about wanting to build online ventures... the online part isn't going anywhere only without knowing or not they will eventually switch to writing about online "blockchain" startups... sounds crazy right now but it's not far fetched... the moment gen 3s or whatever else get their network effect, everyday people (the people you know that played candycrush and posted jokes on facebook everyday) will end up participating on them.

There is a crypto project I founded and run and it's all about offering the tools for people to build their own decentralized products. It's an ongoing development and we have people from all over the world working on everything from the codebase to marketing, our community is in the thousands and we'll just keep building away and upping our value proposition no matter what the markets do.

Tl;dr Crypto has been my fastlane it could be yours too.
Damn now this is what I call an eyeopener, building uppon your post I found an interesting article about gen 2/3 coins:

Steem and other 3rd generation cryptocurrencies are better than bitcoin -- The New Economy Without Banksters — Steemit

See, all this time I have been thinking that there must be something more advanced and less limited than bitcoin because the chatter about it's limitations and saturation just won't stop, same thing with ETH (although more advanced it's also limited... A Kitty app, seriously?). This is it, you shed some light on this matter. Big thanks for the Block'tivity link too!

Enviado desde mi Mi Note 2 mediante Tapatalk

AntiGuru

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
I like Bitcoin and what it represents, but I'm not planning on speculating in the price movements. A few weeks ago I enabled Bitcoin payments for one of my web services companies and plan to accumulate that way.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
[video=youtube;0UKC7iaBKvs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UKC7iaBKvs[/video]

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
140% returns happening every day in the options trading market, in a much more stable environment.

I do like Bitcoin, but I think the way to play it isn't to daytrade it, it's to think of it as a long term speculation. I think it has a "chance" to become a real accepted currency, and that possibility is probably worth putting some play money into it and forgetting about it.

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling

I don't think everyone is talking about it yet. Maybe people who are hooked into the web, but when your neighbor says HEY HAVE YOU HEARD OF BITCOIN? That's when the bubble is here.

I'm having a good time playing around with it now. :coolgleamA:

Nick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 25, 2011
I also play a little bit with buying and selling bitcoins, mostly for fun though. I am a firm believer in the technology behind it, not sure about this whole speculative / valuation bubble. This could go either way, but it will not change the value of the tech behind it - unless a better crypting algorithm is found.

DTS Ltd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 17, 2012

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I thought this coin was only used in the deep web....
it's gained enough traction as to where big name VC's are investing in bitcoin companies.

Fred Wilson (Twitter, Tumblr, Foursquare, Meetup, Etsy..and more) Invested $5 Million in a company after not investing in anything for over 2 years.

Peter Thiel co-founder of Paypal and First outside investor in Facebook invested $2mil in another company.

Funds are being setup to solely invest in the bitcoin space. It's probably the easiest way to get VC funding at the moment

Pineapple

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 3, 2013
I was actually mining and doing a little bit of trading with bitcoin a little while back.

I did it mostly for fun, made a little bit off of it. I think it's a very solid idea, but not sure where to go with it and don't think I would really like to get back into it.

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...rush-means-real-cash-for-hardware-makers.html

Shovel Makers

Korb, 24, has persuaded 65 people to invest 907 Bitcoins worth more than $100,000 in the Korb & Co. Investments Mining Fund. The group, which has a prospectus online, has bought computers from Butterfly, KnCMiner and CoinTerra to crunch data. His CoinTerra gear has yet to be delivered because the startup hasn’t begun shipping yet.

“Like during the gold rush, it’s the shovel companies that made money,”

Korb said in an interview.
Korb, based in Burlington, Vermont, is taking a risk, since the cryptographic challenges embedded in Bitcoins get increasingly complicated as more digital money is created. That in turn fuels greater demand for computing power. The virtual currency was designed that way, so that the money self-regulates supply and prevents out-of-control inflation.

Since being introduced four years ago by a programmer or group using the name Satoshi Nakamoto, there are now 11.8 million Bitcoins in circulation, according to Bitcoincharts, a website that tracks the digital currency’s activity.

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...rush-means-real-cash-for-hardware-makers.html

Shovel Makers

Korb, 24, has persuaded 65 people to invest 907 Bitcoins worth more than $100,000 in the Korb & Co. Investments Mining Fund. The group, which has a prospectus online, has bought computers from Butterfly, KnCMiner and CoinTerra to crunch data. His CoinTerra gear has yet to be delivered because the startup hasn’t begun shipping yet.

Korb said in an interview.
Korb, based in Burlington, Vermont, is taking a risk, since the cryptographic challenges embedded in Bitcoins get increasingly complicated as more digital money is created. That in turn fuels greater demand for computing power. The virtual currency was designed that way, so that the money self-regulates supply and prevents out-of-control inflation.

Since being introduced four years ago by a programmer or group using the name Satoshi Nakamoto, there are now 11.8 million Bitcoins in circulation, according to Bitcoincharts, a website that tracks the digital currency’s activity.

Man oh man... I'm looking at the price today and it's C R A Z Y. If everyone would have bought in when I said to, then we'd all be driving our Porshes down the fastlane :)

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
Did anyone else make a ton of cash off of this the past few weeks? I sold at 300, 500, 600 and 700!!!!

China is really pushing the market as well as financial stability voiced by the United States. It's slowly deflating, but still crazy how big Bitcoin has gotten this year.

If you were silly enough to follow my advice back in April (it was a huge gamble), you would have gotten a 7 - 8x return on your investment.

Interesting post: 10 Reasons Why Bitcoin is Skyrocketing

Notes:

I've chatted with JayKim briefly about Bitcoin Mining, but because the ASIC miners really dominate the space think that I may move into Litecoin mining which is GPU based.

My non-economic theory on this is that this isn't Lord of The Rings and there's not one bitcoin to rule them all. There will be other cryptocurrencies and now is a good time to get involved with Litecoin while it's less competitive.

Finally, like Mark Cuban always says you need to have a warchest of cash on hand at all times so you can make investments like this that may or may not payoff in the long term.

Where are you guys going from here?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Did anyone else make a ton of cash off of this the past few weeks? I sold at 300, 500, 600 and 700!!!!
I took out my original investment slightly over $600..I believe I'll regret that decision as I think we'll be in the 100's of billions (market cap) in the not too distant future. I'm up more than I'd like to say.

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA

Shovel Makers

This is what I've been thinking of lately. Where the opportunities and needs are as the publicity around bitcoin drives more and more interest, apart from speculation on the currency itself. Bitcoin insurance? ebay for bitcoin? Replicating existing popular platforms that won't accept bitcoin, for bitcoin users?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The people making the big bucks are the amd and NVidia.

Trust me, they are far more focused on winning sockets in upcoming cell phones.

A single socket win = profit of the chip x number of cell phones manufactured.

They may have tens of thousands of video cards sitting on shelves around the world but a few bucks profit in hundreds of millions of phones (per socket per phone) is a much nicer number.

DTS Ltd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 17, 2012
Some current analysis of bitcoin:

http://cointelegraph.com/news/112335/bitcoin-analysis-week-of-aug-24-intro-to-trend

We are currently Long-Term Bullish, Intermediate-Term Bearish, and Short-Term Bullish. We will treat the US$500 as the support that is holding the price up, so assuming it does; the highest probability target is the bottom of the triangle at US$560. Once it gets there, the situation will be re-evaluated, but the most likely outcome is some more downside into early September.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.