The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are you ignoring the gold right in front of you?

James90

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 2, 2019
Hawaii
I got one, I’d appreciate some insights

Aircraft Technician / Line Maintenance (we work on live passenger flights)

I work for a major Airline, based out of Honolulu, Hawaii. Every aircraft technician working in the U.S is required to have an FAA A&P license, which allows us to work on basically any aircraft (with specialized training in between by the employer)

I can’t think much of Fastlane ideas in this particular profession I’m in.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City

I work for a major Airline, based out of Honolulu, Hawaii. Every aircraft technician working in the U.S is required to have an FAA A&P license, which allows us to work on basically any aircraft (with specialized training in between by the employer)

Beyond checking the seats for loose change....
Pay attention to processes and look for opportunities to streamline or improve something that will save the airline, airport, or passenger time and money.

Make a course laying out the steps to get licensed

Show folks cheaper ways to travel

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
1st line Helpdesk here.

My company created this cool portal where you can request software, once approved by the manager it adds to your account and deploys to your machine without any human intervention. Same with new starter accounts etc, sets them up on its own.

Software is assigned to Active Directory groups -> SCCM Deploys the software, so the portal literally just adds an account to a group. Seemless. Always thought it would be a good idea to make myself, but not sure how you would go about getting clients. How do you market something like that
Hi I'm an SCCM engineer over here in the states. The companies that enable that cool portal make a mint! 1e, adaptiva, etc. Plus, there is training, certification, etc.
A broader look at an Helpdesk person is customer service. If you can handle a phone there is cold calling, warm calling, etc. Just a few ideas.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico

A friend of a friend who used to be a firefighter & paramedic--and who's a bit older & wanted to get out of the trenches--switched jobs & now does sales for a firefighting training & training equipment company.

So, you might consider something similar: creating a company that does specialized training for aircraft technicians.

James90

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 2, 2019
Hawaii
A friend of a friend who used to be a firefighter & paramedic--and who's a bit older & wanted to get out of the trenches--switched jobs & now does sales for a firefighting training & training equipment company.

So, you might consider something similar: creating a company that does specialized training for aircraft technicians.

I would imagine the specialized training for aircraft technicians is ultra-high. Major airlines like to keep all training in-house for quality assurance and economics. I've only worked for major airlines, and I have not come across 3rd party trainers before. Although my company does train other employees from other airlines, it's because they are hired to work on our planes on out-stations.

Although there could be an opportunity for sales training equipment, that increases the effectiveness and cuts costs of flying technicians out to training. Perhaps Virtual Reality software.

DrScream

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Oct 4, 2019
1st line Helpdesk here.

My company created this cool portal where you can request software, once approved by the manager it adds to your account and deploys to your machine without any human intervention. Same with new starter accounts etc, sets them up on its own.

Software is assigned to Active Directory groups -> SCCM Deploys the software, so the portal literally just adds an account to a group. Seemless. Always thought it would be a good idea to make myself, but not sure how you would go about getting clients. How do you market something like that

Lots of different ways to get clients. Create an MVP & hire someone to create an animation that shows what your software does (aka what the problem most managers have & how you intend to solve said problem). Then you just run ads on different platforms with the animation and assess which platform performs the best for your market niche. Facebook learns as you pump money into it so you'll lose some money in the beginning but after you metaphorically hit the vein you'll start bringing in sales. Easier said than done obviously but not impossible.

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Lots of different ways to get clients. Create an MVP & hire someone to create an animation that shows what your software does (aka what the problem most managers have & how you intend to solve said problem). Then you just run ads on different platforms with the animation and assess which platform performs the best for your market niche. Facebook learns as you pump money into it so you'll lose some money in the beginning but after you metaphorically hit the vein you'll start bringing in sales. Easier said than done obviously but not impossible.
this is a bloody good idea

diogoatmelo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Oct 30, 2019
Portugal
I'm a software developer, able to develop backend and frontend. I currently work for a company that develops software to optimize transportation.

My biggest interests are football (soccer in the US) and reading.

Maybe I'm missing a way to combine software developing + football or software developing + reading/books.

Low Chi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Oct 22, 2019
@NMdad I like the "acres of diamond (Russell Conwell) approach" of your initial posting a lot!

When I read @AceVentures line "What could I use that skillset for? " I thought of another of my income streams I used:

How can your expertise be used to trade ideas for money? I've been a serial solver (single solver and contributor in solver teams) in the Open Innovation field for several years in many OI challenges.

Many people in this thread learned their skills in a specific field and some may be interested to adopt the knowledge by joining the Solver Tribe and earn money for ideas. Besides that you'll find useful "market needs" at the websites too - which could lead to own business ideas, solutions and products - even if you don't want to compete with hundreds of other solvers.

Here are 2 of the bigger players in the intermediary market of OI with direct links to their challenge subsites:

Here is a list of other OI platforms:

Have fun :)

OnTheWrox

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 14, 2019
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Business Systems Analyst in IT / supply chains.

Worked at a Fortune 100 semiconductor company and took a voluntary sep package. Went to a small company that imports millwork from China. Essentially the same job (overseas manufacturing and supply chain management).

I wear 100 hats... mostly, my job is to design software to streamline/automate processes in the supply chain. I sometimes design small-ish apps in Excel/VBA, I am very proficient at SQL, I have a background in usability/human factors design, I've worked in inside sales, factory planning, samples, rebates, fulfillment, and some logistics... basically the entire supply chain except materials/sourcing.

I KNOW I'm sitting on a gold mine with my skills and knowledge, but I'm shit at selling myself, and I'm shit at seeing the gold in front of my face.

After I left the Fortune 100 company, I tried to find clients on Upwork and Guru, and I found a couple small clients, but not enough to pay the bills, so I found my current job.

I can do that stuff in my sleep. I love helping companies like that! And I could train junior developers and/or hire it out to my standards and get it CENTS-compatible.

I just... have *no idea* how to find clients... and I have no idea what gold may be beating me over the head. Someone once told me, "Chimichangatime, for such a smart guy, you're pretty stupid." :frown:

Couldn't you break down the types of roles you're able to train and create online courses ?

You'd mind map it all out that in of itself would be super valuable and then create the online course in whichever format is applicable to the content. There are so many people out in the world that want to do what you've mastered such as the hats you listed up above. Creating one course that's the basics of one role but then going on to create a course that is of the same role except higher level for those wanting to move up in management. There's little tips and tricks which I'm sure you're aware of that you could increase the value helping people move along in their careers. Just a thought that came to mind when reading your comment.

quicksort

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 9, 2015
Have been a software engineer at a a couple FANG companies. Have always made nothing but internal tools that were specific to the companies I worked at. The stuff I've built and maintained has done things like help tech support folks tweak some settings on people's computers, help people tweak settings on their own computers or request help from a tech, decide who is allowed to log in to what computer, track which computers are assigned to which people, track what small, internal services are running on them (e.g., you want to run some build system for your team), decide who and which sets of people have access to which resources, monitor for events that may require hardware maintenance or replacement, securely store small pieces of information that must only be shared with a few people, ensure software is installed remotely or forbid certain software is installed, and some other stuff that is so specific I am not sure I would be allowed to describe it at all.

Maybe I could do some sort of enterprise software tools? I never really considered doing anything that would be useful to a business, but I guess that's what I've accidentally become good at.

I was previously thinking, maybe I could make a list of the top couple thousand items on Amazon across different categories and just go down the list trying to think if I could see an obvious way to make something more useful, but maybe trying to think of tools that businesses would pay for is a better approach.

chimichangatime

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 1, 2018
sacramento, ca
Couldn't you break down the types of roles you're able to train and create online courses ?

You'd mind map it all out that in of itself would be super valuable and then create the online course in whichever format is applicable to the content. There are so many people out in the world that want to do what you've mastered such as the hats you listed up above. Creating one course that's the basics of one role but then going on to create a course that is of the same role except higher level for those wanting to move up in management. There's little tips and tricks which I'm sure you're aware of that you could increase the value helping people move along in their careers. Just a thought that came to mind when reading your comment.
Yup! After much brainstorming with a friend who's killing it in his sales job by focusing on the basics (adding value, seeking to help first, all the MFL stuff but he's never read the book, he just lives it), I decided that several courses in "How to X, Step by Step" would be super valuable.

I've been researching various platforms (I know, I should make my own, but e-learning isn't my core strength... and I also know that I should host myself, but STARTING is better than excuses, no?) and there simply isn't something out there that rolls stuff up in a real-world way.

I think the closest is "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python," that's sort of a conceptual template I could creatively steal.

Combine this with a YouTube series where I give a high-level overview that a professional developer/BA could use, but you've got to pay for the course to get the details that I've figured out if you're not at that level. A freebie to show competence, then the course for the details.

For example, it's trivial to make the contents of one drop-down change based on another drop-down, but not in Excel when the data is from your SQL database. I spent HOURS fiddling with the code to get this to work. The examples online didn't work or were too old to work with Office 365.

Another example is providing the user with their own levers to control forecasting model output, and making the UI/back-end independent enough to have it in Excel and on the web. Hint: there's not really a middle layer in Excel for an MVC-type dev model.

And who hasn't needed a strategy to deal with legacy code and bad database design while you develop your web application in parallel to your legacy desktop application? "It has to work in both tools." And the subsequent switching off of the legacy app, and hopefully minimizing refactoring in the new tool?

AKA "changing the tires on the bus as it drives 55mph down the highway."

"Excel is the second best tool for everything." I don't know who said that, but TONS of businesses run on Excel, and you can pry Excel out of their cold, dead hands! I don't want to go around fixing those businesses, I'd rather show intrepid folks like myself how to do it. And charge handsomely for it.

iced_steez

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 18, 2019
I made that same mistake when i was switching from business to business but not realising that i was already sitting on a gold mine. i had 2 rental properties and never thought to expand it.
I then went to start a detergent business and then a website which both failed.

my turn around was when i posted my thoughts on starting a website, A guy from this forum suggested that i focused on what ever that was aready bringing me income and guess what... it was the bestadvice anyone could have given and now im back on track, making progress on my rental real estate faster than ever. thanks to the forum!!!

This makes absolute sense. I have one property and am about to acquire another one, with plans to continue to grow my Real Estate portfolio. I enjoy rental real estate as I feel and try to provide as much value as possible to tenants by paying attention to small details within the properties and making improvements where necessary/desired. I disapprove of 'slum-lords' as it is quite disgraceful to the people occupying the property. Take some pride in what you own and are letting other people use to start off.

Where I struggle is the attachment to the current job because I need to finance the properties and need the income for down-payments, ongoing maintenance, etc.

How have you/others approached this issue on being tied to a job while acquiring properties?

lunga ngcobo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 29, 2019
This makes absolute sense. I have one property and am about to acquire another one, with plans to continue to grow my Real Estate portfolio. I enjoy rental real estate as I feel and try to provide as much value as possible to tenants by paying attention to small details within the properties and making improvements where necessary/desired. I disapprove of 'slum-lords' as it is quite disgraceful to the people occupying the property. Take some pride in what you own and are letting other people use to start off.

Where I struggle is the attachment to the current job because I need to finance the properties and need the income for down-payments, ongoing maintenance, etc.

How have you/others approached this issue on being tied to a job while acquiring properties?
I would recommend sticking to your job until your properties make enough money to cover you personal expenses and you are able to have extra cash to reinvest in your properties. Financing your next project is a great idea but its even better when you can put down a chunk of your own money to minimize the loan repayments.

What I do is not buy any property that i cannot modify or that does not have enough yard to expand. Adding a few units to an existing property is the cheapest way to getting a bigger income compared to buying a new property. Dividing a house into smaller units is a lot profitable than renting a full home to a single person and it minimizes the risk of unpaid rent.

The above strategy has helped me make unbelievable profits in single properties and that's why my portfolio is growing rapidly without needing any finance.

Be flexible. Property doesn't have to only be rented out as residential. adding other businesses to it is also highly profitable. a property may have 8 units rentals and you can add a shop or a salon up front. these can be rented out or you can operate them on your own and make lots of daily profits.

A few of my properties close by have either a local tuck shop or food take away which can be managed by one or two people. I collect the income twice a week while i supply them driving around with my mini truck. I know its a bit of work but an upfront shop makes enough money to double the properties profits. When I reach my property targets then I will also rent out the shops to some other people and retire!

Hope this makes sense also...

Last edited:
D

Deleted74396

I've only ever managed my own Facebook pages/groups and marketed my own businesses utilising my social media skills, and despite having success, I can't find where I'd fit in providing a service for clients. My main method is organic and I'm not great at paid ads which seems to be what 99% (well everyone I talk to, I say 99 as I'm sure it's not 100%!) of people are after. I'm not sure what type of clients to go after, what services to offer, etc.

pumpking